Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland Maine? or Portland, Oregon?
Portland, Maine 147 51.76%
Portland, Oregon 137 48.24%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
Portland Maine constantly has Beard List contestants and restaurants like Forestreet are annually voted best in the country
Lol. James Beard is from Portland, Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 16,066 times
Can some of these people please use logic and reasoning and include why they pick some of there answers. The majority of people seem to only point out Portland Oregon is bigger and then in turn there pick is Portland, Oregon. What does the bigger city bring? So far the only thing mentioned are drugs, homelessness and crime, more trash and pollution. One person mentioned that there is simply so much more to do in Portland Oregon. What can't you do in Portland Maine then that you can't in Oregon?

I have been to neither but plan to move soon and these answers are something I am interested in. Am I the only one who wants logic and reasoning for answers? I just don't accept someone saying something and go OK. I assuming the OP also wanted reasons other than people with usernames just saying which one they like for no reason. Do Americans truly go by BIGGER IS BETTER just like how we are joked to think all around the world?

And the person who said Portland Maine is a city done right. Tell me more. And to the person who responded chastising that person with a response about size again. IF you do each aspect of a city right once, you don't need dozens of the same thing as a bigger city would have. I have been to cities of 20 thousand before that have had nearly everything a huge city in the same state has. (This is in Ohio).

So I would like more answer essentially People join who care to give considered thoughtful answers and not on size. I love big cities and country. I just want to hear real reasons. I don't believe in the theory Bigger =better=more. Some of the smallest things in our universe carry the biggest punch and complexity.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:13 PM

24 posts, read 74,020 times
At a certain point the size of a city is meaningless, unless you're single and on the market for dating, or you're moving to a city without securing a job first.

Portland Maine has most of the amenities of much larger cities, yet without the traffic, rudeness and crime. That's a huge plus in my book. If you really need to see the Blue Man Group in Boston or catch a TED talk in Cambridge, it's also just a 2 hour drive by car, and a three hour train ride. Very doable. In Portland Maine, you can also live in a very posh suburb overlooking the ocean a few minutes away from downtown with some of the best school districts in the country for the price of an average suburb in Boston or Portland OR. That's quality of life.

There's almost like a penis measuring contest when people talk about their city's size. It's ridiculous. Most people never go to more than a few neighborhoods of their city. Most parts of any city or metro area are huge wastelands of chain strip malls, run down homes and warehouse lots (see Chicago or Boston). The few nice parts of any city are not very big and don't have a lot of people living in them. The vast majority of people living in these great cities live in very ho-hum areas, and commute for 1-2 hours a day.

Last edited by BUer; 09-27-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twatson31450 View Post
Can some of these people please use logic and reasoning and include why they pick some of there answers. The majority of people seem to only point out Portland Oregon is bigger and then in turn there pick is Portland, Oregon. What does the bigger city bring? So far the only thing mentioned are drugs, homelessness and crime, more trash and pollution. One person mentioned that there is simply so much more to do in Portland Oregon. What can't you do in Portland Maine then that you can't in Oregon?

I have been to neither but plan to move soon and these answers are something I am interested in. Am I the only one who wants logic and reasoning for answers? I just don't accept someone saying something and go OK. I assuming the OP also wanted reasons other than people with usernames just saying which one they like for no reason. Do Americans truly go by BIGGER IS BETTER just like how we are joked to think all around the world?

And the person who said Portland Maine is a city done right. Tell me more. And to the person who responded chastising that person with a response about size again. IF you do each aspect of a city right once, you don't need dozens of the same thing as a bigger city would have. I have been to cities of 20 thousand before that have had nearly everything a huge city in the same state has. (This is in Ohio).

So I would like more answer essentially People join who care to give considered thoughtful answers and not on size. I love big cities and country. I just want to hear real reasons. I don't believe in the theory Bigger =better=more. Some of the smallest things in our universe carry the biggest punch and complexity.
Size is a big factor- being a MUCH bigger metro area means many more amenities- more shopping and entertainment options. Portland, Oregon has in my opinion better scenery- it is located right next to the Cascade Mountains including some towering volcanic peaks such as Mount Hood (which looms over the city on clear days, a jaw-dropping sight) and Mount Saint Helens and Mount Adams. It has the Columbia River Gorge right outside the urban area which has countless amazingly scenic areas for hiking and general sight seeing. It has more mild winter weather- rarely gets snow, doesn't often even get below freezing at night.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Size is a big factor- being a MUCH bigger metro area means many more amenities- more shopping and entertainment options. Portland, Oregon has in my opinion better scenery- it is located right next to the Cascade Mountains including some towering volcanic peaks such as Mount Hood (which looms over the city on clear days, a jaw-dropping sight) and Mount Saint Helens and Mount Adams. It has the Columbia River Gorge right outside the urban area which has countless amazingly scenic areas for hiking and general sight seeing. It has more mild winter weather- rarely gets snow, doesn't often even get below freezing at night.
Nothing in Portland Oregon can compare to this..

Portland Maine Ocean Lighthouse by Captain Kimo, on Flickr

or

Portland Downtown by 3dphoto.net, on Flickr

Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUer View Post
There's almost like a penis measuring contest when people talk about their city's size.
LOL! I suspect there is a significant number of posters in these polls who look at a city's population and conclude "Yep, it's bigger so it's better." Analogous to your comment, I consider them to be CD's equivalent to size queens.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:27 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
It has more mild winter weather- rarely gets snow, doesn't often even get below freezing at night.
Yeah but the catch is that that winter lasts about 8 months most years.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,502 times
This post is old now. Maybe nobody still cares , but here I am late as always. I grew up in the pacific northwest in all three states. I've been to Portland Oregon many times. I have also been to New England and Portland Maine. Portland Oregon is maybe the worst part about the state of Oregon . It's packed tightly with people and not just in the actual city ,but also the entire metro area. The freeway in the city is nonsense and you'll be lucky not to see traffic. These people have been in this city for years and still when it rains people forget how to drive. The city itself is not very attractive. The surrounding area is beautiful though. I don't think many places compete with Oregon as far as nature goes. It has snow capped mountains , one of the most famous coastlines in the world, greenery everywhere. People in the pacific northwest are mostly polite. When I used to complain about the rain my grandma would say " we couldn't have all this green without the rain". I moved to Idaho last of the three states and it snows often and for 6 months of the year. I actually found myself missing the rain so weather is probably a comfort thing.

As far as Portland Maine goes. It has a charm you wont find anywhere else. That's all of new England actually. The coastal areas are very pretty , but if the weather is nice don't expect privacy like you get on the Oregon coast. Maine is also very green ,but in a much different way. Oregon is usually wet and Maine gets a lot of its water from snow. More pines than cedars . The people are give or take. It seemed to me like most just wanted to be left alone. Their world revolves around seafaring and they seem like they're from a different time which isn't a bad thing just a cultural thing. If you like lighthouses this is your place.

Overall the voting seems to be 50/50. Personal preference or bias probably. I think if you like a bigger city Portland Oregon is your choice. If you like a smaller area Portland Maine. Both have beautiful scenery. Of all the places I've been Oregon and Maine are the prettiest. Oregon has mild winters and no I don't consider more rain a worse winter. You can be outside in Oregon in December. In fact I got married on the Oregon coast in the winter. In Maine most people stay indoors as much as possible for 6-7 months of the year because its 20 degrees or less and snowing. School ratings and crime rates are some of the best in New England . Oregon has one of the highest costs of living in the United States which is saying a lot because New England isn't cheap. If you're thinking of moving to one or the other I wouldn't go to either without a job because both have higher unemployment rates. I am moving soon after researching every state in the united states from crime rates to schools and jobs , weather , cost of living. It came down to Oregon or Maine. I chose Oregon , but only because of the mild weather. I'm moving there in a camper until I can find a house . In Maine I'd be rushed to get into a house before winter hits. In Oregon people live in campers year round. Both places are great and have pros and cons like any place you look at. It just depends on preference.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Nothing in Portland Oregon can compare to this..

Portland Maine Ocean Lighthouse by Captain Kimo, on Flickr

or

Portland Downtown by 3dphoto.net, on Flickr
I don’t think you’ve been to Portland Oregon than and I say that as someone from New England. The PNW is on a different level. Portland is also live 15 minutes from the gorge which absolutely stunning. I do love the older buildings and streets in Portland, Maine but the natural scenery in Oregon is in a different league

Old 02-23-2019, 07:19 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Classic East Coast vs. West Coast. Truth is both have a lot to offer scenically and in terms of urban vibe in their own unique way. Personally don't see either as "lacking" as compared to the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City