Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After LA, the most cosmopolitan city is:
New York City 48 70.59%
Chicago 8 11.76%
D.C. 7 10.29%
Houston 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times

Advertisements

LA is definitley not a given. Miami is more cosmo than LA

Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 PM

370 posts, read 371,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
LA is definitley not a given. Miami is more cosmo than LA
LOL wow, what a delusional hater.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
You are enjoying getting your butt kicked all over this thread? There has not been one genuine agreement or ally that you have on this pathetic self defeating thread.
LOL! NOW you're finally understanding. LA speaks for itself. People will always love to hate on LA, and this thread shows that. Thanks for playing. Your jealousy has been as remarkable as it is entertaining.

Quote:
You don't care because you're lazy and in serious denial. It cracks me up because delusional people like you think everyone else is crazy. Grow up and get some help!
No, I don't care because LA owns. You know, I know it, and everyone else here knows it. That's why you keep coming back here, trying to fight the inevitable. I'd suggest you come to terms with your obvious complex regarding LA.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Both NYC and LA are diverse - having grown up in California and now living in New York, I believe that New York City is more diverse.

However there are other contributing factors that make a city "cosmopolitan". For example, NYC is:

The largest business center in the U.S. and one of the largest financial centers in the world. NYC is home to the headquarters of most banks and financial institutions in the U.S. as well as home to NYSE and Nasdaq. NYC has the largest number of foreign corporations of any U.S. city - one out of ten private sector jobs is for a foreign company.

The media capital of the country - which includes the television, advertising, music, newspaper and book publishing industries. Time Warner, the News Corporation, Viacom and Hearst Corp are all headquartered in NYC - which combined dominate the U.S. media market. The four major TV broadcast networks are headquartered in NYC - ABC, CBC, NBC and FOX. Seven of the eight global advertising agencies are headquartered in NYC. Two of the three national daily newspapers in the United States are New York papers - New York Times and Wall Street Journal. Three of the "Big Four" record labels headquarters are in the NYC - Sony, Universal and Warner Music Group - as well as others including MTV, HBO and Comedy Central. New York's Spanish-language daily newspaper is the largest in the nation. One third of independent films are produced in NYC. The list goes on...

The fashion capital of the country. NYC has the largest garment district in the U.S., has the largest fashion week (along with London, Paris and Milan) and is home to most major fashion labels - not to mention nearly all fashion media.

The arts and cultural capital of the country. The City government funds the arts with a larger annual budget than the National Endowment for the Arts. NYC is home to the Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center - the largest performing arts center in the U.S. and home to the Metropolitan Opera, NY Phillharmonic, NYC Ballet, the Julliard School and the NYC Opera - and Broadway - the heart of the performing arts industry in the U.S. with over 39 theaters with over 500 seats each. NYC is home to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, MoMA, the Whitney Museum of Modern American Art, the New Museum and over 500 other art galleries and 2000 arts organizations.

Additionally, NYC is home to the United Nations, over 100 foreign consulates and has the busiest international gateway to the U.S. - JFK Airport, which had over 21.5 MM international visitors in 2007 - over 4 MM more than LA.

Additionally, NYC is the densest major city in the U.S. No other city in the U.S. matches its level of street activity and its use of public transportation. In other words - every person living / visiting NYC is constantly surrounded, face to face, by people from all around the world.

That, by definition, makes a city cosmopolitan. I'm sorry, but to use your quote, NYC owns. There's your proof. This thread is done.
I already proved a while back that LA owns. You can try and skew information as much as you like in NYC's favor, but LA will still come out on top. I'm not going to go back and post all the facts in this thread (and others) about LA, because it's been said before. Either you get that NYC is the second most cosmopolitan city after LA, or you don't.

Yes, this thread is done for you. LA owns, and NYC is second. Sorry. Now move along.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
LA owns, and NYC is second.
Pardon me for interrupting yet again, but you have yet to specify what it is, precisely, that LA "owns". I see you make that statement consistently, but absent any supporting evidence, it's unclear what it is you are referring to.

I suspect that this is similar to your earlier assertion that there are lots of places around LA that look like NYC. Which, by the way, we are still waiting for follow-up on. Feel free to oblige, whenever you are ready.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
LOL! NOW you're finally understanding. LA speaks for itself. People will always love to hate on LA, and this thread shows that. Thanks for playing. Your jealousy has been as remarkable as it is entertaining.

No, I don't care because LA owns. You know, I know it, and everyone else here knows it. That's why you keep coming back here, trying to fight the inevitable. I'd suggest you come to terms with your obvious complex regarding LA.
Jealousy? of what? If I cared that much about LA I'd be living there too, but I much more content where I am at. You are so malcontent with anyone's disagreement that LA would be number one when you don't have any substance at all. This thread isn't even showing hatred towards LA. Others are giving you the oppurtunity to articulate why you think so and you have yet to do so. Meanwhile having a delusional stance that everyone should agree with you when the lions share of people all over the world damn well know NY is # 1, home of the United Nations headquarters. What this thread is about is you beeing an idiot. Even if somebody here were to agree with you, they would recognize your bizzare stance of force feeding it on everyone else, self defeating at it's best. Your obtuse delusional writing makes you look really sad. I know it, you know it, and everyone else knows it.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Jealousy? of what? If I cared that much about LA I'd be living there too, but I much more content where I am at. You are so malcontent with anyone's disagreement tha LA would be number one when you don't have any substance at all. This thread isn't even showing hatred towards LA. Others are giving you the oppurtunity to articulate why you think so and you have yet to do so, meanwhile having a delusional stance that everyone should agree with you when the lions share of people all over the world damn well know NY is # 1. What this thread is about is you beeing an idiot. Even if somebody here were to agree with you, they would recognize your bizzare stance of force feeding it on everyone else, self defeating at it's best. Your obtuse delusional writing makes you look really sad. I know it, you know it, and everyone else knows it.
When you are done foaming at the mouth, LA will still own you and the jealous hatred you muster towards it. You can spit and hiss at me all you want to, but LA will still be the most cosmopolitan city in the country and dominate both domestically and internationally. You need to come to terms with that and direct your anger at perhaps pumping up NYC so that it can compete once again with LA's greatness. Seriously.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
When you are done foaming at the mouth, LA will still own you and the jealous hatred you muster towards it. You can spit and hiss at me all you want to, but LA will still be the most cosmopolitan city in the country and dominate both domestically and internationally. You need to come to terms with that and direct your anger at perhaps pumping up NYC so that it can compete once again with LA's greatness. Seriously.
You don't get it! There has been nothing I've stated thus far to smack talk LA. LA is great, I've been there, I like it, wouldn't want to live there, I much prefer San Diego. You love LA and that's great, but you haven't pumped up LA with any evidence to articulate your point.

It's not LA, it's you! Your thread is stupid, you are immature, delusional, unarticulate, and pathological. You are so weak and can not provide a good rebuttle or provide any substance in your argument.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-30-2010 at 12:24 AM..

Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
When it comes to urbanism new york city stands alone If u think theres an urban center in the US close to manhattan than your wrong. Even the other four boroughs have better vibrancy than some cities. Downtown brooklyn might be able to give downtown la a run for its money. I heard downtown LA was a joke. lol How can la be so cosmopolitan when its public transit isnt up to par. If you look at other cosmopolitan city's they all have that. How can la be so cosmopolitan with know world reknown symbols. The hollywood sign is a joke compared to Big ben,Statue of liberty or the eiffel tower

The existance of the United Nations and all the international businesses in ny says it all. And why is la never ranked higher than ny in world rankings. Come on man stop it
The Hollywood Sign is pretty dang famous. I mean look at Hollywoods influence in other parts of the world such as India, with Bollywood, and Kollywood etc.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The Hollywood Sign is pretty dang famous. I mean look at Hollywoods influence in other parts of the world such as India, with Bollywood, and Kollywood etc.
It influenced to the creation of Bollywood in former Bombay (Mumbai), which infleunced the creation of Tollywood, Kollywood and Lollywood in Pakistan.

The sign itself though, it's not at the same level as the structures the person above listed though. But it's influential nonetheless.

Hollywood is a legacy in it's own right. Just like skyscrapers for Chicago. Chicago is a legacy as well. Haha.

Last edited by DANNYY; 04-30-2010 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City