Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After LA, the most cosmopolitan city is:
New York City 48 70.59%
Chicago 8 11.76%
D.C. 7 10.29%
Houston 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,232 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in both LA and NY, and NY is MUCH more cosmopolitan. Its not even close. Another homer rigging a poll. Rediculous.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:10 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
Many areas of LA look like NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou
Then you should have no troubles providing visual evidence to support your claim.
Still waiting on this one...

Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Regarding diversity....if you look at it like White/Black/Hispanic/Asian, then certainly LA is on par with NY.

However - if you break those racial categories down further - NYC destroys LA.

Take the Black population for instance. In LA it is primarily African American. In NYC the Black population is highly represented by West Indians (mainly Jamaicans, Hatians, Trinidadians and Guyanese), and sub-Saharan Africans - all first or second generation immigrants. I'd say the latter two categories account for approximately 35-40% of the black population in NYC,

Let's look at the Asian population. LA's is very diverse, no doubt, but again, is overwhelmingly represented by East Asian varieties. While NYC also has large amounts of East Asians (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese), it also has a very large South Asian population. NYC proper (not the metro) has over 300,000 South Asians (roughly 200,000 Indians and 50K Pakistanis and Bangladeshis each). LA does not have one tenth of those numbers.

As for Hispanic population, of course LA is renowned for being a centre of Mexican immigration. The Mexican population in NYC is relatively smaller, however, the Hispanic population is comprised of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Colombians and Ecuadorians in large large quantities.

Finally - the White population, Over 500,000 New Yorkers who consider themselves "White" were born in Europe. That's almost 1/5th of the entire NYC white population. Foreign born. If you think about that statistic, it's incredible.

So all in all, while LA may appear to be as diverse as NYC, when you break down the racial and ethnic categories it becomes clearly apparent that NYC is far more international and diverse. The only cities which can compare are Toronto and London.

Case closed.
Oh, you and your pesky facts. Get outta here.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 AM

293 posts, read 900,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
...besides LA?

Which city comes after LA in terms of its international, cosmopolitan ambiance?
NYC is way more cosmopolitan than LA. That's fact, not opinion. NYC is the definition of cosmopolitan. You think a large Hispanic population makes a city cosmopolitan? Because it doesn't, NYC is far ahead of LA.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Who cares what New Yorkers say? Why don't you show the maturity that Angelenos have over New Yorkers and admit there are cities better than LA. I mean in a world with a population nearing 7 Billion, I'm sure there's some city that out does LA. Right? And if you still deny that, then you're on some really wicked drugs and have altered every thought in your brain.
LA better than NYC? that's a good one lol.. because NYC is the best city in the world.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
LA better than NYC? that's a good one lol.. because NYC is the best city in the world.
When did I say LA is better than NYC? Please tell me when and where I said that.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM

293 posts, read 900,342 times
Quote:
Regarding diversity....if you look at it like White/Black/Hispanic/Asian, then certainly LA is on par with NY.

Take the Black population for instance. In LA it is primarily African American. In NYC the Black population is highly represented by West Indians (mainly Jamaicans, Hatians, Trinidadians and Guyanese), and sub-Saharan Africans - all first or second generation immigrants. I'd say the latter two categories account for approximately 35-40% of the black population in NYC,

Let's look at the Asian population. LA's is very diverse, no doubt, but again, is overwhelmingly represented by East Asian varieties. While NYC also has large amounts of East Asians (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese), it also has a very large South Asian population. NYC proper (not the metro) has over 300,000 South Asians (roughly 200,000 Indians and 50K Pakistanis and Bangladeshis each). LA does not have one tenth of those numbers.

As for Hispanic population, of course LA is renowned for being a centre of Mexican immigration. The Mexican population in NYC is relatively smaller, however, the Hispanic population is comprised of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Colombians and Ecuadorians in large large quantities.

Finally - the White population, Over 500,000 New Yorkers who consider themselves "White" were born in Europe. That's almost 1/5th of the entire NYC white population. Foreign born. If you think about that statistic, it's incredible.

So all in all, while LA may appear to be as diverse as NYC, when you break down the racial and ethnic categories it becomes clearly apparent that NYC is far more international and diverse. The only cities which can compare are Toronto and London.

Case closed.
This is true, on the surface, LA might appear nearly as racially diverse, but get right down to it, there is no comparison. This is a deal of facts, and NYC is far more diverse than LA.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM

515 posts, read 986,533 times
I'm from California and now live in NYC. No doubt, NYC is far more diverse and cosmopolitan. The post below sums up my thoughts exactly:

Quote:

Case closed.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
This is true, on the surface, LA might appear nearly as racially diverse, but get right down to it, there is no comparison. This is a deal of facts, and NYC is far more diverse than LA.
It's one of the only two cities that can compete in diversity, the other being London. And even then, I think NYC is more diverse than London.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Haha, man, if you read my posts above, I've already been saying NYC is more diverse. The person you'd want to tell all this to is theoneandonlyLA. He's your guy. I already know these things man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City