Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Heck, I'm just going to go ahead and say it, because I know many of us here are thinking it already;

Who in the right mind put the people at portfolio.com in charge of ranking cities based off of fun? This is the most disputable source of public information I have seen displayed about American cities in a very long time!

Lol! San Deigo is that low on the list, that's crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Its great seeing Seattle at 7th place, especially since it has a population that is 15-25th in America. I came from New York, and Im equally having fun here and not being bored here as in New York but also getting to be in a more laid back environment, where I feel more content and more relaxed than in New York, as well as an overall more clean environment. So overall, it actually beats New York because I get enough fun here but also without some of the negatives that I think exist with New York. Someone shouldnt have to live in a place like New York for that kind of entertainment and fun and all places should have entertainment options like that and be given that investment.

If Seattle was the same way as it is, except with having a population more than 2,000,000 instead of 600,000, it would probably be in the top 3. Seattle, San Francisco, and Minneapolis did really well on this compared to their population to the other places that are ranked high too. I disagree with Portland, Maine being 8th place. I find it quite boring there. I also dont think Philadelphia is that much fun.

I think the poll talks too much about New York City and not enough about other places on the top 20 that deserve to be given plenty of praise as well. It seems to view other places that isnt New York condescendingly, even the ones in the top 20, and that isnt fair for those places, isnt fair for America, and isnt fair for the world. A truly worldly and cultured person wouldnt have this one dimensional view like that and be able to see the positives that can exist in many places, and not just in New York. And this survey doesnt even mention the negatives that can exist in New York.

It also fails to mention that for some of New York's "fun" people have to take some flaws such as being crowded, a faster pace, lack of cleanliness, lots of noise,lack of nature accessbility, lack of space and other negative traits too.

That is one thing I truly hate about New York, that condescending arrogant sometimes narrow minded mentality that can sometimes be found there. That kind of mentality just sucks my soul out and Im glad to not have that mentality.

Dont get me wrong, I do love things about New York, but there are aspects of it I dont like at all. I also find aspects of New York to just crush my soul and creativity, even though there are things about New York that do inspire me a lot, and I have plenty of great memories from there. Even though there were many positive things about having been in New York for me, I wouldnt be the person I am today if I didnt get to travel and see other places and how many positive things can be found in other places and seeing beauty in other places, as well as if I didnt get to move from New York to Seattle. Having been exposed to environments outside of New York has been good for me intellectually, emotionally, and socially.

Living in Seattle has inspired me a lot like New York and it has been a great experience discovering this area of the country, like it has been experiencing New York and discovering places in it.

Last edited by ; 04-28-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Albany, Bridgeport, Rochester, Madison, and Poughkeepsie ranks over Houston, Atlanta, and Orlando. I'm convinced.

Looking at this list; I'm a little shocked Waco didn't make it. Possibly could've reach top 10.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Like every list, this one clearly has its flaws. Not to mention "fun" is extremely subjective.

For example, the "fun" of mindlessly blowing my money away while getting toasted on cheap liquor handed to me by scantily-clad women definitely has its limitations in my mind, but I'm sure others could do it for weeks at a time. Conversely, someone may be bored out of their mind by even the thought of walking through an art museum or touring a national park, yet many others find these things extremely interesting things to do. There are plenty of other examples, but the bottom line is "fun" is really a matter of taste.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
That list is a load of crap. Youngstown and Buffalo ahead of Atlanta, Houston, Charleston, and Orlando?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City