Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland Maine? or Portland, Oregon?
Portland, Maine 147 51.76%
Portland, Oregon 137 48.24%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

They share the same name, they are both very nice cities, they never really compete or share much else. Which one is more on your radar? Which Portland do you like better?

Portland, Maine?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/THSMTHS/1Maine033.jpg (broken link)

Portland, Oregon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Funny thing, a little interesting bit of history about the two Portlands.

When they founded Portland, OR they flipped a coin to decide the name of the city, one of the travelers was from Boston, the other from Portland, Maine. The coin landed on the side that favored Portland, Maine. So the new found city was named Portland, OR.

If I had to pick, I would pick Portland, OR. I'm more of a big city kind of guy.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Funny thing, a little interesting bit of history about the two Portlands.

When they founded Portland, OR they flipped a coin to decide the name of the city, one of the travelers was from Boston, the other from Portland, Maine. The coin landed on the side that favored Portland, Maine. So the new found city was named Portland, OR.
That's good, there only needs to be one Boston, lol.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Portland Oregon is head & shoulders above Portland Maine: no comparison.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Portland Oregon is head & shoulders above Portland Maine: no comparison.
Please elaborate, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but population figures aside what makes Portland OR better?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Both would be too Left-leaning for me, but I don't like big cities so I guess Portland, Maine.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Both would be too Left-leaning for me, but I don't like big cities so I guess Portland, Maine.
Not your cup of tea I see, but that brings up a point. They both have some parallel simalarities. There is the hippy-grunge, music, both are artsy fartsy, and both are health contious cities that have a lot of organic food and local farmers markets. And yes, they are both very liberal!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 PM

404 posts, read 595,908 times
Oregon is just great for lulz...so Portland, OR.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I voted for the original Portland, the one in Maine. I voted for it not only because I am a native New Englander although I do live in Oregon. I voted for it because it is what it is. It doesn't mislead and put on and on about its accomplishments. It doesn't have a pretentious side to it, nor do its streets and neighborhoods crawl with the mentally ill and homeless and beggers as in Oregon. Although if Portland,Maine and Porltand, Oregon were the exact same size they would be very different. Reason being New England. Portland Maine is an old New England Seaport smaller city. Its pop may now reach 70,000 and many of its residents are from elsewhere. That does give it a different feel than many New England communites, but no wheres on par with Portland ORegon. THere may be some New Age and Vegan types in Maine and people that believe in being fit. People whose politics are a big part of their life. Although the politics of Portland, Me are more along lines with the rest of New England (liberal). Portland Oregons are definitely more Radical Politics. They would not fly in Porland, Me or New England. Portland, Me is not as isolated and is part of the 6 New England states. Other cities are close by the largest Boston is just under two hours away. All in all I see little in comparison between these two cities and even less between the two states they are in. The People, the cultures thier value system could not be more different.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Portland, Oregon easily wins for me for Portland Oregon vs. Portland Maine.

If this was Seattle, Washington vs. Portland, Oregon, Seattle would easily win as easily as Portland, Oregon over Portland, Maine.

Those are nice pictures of Portland, Oregon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City