Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Yep, that's true, before the hurricane it was the largest city in Texas!
Yeah lol! The New York of the South... it's shame though, I really think about what it would be today if that Hurricane never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah San Antonio's growth rate is higher than Dallas's, but don't you think that all other things considered, Dallas will eventually become the second largest city in Texas again? Unless the argument about it's suburbs come into effect, but I think Dallas with some inner city rejuvenation can overcome that obstacle and reverse suburban growth for inner city growth. But that's if they pick up the pace with that.

Anyways, it just overtook San Deigo for the 8th spot in the last 6 months. Pretty nice. We'll just have to see about San Antonio and Dallas, because it's a very close call for both.
San Antonio's growth rate and raw numbers are both higher than Dallas. San Antonio also has a lot of ETJ that it has yet to annex. That will only boost its numbers. It'll be hard for Dallas to outgrow San Antonio, when San Antonio can do both suburban and urban growth. It's like if Frisco or McKinney were located in Dallas instead of being their own cities. That's the kind of suburban growth San Antonio is getting in its city limits that Dallas isn't.

Quote:
Dallas has alot of undeveloped land! Near Lancaster there is hardly any houses, you see nothing but farm land. The only reason San Antonio dominates Bexar County because there isn't no MAJOR suburbs in that county. I wonder why Houston and San Antonio annex so much land?
But there is hardly any growth out there. Even if it does pick up, San Antonio has even more vacant land in its city limits. And there isn't major suburbs in the county because, what would suburbs are in San Antonio city limits.

Quote:
I think the landscape is different for Houston and Dallas. Dallas has always had a competing neighbor (Fort Worth), which really made it hard for Dallas to be the dominant city in it's region. Houston and San Antonio on the other hand, have no such restrictions, thus they wield more power than the suburban cities around them. The Woodlands just narrowly saved itself from being annexed by Houston.
No matter what anyone in Fort Worth think, Dallas is no doubt the dominant city in the region. But I understand what you mean about Houston and San Antonio. Also, Houston is about done annexing. The Woodlands will most likely not be the last suburb Houston releases its ETJ to.

Quote:
If Houston had a major city right next to it, it would be much smaller!
Maybe. Houston was bound to grow anyway. Galveston's economy was more banking back then. Oil was discovered near Houston and I think energy would have spurred Houston to what it is today. Galveston would have had its own growth.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Yeah lol! The New York of the South... it's shame though, I really think about what it would be today if that Hurricane never happened.
I picture the island having highrises lined up like Miami!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
San Antonio's growth rate and raw numbers are both higher than Dallas. San Antonio also has a lot of ETJ that it has yet to annex. That will only boost its numbers. It'll be hard for Dallas to outgrow San Antonio, when San Antonio can do both suburban and urban growth. It's like if Frisco or McKinney were located in Dallas instead of being their own cities. That's the kind of suburban growth San Antonio is getting in its city limits that Dallas isn't.

But there is hardly any growth out there. Even if it does pick up, San Antonio has even more vacant land in its city limits. And there isn't major suburbs in the county because, what would suburbs are in San Antonio city limits.

No matter what anyone in Fort Worth think, Dallas is no doubt the dominant city in the region. But I understand what you mean about Houston and San Antonio. Also, Houston is about done annexing. The Woodlands will most likely not be the last suburb Houston releases its ETJ to.

Maybe. Houston was bound to grow anyway. Galveston's economy was more banking back then. Oil was discovered near Houston and I think energy would have spurred Houston to what it is today. Galveston would have had its own growth.
Much of what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Because it is true, Dallas has an immense amount of competition from it's suburbs as compared to that of San Antonio and Houston.

Houston was bound to grow and a large part has to do with the Port of Houston and the Bay. Major oil reserves being within the Gulf of Mexico played a HUGE role in Houston's development. But the decrease of significance for Galveston played a prominent role as well.

Yeah there's still a lot of discussion between Katy and Houston for some of the unincorporated areas that both Katy and Houston claim. Houston will probably keep majority of it though.

Yes, Houston really is done annexing. It's annexing days are coming to an end. However, the suburbs aren't. Conroe, and Sugar Land are still doing it. Sugar Land is working on getting New Territory incorporated within it's city limit, and looks like they're in the final stages for that.

San Antonio has more than sufficient amount of vacant land to grow, it has more land than one could possibly believe for growth.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

I am sure San Antonio will not develop all the land that it is annexing!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I am suprised that there is a Discussion on Dallas overshawdowed by Ft worth - seriously - try being a city 46 miles from NYC

Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am suprised that there is a Discussion on Dallas overshawdowed by Ft worth - seriously - try being a city 46 miles from NYC
Philadelphia has done very well for itself. I'm sure a farmer in Kazakstan has a higher chance of knowing about Philly over Fort Worth.

The city I feel most sorry for is Baltimore, DC overshadows it so much.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Try being two major city in neighboring counties like Dallas and Fort Worth. If look on the News for the national weather, You see Philly you won’t see FT Worth, They could at least put DFW.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Try being two major city in neighboring counties like Dallas and Fort Worth. If look on the News for the national weather, You see Philly you won’t see FT Worth, They could at least put DFW.
In Dallas-Ft. Worth when they show the national map you will see DFW instead of Dallas.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Well yes but mile wise the distance between Ft worth and Dallas is only a few closer than philly to NYC and NYC has 20+ million people - but yes it is definately the smaller sibling in the relationship. philly has always reatined it's own identity and is about the size of the combined Dallas and Ft Worth (DFW) even in the shawdows

But also a city like Wilmington just South of Philly loses its identity where it would be a mid sized city many other places or at least percieved as such
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City