Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 04:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times

Advertisements

People underrate Houston; I don't think it's tops in the south, but honestly think it's the best dressed city in Texas. I've never been impressed with the fashion scene in Dallas and even us Wacoans believe we dress better than Dallasites. They over do it for me; like their outfits will have potential than they go overboard and it becomes tacky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,332,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
They are good no doubt about it,But they are not sticking around either.Show me the national charts where the Northeast artist are getting the most play across the nation.You can't its a fact that if it dont have that SOuth vibe,it ain't getting NO kinda traction. Drake is hot,but he is on Cash Money label(not from NYC).
T.I.
Ludacris
Young Jeezy
Gucci Mane
Lil Wayne
Rick Ross
these are some of the biggest in the game and they all have and they have had more than One album.Why are those not careers?So what are you talking about?
rick ross barely even does tracks with southern artist and even sounds northern himself , he does not count.

young jeezy is garbage by far.

ludacris has been here for a while i am speaking about new southern artist now.

the only people i give you on your list is t.i , gucci mane , and weezy

all though weezy himself has been doing tracks with northeners for years , even doing certain mixtapes with dipset.

notice that southern hip hop artist who can actually make music always need a northener on their tracks.

examples on your list - ludacris , t.i . and rick ross(half your list)

Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,659,134 times
Quote:
Black Culture=American Culture
History-Martin Luther King Jr ,Rosa Parks etc...
Media-The nations on late night black talk show Moniquie
Rainforest Films
Music-Bithplace of Jazz,Rock,R&B,Gospel,Country Western
Tyler Perry Studios-The ONLY black owned studio in North America
The Atlanta University Center(A.U.C.)The largest consortium of black colleges in North America(Morehouse,Spelman,Clark- Atlanta,Morris Brown,ITC)
is it mostly African American oriented?
the only thing you listed that I care for that is distinctly Atlanta related is Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, etc

Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Lol are you serious, in atl they still be wearing white t's that go down to people knee caps lmao. I would put philly ahead of atl and dc imo

IS THAT A MOO-MOO?

Taken on Septa.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
IS THAT A MOO-MOO?

Taken on Septa.
Such fashionable people.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
to bad more then half those people cant make music for their lives. this is what i mean southern people dont know about hip hop they are in the spotlight cause the hip hop they are producing is in style now , and just want to run with it.

why arent their any real southern artist on your list. j cole , jay electronica are 2 real people from the south and off coarse their real music gets no type of play. but a wack song like lil john , snap yo fingaz will get so much play
No real Southern Artist?Well say what you want.It is YOUR opinion as to what constitutes real hip hop.Hip hop as far as I know is not a distinct regional sound.You "Hip Hop Gods" from NYC swear that because you guys created something from something that already came from other music(i.e. Disco,Soul,Funk,R&B), that now that Hip Hop itself is evolving away from its roots ,then it cannot be because its not coming from where you want it to.
But look at the charts over the last 10 years.Hip Hop is not the only game in town either.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,066,578 times
Quote:
Black Culture=American Culture
History-Martin Luther King Jr ,Rosa Parks etc...
Media-The nations on late night black talk show Moniquie
Rainforest Films
Music-Bithplace of Jazz,Rock,R&B,Gospel,Country Western
Tyler Perry Studios-The ONLY black owned studio in North America
The Atlanta University Center(A.U.C.)The largest consortium of black colleges in North America(Morehouse,Spelman,Clark- Atlanta,Morris Brown,ITC)
Amen on black culture being america's culture. But new york has had the biggest impact on black culture in the last past decades with hip hop alone. Hip hop is actually the only culture that we truly have

Harlem is the biggest most famous black neighborhood, one that propelled black culture into the mainstream to begin with.

Not trying to discredit the south, but the north did its part aswell

Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
No real Southern Artist?Well say what you want.It is YOUR opinion as to what constitutes real hip hop.Hip hop as far as I know is not a distinct regional sound.You "Hip Hop Gods" from NYC swear that because you guys created something from something that already came from other music(i.e. Disco,Soul,Funk,R&B), that now that Hip Hop itself is evolving away from its roots ,then it cannot be because its not coming from where you want it to.
But look at the charts over the last 10 years.Hip Hop is not the only game in town either.
you did not even read what i wrote. i wrote down 2 of the many southern artist from the south and as usual because of the no taste in hip hop from the south none of these southern real artist i named get no shine.

b.o.b is nasty but i bet half the people in the south think he lame since he aint coming out with a superman dance

and also dont stereotype or blame ny for tyout poor taste of hip hop , we created hip hop with talent and lyricism. we did not create hip hop so it could be raped by people like soulja boy who go on a track and says the word "superman" 5 billion times with a goofy dance to go with it. but then again to yall southern folks thats hip

Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,066,578 times
hip hop is straight NEW YORK CITY. And even rap is new york what part of rap sounds like any other genre. Listen to melle mels the message, which i would consider the first true rap song. What other genre sounds like that?. Listen to afrika bambaataa's planet rock, or the cold crush brothers. What genres sound like that?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
hip hop is straight NEW YORK CITY. And even rap is new york what part of rap sounds like any other genre. Listen to melle mels the message, which i would consider the first true rap song. What other genre sounds like that?. Listen to afrika bambaataa's planet rock, or the cold crush brothers. What genres sound like that?
southern people are in denial they know they are trash which is why you have southern people on interviews who claim lyrics are not in style no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City