Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,306 times

Advertisements

I just checked the GaWC site agian and they classifiy LA as an Alpha- city now. So people can't rag on LA and say it's beta. Chicago also went up it seems. They're also numerous other cities in the U.S. that went up as well.

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 04-29-2010 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 09:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Wow, looks like Chicago moved up a tier as well.
I know I saw this just 3 days ago, they were recently promoted again! That's good news for LA!!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
This study isn't anywhere close to being "new". It was released in 2008 and posted several times in this forum between now and then.

So unless you just gunned Doc Brown's Delorean up to 88...lateness.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
So Columbus is a Gamma city and Cleveland and Cincinnati aren't? I used to really get interested in this list but that ranking is just a bit absurd.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So Columbus is a Gamma city and Cleveland and Cincinnati aren't? I used to really get interested in this list but that ranking is just a bit absurd.
I used to heavily reference this list before, but in the last 2 years I've really felt this list has somewhat of a biased view point, and that it doesn't efficiently display the cities in their accurate tiers/categories.

The fact that LA even dropped to a Beta world city was enough for me to understand what GaWC is all about, and also when San Francisco dropped out of Alpha a few years ago. And not to mention how both LA and Chicago have Washington DC beat by A LOT is mind blowing. I could understand by just maybe a bit but yeahh this list really is disturbing altogether.

Budapest and Prague ranked higher than DC is just downright sketch. Given Budapest being a European motor city, it does not match DC in most other categories.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times
yeah, GaWc, is the perfect name for this riduculous thing

Old 04-29-2010, 11:55 PM

370 posts, read 371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
I just checked the GaWC site agian and they classifiy LA as an Alpha- city now. So people can't rag on LA and say it's beta. Chicago also went up it seems. They're also numerous other cities in the U.S. that went up as well.

Thank you - it was tempting to make a thread about this, considering how ignorant, jealous, and hateful people here are towards LA's status as a global, alpha city.

On another note, and I've said this before in other threads, but LA was NEVER classified a Beta city. It has ALWAYS been ranked an Alpha city by the GaWC, so I have no idea where people got the "Beta" city stuff from.

Anyway, as always, LA owns.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 AM

Yeah Killkoolaide, honestly Beijing and Shanghai ranked above Chicago and LA? Please... build a few skyscrapers, clean your streets a bit host one freakin summer Olympic and you think you can top American ingenuity at it's finest, give me a break... GaWC needs a new management.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Where are all of these LA lakes? Or did you just steal Minneapolis' basketball team and not change the name?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Honestly, I think theoneandonlyLA is just posting crap for fun, I mean nobody in their right mind would think LA is the center of the galaxy. Or just an extreme case of homeroism. either way, I believe he just posts to see what kind people would reply, best not to feed him, just ignore his posts.
I'm noticing that myself. I won't disagree about the status and importance of LA. But even NYC is not the center of the universe, despite what people may say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City