Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fort Worth or Charlotte?
Fort Worth 90 56.60%
Charlotte 69 43.40%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:28 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Let's be honest...Fort Worth would be an after thought if it weren't for Dallas being some 30 or so miles away. While they both rely on each other to create a powerful Texan metro, it heavily skews in Dallas's favor, not Fort Worth.
FW is an afterthought to a lot of people NOW WITH Dallas 30 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 03:59 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I very much see your point, but certain things you mentioned have nothing to do with the region and have more to do with Dallas in particular. For instance, light rail is an amenity that belongs to Dallas proper; it's not a regional amenity. Now if you mentioned TRE instead, that could have been valid.

While it's really hard to separate the two in reality, it's important to note that the Fort Worth-Arlington metropolitan division within the larger DFW MSA has a population around 2.2 million, which isn't too dissimilar from Charlotte's MSA population. The Metroplex is getting large enough to support two teams within the same league, so I wouldn't be surprised to see new franchises locating within Fort Worth proper--if the city wants them.
Mutiny you keep proving my point... People are voting for Fort Worth based off of the amenities that DALLAS has... If there were no Fort Worth, Dallas would still have those METROPLEX amenities.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Lol @ you reaching. The statistics are there (if you can grab an adult around you to decipher what they mean), clearly shows that AA have a much higher unemployment rate. You find one city that has success, while the rest of Mississippi is a joke

Mississippi's Racial Gap in Unemployment is 2nd Highest in Nation | MEPC Online

Couldn't care less if you take me seriously. You claimed I'm racist because I said the people who want to work are getting jobs. Not my fault what race people are. I'm not researching unemployment rates based on race. US and State governments are doing that for me (and you, they just don't realize you don't know what they mean).
LMAO! So you conveniently overlook all of the other metros I listed in which Blacks comprise a larger share of the population...typical. And I never denied that Blacks have higher unemployment; hell that's always been true but you're deluded if you think that that's the sole predictor of a metro's unemployment rate. Failing to take nothing else into account in this regard is just dumb.

And I never called you racist so stop with the accusations.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't recall one time he called you racist. YOU made that up.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Mutiny you keep proving my point... People are voting for Fort Worth based off of the amenities that DALLAS has... If there were no Fort Worth, Dallas would still have those METROPLEX amenities.
I never denied that Dallas' s nearby presence isn't playing a part in the votes Ft. Worth is garnering; I just wanted to point out the fact that Ft. Worth is a viable city in and of itself; it's not a suburb.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:14 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Thank you.

I never denied that Dallas' s nearby presence isn't playing a part in the votes Ft. Worth is garnering; I just wanted to point out the fact that Ft. Worth is a viable city in and of itself; it's not a suburb.
Oh definitely. I agree with you totally that Fort Worth is a viable city by itself most definitely.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 PM

489 posts, read 910,922 times
Quote:
LMAO! So you conveniently overlook all of the other metros I listed in which Blacks comprise a larger share of the population...typical. And I never denied that Blacks have higher unemployment; hell that's always been true but you're deluded if you think that that's the sole predictor of a metro's unemployment rate. Failing to take nothing else into account in this regard is just dumb.

And I never called you racist so stop with the accusations.

Forgot about this thread until right now...

Calling actions by others dumb... but can't figure out how to read a simple table.

Pot meet kettle with "accusations". I never said it was the sole predictor of a metro's unemployment rate, silly. I said...

Quote:
Charlotte has a much higher AA population (almost twice the size). AA have a much higher unemployment rate.

Table A-2. Employment status of the civilian population by race, sex, and age

That's gonna skew the unemployment rate, nomsayin?
Then, you replied...

Quote:
"The people who want to work are getting work, but those lazy Blacks don't want to work so we need to discount them because they aren't real people and really don't contribute to the unemployment rate." That's your logic in a nutshell and it's actually pretty despicable
Not using the word "racist", but implying it.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Forgot about this thread until right now...

Calling actions by others dumb... but can't figure out how to read a simple table.

Pot meet kettle with "accusations". I never said it was the sole predictor of a metro's unemployment rate, silly. I said...

Then, you replied...

Not using the word "racist", but implying it.
Dude, this was SO last year.

I suggest you let it go. Everyone has moved on.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 AM

254 posts, read 401,129 times
Ok, for all of you who seem so confused by why some people get so frustrated anytime someone lumps Fort Worth in with Dallas or treats it like it's some suburb that owes it's very existence to dallas, consider the following:

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/cities...onregional.gif
http://www.mappery.com/maps/Dallas-Fort-Worth-Map.jpg

From downtown-to-downtown, Fort Worth is the exact same distance from Dallas as Washington is from Baltimore. The major difference is the size of Arlington, Irving and the smaller suburban "mid-cities" that sit in between making the two blend into one another as one mega region. That and the fact that they sit in the middle of the North Texas Plains/Cross Timbers as opposed to the Eastern Seaboard. Consider this plus the fact that the City of Fort Worth (the 16th largest city in the U.S.) is larger than BOTH Washington and Baltimore.

Now I ask you, imagine having someone say that they were from Washington D.C. and you responded with "oh, so, the Baltimore area..." or vice versa. That is why people get so testy about the issue (that and over a century of bad blood and political machinations between Dallas and Fort Worth).

And for those comparing the situation to Minneapolis-St. Paul, I'll just point out that the City of Fort Worth is almost 14% larger than both Minneapolis and St. Paul COMBINED.

Do the two draw off of each other to a certain extent for amenities, labor, etc.? Yes, to the same extent that Washington and Baltimore do. But in a discussion of Washington vs. Charlotte, nobody ever says, wait, you have to factor in Baltimore.

Truthfully, there have been many (perhaps even more) instances where having Dallas nearby has been more of a liability for Fort Worth than it has been an asset. I have spoken to several commercial real estate brokers who have their offices in Dallas and there are many occasions where a national tenant will decide they want to look at the DFW area and so they'll call up the Dallas-based brokerage, and a broker will find a great site that is perfect for the tenant in Fort Worth only to have his or her boss instruct them to limit it to Dallas, Irving and Plano because they "don't want to drive all the way to Fort Worth." Recognizing the effect that this can have, even Dallas's economic development leaders have made a strategic decision to try to encourage everyone to just call the region "Dallas."

Dallas and Fort Worth are very different (literally) from the ground up. Very different histories, very different economies, very different cultures. Fort Worth is an incredible city with a fantastic downtown that has chosen to invest more in walkability (see Sundance Square and it's new plaza) than in having a skyline hat impresses you from the freeway. Plus it has some of the best art and cultural amenities in the country.

People will sometimes play a game of what would Fort Worth look like today without Dallas and what would Dallas look like today without Fort Worth. My guess is that Dallas would look a whole lot more like Atlanta, only smaller, and Fort Worth would look a whole lot more like Kansas City, only smaller.

Sorry for the rant, but after reading this thread, I just had to get that off my chest.

Last edited by JMT; 03-01-2014 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
To me, Fort Worth is West Texas in a large city with lots of culture added to it. I love Fort Worth, but how does having Dallas close by become a liability? If anything they feed off of each other. The only thing I can think of is that having Dallas close by takes away some of the recognition Fort Worth might otherwise get.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFW View Post
From downtown-to-downtown, Fort Worth is the exact same distance from Dallas as Washington is from Baltimore. The major difference is the size of Arlington, Irving and the smaller suburban "mid-cities" that sit in between making the two blend into one another as one mega region. That and the fact that they sit in the middle of the North Texas Plains/Cross Timbers as opposed to the Eastern Seaboard. Consider this plus the fact that the City of Fort Worth (the 16th largest city in the U.S.) is larger than BOTH Washington and Baltimore.

And for those comparing the situation to Minneapolis-St. Paul, I'll just point out that the City of Fort Worth is almost 14% larger than both Minneapolis and St. Paul COMBINED.

Do the two draw off of each other to a certain extent for amenities, labor, etc.? Yes, to the same extent that Washington and Baltimore do. But in a discussion of Washington vs. Charlotte, nobody ever says, wait, you have to factor in Baltimore.

Sorry for the rant, but after reading this thread, I just had to get that off my chest.
Using city proper population isn't helping your point.

It is the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area. Their GDP is shared, the main airport includes both names.

From Fort Worth to Dallas, it's a 30 minute commute. From Washington to Baltimore it's just over an hour. Until there is a Washington-Baltimore metropolitan area (not CSA, which I'm aware of), this is completely irrelevant.

You can't take a city out of a metropolitan area 2 times as large as the one you're comparing it to and expect no one to include the rest of the metropolitan area just because "Dallas" isn't part of the thread title.

This is a Dallas-Fort Worth vs. Charlotte thread. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City