Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,037,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think you missed the point. The "Gateway Region" of the US is most likely St. Louis (you know, the city that lost out to Charlotte for hosting the 2012 Democratic National Convention). There could very well be an agenda behind this poster's obvious tone.
Aah, rep points for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,194,298 times
Quote:
In all honesty, many are 30 somethings looking to start a family (or 20 somethings looking to start a career). Anyways, DC is out of Charlotte's league. However, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Charlotte as "hick-ville USA" either. I mean, this is the city's mayor and city council...

Charlotte City Council Home

In the local elections a few weeks ago, an openly lesbian black Democrat beat a Republican straight white male (78% to 22%) for a city council seat. Here is that news story...

Dems sweep Charlotte council seats; 1st openly gay person electe - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
Charlotte elects first openly lesbian council member - Yahoo! News

First of all, I'll agree, it's preposterous that anyone would assert that Charlotte could be considered "hicksville". Charlotte is by far more cosmpolitan than a lot of northern cities, such as Scranton, Buffalo, Allentown, Providence, Hartford, and the like. Regardless as to whether there is a significant percentage of northern transplants, the native southerners in the area, by and large, aren't hicks. They're typical suburbanites. Why do people act like the South is the home of "hicks", and act as though they don't have some of these "hicks" themselves?

Secondly, why do you feel the need to justify Charlotte by posting a picture of the City Council. Is it because there's black people in it, and it represents the absence of white people (which we all know southern whites are hicks), while at the same time putting forth the image of diversity and the idea that black people can't be hicks.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Charlotte bashing is typical. I see it everywhere. Its only because people are envious of the city's success and how fast its growing.
And you get reps too!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
The city of Charlotte is like a mega Wal Mart.... people are moving there because it's cheap. The COL in Charlotte is low for a reason, look at the quality of the city.
Where do you live?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
First of all, I'll agree, it's preposterous that anyone would assert that Charlotte could be considered "hicksville". Charlotte is by far more cosmpolitan than a lot of northern cities, such as Scranton, Buffalo, Allentown, Providence, Hartford, and the like. Regardless as to whether there is a significant percentage of northern transplants, the native southerners in the area, by and large, aren't hicks. They're typical suburbanites. Why do people act like the South is the home of "hicks", and act as though they don't have some of these "hicks" themselves?

Secondly, why do you feel the need to justify Charlotte by posting a picture of the City Council. Is it because there's black people in it, and it represents the absence of white people (which we all know southern whites are hicks), while at the same time putting forth the image of diversity and the idea that black people can't be hicks.
Uhm, I think he was showing the diversity POLITICALLY in the city! RELAX

Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,262,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Exactly, educated men and women (of more than one race and sexual orientations) standing together united; running this great city. Absolutely NOTHING like what is expected of a "hick-ville".

To be honest, your race is NOT what gets you elected in Charlotte; it is your political ideology (the way it should be). Today, Dems win in Charlotte; Republicans lose (race and sexual orientations are non-factors).

Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
The problem I have with it is the mindset behind it.

If everyone within the city council were white, even if they were elected (which they are), then people on this forum would cringe. The problem is that it seems that there are a lot of people on this forum who view white people negatively, or as something that is not what they want people to think of their city as having. Do you really think that he would have shown that picture had the city council been all-white? No, he wouldn't. Do you think that he would have shown the picture if the city council were all-black. There's a very good chance that he would, for in his mind, he'd likely had viewed it as "diversity", regardless the lack of diversity, and the idea that a southern city was behind its "racial past".

Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly, educated men and women (of more than one race and sexual orientations) standing together united; running this great city. Absolutely NOTHING like what is expected of a "hick-ville".

To be honest, your race is NOT what gets you elected in Charlotte; it is your political ideology (the way it should be). Today, Dems win in Charlotte; Republicans lose (race and sexual orientations are non-factors).
Race is what gets you elected in Charlotte, for the simple fact that blacks vote overwhelmingly for Democrats, while whites split their votes between Republicans and Democrats. In a city that has a large black population, the Democrat-solidarity of the black vote will get a Democrat elected in areas/cities that are under sixty percent white.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The problem I have with it is the mindset behind it.

If everyone within the city council were white, even if they were elected (which they are), then people on this forum would cringe. The problem is that it seems that there are a lot of people on this forum who view white people negatively, or as something that is not what they want people to think of their city as having. Do you really think that he would have shown that picture had the city council been all-white? No, he wouldn't. Do you think that he would have shown the picture if the city council were all-black. There's a very good chance that he would, for in his mind, he'd likely had viewed it as "diversity", regardless the lack of diversity, and the idea that a southern city was behind its "racial past".
I posted a pic with 6 black and 6 white elected officials in it and this is the tripe that is posted in response?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Race is what gets you elected in Charlotte, for the simple fact that blacks vote overwhelmingly for Democrats, while whites split their votes between Republicans and Democrats. In a city that has a large black population, the Democrat-solidarity of the black vote will get a Democrat elected in areas/cities that are under sixty percent white.
What about the white dude (democrat) that got voted in on Charlotte's eastside (a heavily black, hispanic, and Asian area of town)? He was on one of my video links from a few pages back. Did you miss him? There is also a new comer to town (white female from Denver, Colorado) who also won a few weeks ago. She too was a Democrat. Like I said, Dems win in Charlotte, race is not the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City