Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:26 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times

Advertisements

Dallas and Atlanta; two cities growing at a faster rate than Avatar's popularity. I tried searching for similar threads but they had 2-3 posts, or they were shut down for being about skylines.

The criteria is basic; Atlantagreg has advised us not to have any skyline threads, which is fine, besides the skyline there really are more to a city.

- Food (Major category)
- Schools
- Infrastructure
- Downtown office space
- Parks (Major category)
- Cost of Living
- Quality of Life
- Good neighborhoods
- Influence of Suburban cities
- Influence of other major cities in the state
- Any political influence? (Atlanta has plenty, being the state capital)
- Major rivers/lakes
- Activities for outdoors
- Shopping
- Good hotels
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are)
- Future city renovation projects

^ You can use any of these things to base your answer, please give a good explanation. It could be about anything, which city is taking into account of all the above criteria is better overall?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Big D

Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,911,320 times
Atlanta, Georgia vs. Dallas, Texas
- Food (Major category): Atlanta, by a decent margin.
- Schools: Dallas, by a decent margin
- Infrastructure: Atlanta, by a small margin, but maybe not for long because Dallas is the fastest growing metro in America.
- Downtown office space Atlanta, by a decent margin but maybe not for long because of how fast Dallas is growing.
- Parks (Major category) : Atlanta, by a small margin.
- Cost of Living: Dallas, by a small margin.
- Quality of Life: Dallas, by a decent margin
- Good neighborhoods: Dallas, by a small margin.
- Influence of Suburban cities: I would say they are tied in this. The surburbs for each respective city are vastly different from the city itself politically(much more Republican voting), as well as other things. Yet, at the same time, both of these cities manage to be very different from the suburbs they have, despite the looming suburban influence.
- Influence of other major cities in the state: Atlanta, by a decent margin. Dallas seems overshadowed by Houston and Austin. Georgia has only Atlanta for a major city, and with only Charlotte as a major competitor for that region.
- Any political influence? (Atlanta has plenty, being the state capital): Atlanta, by a small margin.
- Major rivers/lakes Atlanta and Dallas tied?
- Activities for outdoors Atlanta and Dallas tied?
- Shopping Atlanta, by a small margin.
- Good hotels Tied?
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are) Atlanta, by a big margin.
- Future city renovation projects Both are tied. Both of these cities are very high up there in future city renovation projects out of all American cities.

Atlanta wins in 8 categories while Dallas wins in 4. They are tied in 5 categories. When its Atlanta and Dallas vs. Seattle, Seattle wins in pretty much every category.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
- Schools: Dallas, by a decent margin
- Infrastructure: Atlanta, by a small margin, but maybe not for long because Dallas is the fastest growing metro in America.
- Downtown office space Atlanta, by a decent margin but maybe not for long because of how fast Dallas is growing.
- Parks (Major category) : Atlanta, by a small margin.
- Cost of Living: Dallas, by a small margin.
- Quality of Life: Dallas, by a decent margin
- Good neighborhoods: Dallas, by a small margin.
- Influence of Suburban cities: I would say they are tied in this. The surburbs for each respective city are vastly different from the city itself politically(much more Republican voting), as well as other things. Yet, at the same time, both of these cities manage to be very different from the suburbs they have, despite the looming suburban influence.
- Influence of other major cities in the state: Atlanta, by a decent margin. Dallas seems overshadowed by Houston and Austin. Georgia has only Atlanta for a major city, and with only Charlotte as a major competitor for that region.
- Any political influence? (Atlanta has plenty, being the state capital): Atlanta, by a small margin.
- Major rivers/lakes Atlanta and Dallas tied?
- Activities for outdoors Atlanta and Dallas tied?
- Shopping Atlanta, by a small margin.
- Good hotels Tied?
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are) Atlanta, by a big margin.
- Future city renovation projects Both are tied. Both of these cities are very high up there in future city renovation projects out of all American cities.
I think Atlanta would win in schools, Emory and Georgia Tech are better options than SMU, UT- Dallas, UT- Arlington, Dallas Baptist University

I still can't pick which of the two cities I would prefer myself, it seems like a neck to neck race between the two, as they are more or less similar than different.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 AM

594 posts, read 3,436,048 times
Im from georgia but I think dallas is a little bigger than atlanta.However hopefully atlanta will start to catch up with dallas soon.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
That is extremely subjective. I think the food in Dallas is alot better because I like Southwestern and Latin American food better than Southern food. But it doesnt matter because everyone likes different things.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,074 times
I guess the OP missed the 300-Page epic clusterf**** that the Dallas Vs. Atlanta thread became.

Before Uncle Greg comes in to close the gate, I'll put in my .02 as I always do

- Food (Major category) : Too subjective. There are things that Dallas excels in, there are things that Atlanta excels in in this category. The explosive growth of both Metro areas and the changing tastes of the American public have really helped the gastronomic scene in both though. This isn't 1990 anymore, that's for sure! I will say that I like the Latin food in Dallas better and what passes for "Southern Food/Country Cooking" to be mediocre to OK in both. I used to live in Mississippi, so my standards are high on that. I do love Big Daddy's off of Old National or Paschal's here in Atlanta though.

- Schools: K-12 - Dallas/Ft. Worth. Colleges & Universities - Atlanta

- Infrastructure Dallas has a better freeway network. Atlanta has a heavy-rail system that's usually cuckolded by the rural and suburban politicians who get brownie-points by "sticking it to Atlanta". The Dallas area seems to really embrace their light-rail system (which is pretty impressive)

- Downtown office space: DT Dallas has a stubbornly high vacancy rate, and has since the S&L fallout in the 1980s, so I guess Dallas "wins" in this category.

- Parks (Major category): Atlanta. We have two awesome major parks (Piedmont and Grant), and we also have Stone Mountain Park and Kennesaw Mountain Park in the metro area. I wish we did have something similar to White Rock Lake Park though.

- Cost of Living - Dallas' housing prices in general are lower, and benefits from Texas not having a state income tax or a birthday bill/ad valorem tax for your car. Property tax in Texas is higher. I don't know about auto insurance, but my insurance is lower here than it was in many other states. Salaries and how far they go in either? Depends on who you ask.

- Quality of Life:
WAY too subjective. What's important to one person may not be as important to another.

- Good neighborhoods:
WAY too subjective. ATL has Buckhead, DFW has the Park Cities, ATL has Little 5 points, DFW has Bishop Arts, etc. I think that there are more bohemian/"arty" type of communities in Atlanta though.

- Influence of Suburban cities:
Atlanta is often stereotyped as a crime-ridden welfare state by the surrounding suburbs (the further outside 285, the more obvious this attitude). Racial politics plays a role in this, as well as common elitism on both sides. Dallas seems to be hemmed up by its suburbs, particularly the northern ones in terms of competing for corporations, people moving to the city, etc. The multi-polar nature of the DFW area is a lot more apparent that than the multi-polar nature of Atlanta. However, the DFW area seems to work together as a whole moreso than Metro Atlanta, where there seems to be an underlying current of "Us vs. Them" on all sides.

- Influence of other major cities in the state:
What other major cities in Georgia? I'm kidding. But I will say that the Dallas-Houston rivalry makes them do things that they wouldn't otherwise do because neither one wants to be outdone by the other. But Atlanta sort of "wins" by default for being the only MAJOR (Over 1 Million) city in the state.

- Any political influence? (Atlanta has plenty, being the state capital):
See my comments about how a lot of the rural and suburban politicians in Georgia practically make careers out of sending big "Screw-Yous!" to Atlanta. Georgians didn't invent the concept of "cutting off the nose to spite the face," but we sure as hell seem to make it an art form.

- Major rivers/lakes:
Dallas has more artificial lakes than Atlanta does. People go rafting on the Chattahoochee river a lot. I don't see the same being done on the Trinity.

Atlanta, hands down. Closer to the mountains, national parks, Atlantic and Gulf beaches are not that far away, etc. more benign climate (to me). Dallas does have great walking trails and there are boating activities because of the multitudes of lakes around the metro area.

- Shopping:
Tie

- Good hotels
Tie

- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are):
Southwest > Delta > American to me. But both offer convenient services due to the large presence of major hubs. I like ATL better as a hub airport, much more efficient layout for that type of setup. The renovation projects really updated a lot of the terminals and are very nice. DFW is better to me as an O&D airport in terms of layout, but the Skylink train really helps getting around that behemoth airport a lot better than the old Airtrans system. OTOH, Terminals A and C could stand to be remodeled heavily. I felt like I was stuck in an 80s time warp whenever I'm in those terminals. Terminal's D and E are nice though.

- Future city renovation projects:
Tie

Last edited by grindin; 04-27-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM

No, I'm comparing the cities with my own certain criteria, so it should be good to last. The thread I mean. I did the same for my Fort Worth Vs. Charlotte thread. But then again, I don't think a thread like that ever existed in the past anyways.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Dallas and Atlanta; two cities growing at a faster rate than Avatar's popularity. I tried searching for similar threads but they had 2-3 posts, or they were shut down for being about skylines.

The criteria is basic; Atlantagreg has advised us not to have any skyline threads, which is fine, besides the skyline there really are more to a city.

- Food (Major category)
- Schools
- Infrastructure
- Downtown office space
- Parks (Major category)
- Cost of Living
- Quality of Life
- Good neighborhoods
- Influence of Suburban cities
- Influence of other major cities in the state
- Any political influence? (Atlanta has plenty, being the state capital)
- Major rivers/lakes
- Shopping
- Good hotels
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are)
- Future city renovation projects

^ You can use any of these things to base your answer, please give a good explanation. It could be about anything, which city is taking into account of all the above criteria is better overall?

This has been done A thousand times I went as for as 266 pages There isnt really more you can discuss from these two cities

This is whats going to br brought up in these Thread

Gay community

DIversity

SHopping

African american Population

Economy

Public transportation

Nightlife music scene

These things have been discussed a million and 1 times what else can we learn????

SOon there will be tedious arguments on this thread watch my word

Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
This has been done A thousand times I went as for as 266 pages There isnt really more you can discuss from these two cities.

These things have been discussed a million and 1 times what else can we learn????
That this will be an argument that will be fought on C-D until the end of time?

Quote:
Soon there will be tedious arguments on this thread watch my word
I'm not a betting man, but I bet that you are right.

*sits back and twiddles my thumbs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.