Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times

Advertisements

Dallas hands down.

ATL vs. Dallas? Are you joking?

I grew up near ATL, and have lived in little 'ol Charlotte for several years. I like this area. But if given the choice of the two listed I would vomit in my mouth a little and then choose Dallas. The diversity, the infrastructure, economy. This is my opinion, of course, so hopefully nobody gets their little panties wadded (or they can, doesn't matter). ATL is great, but it's not that great. I am actually working in Grapevine this week for a couple days (will be back in NC tomorrow) and while driving through the vast network of freeways, through extensive, clean, modern suburbs and corporate centers, I couldn't imagine choosing Atlanta over the Dallas area. The wide open spaces and a large sister city helps with my preference also.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Yeah, that Grapevine area of DFW is really nice, save for the "Grapevine Funnel" construction going on. A lot of freeway construction going on between Houston and Dallas. Atlanta is great, but aside from their heavy rail system (which has higher capacity than light rail), its infrastructure isn't really comparable to Houston and Dallas'. From the street/arterial road system to the freeway system. I understand many Atlantans have said they don't want to plow over their landscape, but that's created more gridlock.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
I have no experience in Atlanta and didn't vote for either it or Dallas on the poll, I was among the 8 who voted Miami which was meant to be a joke option but apparently some took it seriously.

Anyways I have been to Dallas, it's a great city, very polished, and it's large, it's the landlocked version of Houston except has hills.

I hope to visit Atlanta some day in the near future to see the city itself, from what I have seen in the pictures and from street maps, it has an Eastern design. It's layout is completely different and with it's city structure if it continues to grow and add on to it's density it can seem like Philadelphia by layout.

Dallas has a West coast layout with it's street system, no matter how much it grows it will be seemingly spread out, rather like Los Angeles or San Diego for that matter. (same goes for Houston)

The layouts for the cities are a bit different on how they can/will develop.

What I like most about Dallas though is the fact that Fort Worth is right next door, and that adds another large city that brings in it's own culture (Fort Worth is the true Texan city by culture) and it adds more dynamics to the Metroplex vibe altogether.

For demographics, looking at both on American Fact Finder, they seem so similar to each other.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Scarface, you made an excellent point that I should have made clearer in my post. Although Dallas is bigger than Atlanta, getting around town even at peak traffic times is a breeze compared to Atlanta. The road system in ATL is a total disaster, especially for a metro of 5+ million.

The drive I made Friday morning was from Central Dallas to Grapevine via the 183 at 0700. It took me less than 25 minutes through construction zones. In my years of driving in/thru ATL I have never had so much luck.

My company has a regional location in Dallas and I have spent some decent time there the last few years. There are so many things, including the culture of the people overall that gives Dallas such an advantage over Atlanta. I'm looking forward to possibly relocating to Dallas in a couple years.

Last edited by PeytonC; 08-06-2010 at 10:34 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 PM

123 posts, read 157,494 times
I choose Atlanta.. It's just more of an exciting place to me..

Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,295,537 times
PeytonC I'm glad you have posted on here because I made the move from Atlanta to Dallas this year and it seems like you and I have very similar preferences and views about the two cities being discussed. In other threads I have mentioned what you have and each time I have been belittled, called awful names, accused of lying etc from the Atlanta posters. I'm not sure if it's tough for them to realize that yes they are the capital of the south but Texas doesn't consider itself apart of that region and Dallas and Houston do not fall behind Atlanta but rather the other way around.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:40 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,295,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezMugler View Post
I choose Atlanta.. It's just more of an exciting place to me..
Not being argumentative just curious here. What do you think makes Atlanta more exciting than Dallas for you? There is always an undertone in the Atlanta vs Dallas or Houston threads that Atlanta is a lot cooler, more vibrant more hip and fun of a city than the Texas cities. Upon moving here from Atlanta I honestly don't see how Atlanta is more exciting than here. I don't think Dallas is more exciting than Atlanta either they seem to be on the same level of excitement except for a few differences.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM

123 posts, read 157,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Not being argumentative just curious here. What do you think makes Atlanta more exciting than Dallas for you? There is always an undertone in the Atlanta vs Dallas or Houston threads that Atlanta is a lot cooler, more vibrant more hip and fun of a city than the Texas cities. Upon moving here from Atlanta I honestly don't see how Atlanta is more exciting than here. I don't think Dallas is more exciting than Atlanta either they seem to be on the same level of excitement except for a few differences.

Well Thats Your opinion and I dont feel Like listing my reason why Because really it would be pointless. I grew up in Texas and maybe its exciting to you because you are new there. Atlanta Just has this certain edge and feel to me that I like especially in the Nightlife and Entertainment industry. Everyone has there own Opinions and views on what city they believe is better. I just personally believe Atlanta is Alot more exciting. Dallas Isnt one of those type of Destination cities for me. If I was Moving for a job then I would go to Dallas,but since I am not,there would be no reason for me to be there or Visit.. When people mention Dallas the never put the words Hip cool edgy exciting next too it.. They always Tie dallas with being a sports city Economic and SHopping,Nightlife and Vibrancy is not what Dallas is known for. Plus I like the way east coast cities are layed out. Atlanta isnt for everyone and Dallas isnt for Everyone plain and simple. I hope that answered your question. Texas Is Dull to me thats why I am here In Toronto now. PLaces I like In USA are NYC LA ATL MIAMI DC they are the most exciting cities to me and thats my opinion..

Last edited by SanchezMugler; 08-07-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,737 times
Atlanta:

- Food:Great soul food
- Schools:Usually bad,but varies by area
- Infrastructure:not sure
- Downtown office space:Pretty good
- Parks (Major category):Average
- Cost of Living:Very low
- Quality of Life:Pretty good
- Good neighborhoods:A lot of them
- Influence of Suburban cities:Not sure
- Influence of other major cities in the state:Only a few major cities, I would say little influence.
- Any political influence? (Atlanta has plenty, being the state capital)-A lot
- Major rivers/lakes-None
- Activities for outdoors-Average
- Shopping-Average
- Good hotels-Average
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are)-Busy airport
- Future city renovation projects-Has quite a few

- Food-Average to low
- Schools-Pretty good depending on the area
- Infrastructure-Not sure
- Downtown office space-Quite a lot
- Parks (Major category) -Average
- Cost of Living-Very low
- Quality of Life-Pretty good
- Good neighborhoods-A lot of good areas
- Influence of Suburban cities-Not sure
- Influence of other major cities in the state-Some influence
- Any political influence?-A little, but not much
- Major rivers/lakes-None that I know of
- Activities for outdoors-Average/below average
- Shopping-Average
- Good hotels-Average
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are)-Very busy
- Future city renovation projects-Not sure

Old 08-07-2010, 02:37 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Dallas hands down.

ATL vs. Dallas? Are you joking?

I grew up near ATL, and have lived in little 'ol Charlotte for several years. I like this area. But if given the choice of the two listed I would vomit in my mouth a little and then choose Dallas. The diversity, the infrastructure, economy. This is my opinion, of course, so hopefully nobody gets their little panties wadded (or they can, doesn't matter). ATL is great, but it's not that great. I am actually working in Grapevine this week for a couple days (will be back in NC tomorrow) and while driving through the vast network of freeways, through extensive, clean, modern suburbs and corporate centers, I couldn't imagine choosing Atlanta over the Dallas area. The wide open spaces and a large sister city helps with my preference also.
This is funny because I’m in Euless right now visiting my family and last night we went to the Grapevine Mills, to there movies. I have a cousin that used to live out there in Grapevine LOL

This not a attack on you I'm just stating my opinion back, it’s all opinion. Most Atlanta posters don't state there opinion back they either question someone opinion or either correct them if they said something off. But I’m going to try something different, I going to state my opinion back and see how this turns out. I'm quoting parts of your posts.

I grew up back and forth between ATL and Dallas in fact it’s where the ATL and DAL come from in my User name the Chi is Chicago where I was born but most my life I live in the south. When I was young my mother and me moved from Atlanta to Charlotte it’s cool a great place but unfortunately my mother pass with in a year, so I just didn’t put charlotte in my user name it's a bad association. But I have a aunt that was close to mother that moved from Chicago to DFW so that how the back and forth started. No one opinion is gold but minds is just as good any.

This is my opinion, of course, so hopefully nobody gets their little panties wadded (or they can, doesn't matter). Dallas is great but it's not that great it OK though i would pick it over most places, but over Atlanta heck no. Other then Fort Worth stock yard nothing in DFW come close to Stone mountain village, Marietta Historic Downtown, Historic Roswell and etc in large historic centers. I also would take Atlanta vernacular architecture over Dallas, DFW suburban subdivisions are generally light or dark brick homes with often tall fences like king of the hill. Dallas. Dallas Dallas . Generally Atlanta suburban subdivision are color decorative wood or vinyl and some may yse brick Atlanta Atlanta Atlanta, also There’s no master plan new urbanism residential development in DFW comparable to the size of Glenwood park, Inman park village and etc in Atlanta I’m not taking about just develop loft buildings.

Clean, modern suburbs and corporate centers? Wouldn't that be everywhere? but you have stated you like open space maybe this what you made subjectively "clean" as if alpharetta and etc was dirty ) anyways las colinas las colinas vs cumberland cumberland. DFW feel more artificial then Atlanta. Atlanta is way more outdoorsy than Dallas, the environment makes people want to get out and interact too in my experience there’s way more pedestrian activity in Metro Atlanta than in Dallas. But this bring something else up you can go rafting and hiking with in the Metro, Atlanta is no Seattle but it’s way ahead DFW and underrated in this department. Dallas nearly neglects it’s Southside Atlanta has done this past too, but leaders have plans like Parkway south "site Parkway South video Parkway South" and Atlanta aerotropolis "site Jacoby Group PDF rendering aerotropolis.pdf". No one is going argue that DFW trumps Atlanta in economics but Atlanta trump Dallas in culture and I’m not taking about museums I’m taking about identity wise. Remember this all opinion, to me Fort Worth has more of a idenity than any place in DFW it's just Dallas is bigger and known way more known than Fort Worth.

Some public art along the future beltline

YouTube - ‪Atlanta Beltline‬‎

YouTube - ‪Little 5 Points 09 Halloween Parade‬‎

YouTube - ‪sweet auburn festival 2010 video.wmv‬‎

I’m sorry that the opportunity for you to live in Dallas haven’t occur since you would vomit in your mouth a little and then choose Dallas. Personally I had a choice, ) And I moved back to Atlanta from DFW. I hope this doesn't make you feel sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City