Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd most culturally influential nation in the world:
UK 43 41.35%
France 5 4.81%
Spain 0 0%
Germany 3 2.88%
Italy 6 5.77%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 21 20.19%
China 18 17.31%
India 4 3.85%
Australia 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.92%
Brazil 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I think people sell the UK as being "more culturally relevant" in a modern sense too much. Besides English being a good second language, and artists being well-played around the world, the same can be said about Ireland. Irish artists and cultural impact around the world is more felt than the British.

How do I back that up? Ever hear of any major city in the world in the past 10 years that has not had a St. Patrick's Day parade? Or listened to U2 (or one of dozens of other prominent Irish musicians)? Who doesn't know what a bagpipe is? Or enjoy a nice pint of Guinness once in a while (even though it "doesn't travel well")?

Heck even Tokyo has a St. Patrick's day parade now! And I listed Japan as having a bigger impact than the Irish!

Here's why:

Anime and manga (HUGE now)
Video games (Nintendo and any number of smaller firms)
Toyota and Japanese reliability (Luckily other car manufacturers didn't get hit with the same gusto for reliability ... and the US gov't cleared Toyota of any wrongdoing in their lawsuits)
The food ... oh so delicious and healthy too! ... except rice.
You seem to be forgetting that That the UK is not limited to Britain. It is no longer the kingdom encompassing half of the world, but it does include northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England.

Also ever hear of the Commonwealth of Nations? The UK is still head of the Commonwealth- 54 independent nations including Canada and India.

Also The Queen is still the Monarch of the Commonwealth Realms, which means she is head of state of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia,Jamaica, papua New Guinea, etc etc.

The UK's reach is still extensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
This post was too overwhelmingly big so i cant respond to all of it. But for the most part, the notion that the UK is a bigger cultural export than america is straight crazy

Yes the usa gets tv ideas from the Uk. But American television shows,celebrities,movies dominate the UK way more than vice versa. Not even a competition. I heard brits saying that half of uk television is focused on american media

Its laughable to bring up the uk with music aswell. The united states CREATED THE GENRES OF MUSIC IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Stevie wonder
aretha franklin
michael jackson
prince
aerosmith
the ramones
kiss
Luther vandross
the list goes on and on. Britain cant compare
I disagree with her, too, but your list of artists, especially if it's in relation to genre creation (which is overreaching), is pretty terrible. Ugh.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
I agree also, in the grand scheme of things, the United Kingdom doesn't even come close to modern day America. And PDX_LAX, haha you're right I did underrate Japan entirely.

The United States is and has been # 1 for a long while now.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,087,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I disagree with her, too, but your list of artists, especially if it's in relation to genre creation (which is overreaching), is pretty terrible. Ugh.
Hell no i wasn't suggesting that any of those artist created any genres lol

But your post insinuates that my list was still ridiculous regardless of that. Which is absolutely absurd

Old 02-13-2011, 10:40 PM

pffft, the US is just a UK suburb along with Canada, The Southern part of Africa, South Asia, Australia and the Caribbean.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
The part of the world my family is from, there is a lot of hatred, absolute hatred for the United Kingdom, and in my favorite country outside of the United States which is Australia, there's a lot of disdain for the United Kingdom as well.

Yeah I think I'll take the United States anyday over the United Kingdom, we really don't know how good we have it here until we live abroad.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Hell no i wasn't suggesting that any of those artist created any genres lol

But your post insinuates that my list was still ridiculous regardless of that. Which is absolutely absurd
Crap list is crap list. You left out so many important markers.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
The part of the world my family is from, there is a lot of hatred, absolute hatred for the United Kingdom, and in my favorite country outside of the United States which is Australia, there's a lot of disdain for the United Kingdom as well.

Yeah I think I'll take the United States anyday over the United Kingdom, we really don't know how good we have it here until we live abroad.
are you kidding me?? everyone hates the UK.

I think the US has forgotten by now, but former colonies released in the last 100 years, they all hate the UK.

The UK along with Spain, Portugal and France raped the world and left it in shambles, but their cultural contributions still lives on.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Not sure if AG will allow this, but.....America is the premiere cultural exporter in the world, but what country do you think is second most influential in this category and why?
Kenya

Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Kenya
I wonder how fast he can run
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City