Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick As Many As You Like (if I posted a city twice, only select it once please)
Phoenix, AZ 9 7.69%
Tucson, AZ 4 3.42%
Las Vegas, NV 7 5.98%
Albuquerque, NM 8 6.84%
Santa Fe, NM 3 2.56%
Austin, TX 34 29.06%
Dallas, TX 58 49.57%
Houston, TX 55 47.01%
San Antonio, TX 23 19.66%
Jackson, MI 2 1.71%
Atlanta, GA 41 35.04%
Jacksonville, FL 0 0%
Orlando, FL 9 7.69%
Miami, FL 22 18.80%
Tampa, FL 4 3.42%
Charlotte, NC 35 29.91%
Raleigh, NC 30 25.64%
Charleston, SC 3 2.56%
Virginia Beach, VA 5 4.27%
New Orleans, NO 6 5.13%
Los Angeles, CA 12 10.26%
San Diego, CA 9 7.69%
San Francisco/Bay Area, CA 13 11.11%
San Jose, CA 6 5.13%
Other (list in thread) 10 8.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:21 PM

185 posts, read 733,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hey guys, if possible, can you all state reasons about why a city is expected to grow? I know you're busy, but I think it will add more to the thread than just stating cities (since you can see what cities are popular on the poll anyway).

EDIT: Wow Miami is beating Houston now as well. Given how much people complain about it on these boards, I never would have dreamed this scenario...
You too, huh?

The groundbreaking for One Bayfront Plaza is now 2012 rather than 2011, but it is still go at this point. I walked into the developer's office and got this information last week.

[quote=QuantumX]
From wirednewyork.com :
Bayfront Plaza redesign completes

Terra Architecture has announced the completion of its redesign of One Bayfront Plaza, a US1.8 billion dollars landmark project set to redefine the skyline of Miami. Terra Architecture initially won the competition to design what will be Miami’s tallest building in 2006 and has been developing the design of this mixed use project since. An extensive redesign of the project which began last Autumn has just completed with the project now composed of a single 1,010 ft tall iconic tower with unparalleled views of Biscayne Bay.

One Bayfront Plaza is located at the heart of Downtown Miami, encompassing 2 city blocks. The project totals approximately 4 million sq ft, with 1.3 million sq ft of signature Class A office space, an 850 room hotel, 150,000 sq ft of retail area and one of the highest observation decks in the country, all located in the mixed use, 80 storey tower. The project is being designed to achieve LEED Silver certification.

The 850 key, world class, full service hotel, will be supplemented by 120,000 sq ft of banquet and exhibition space to serve significant conventions and meetings as well as the needs of the office and retail components.

The retail component fills the first three floors and will create a parallel destination for the 12 million annual visitors to Bayside Marketplace as well as for the more than 4 million annual cruise ship passengers.

The development schedule remains on track for groundbreaking in 2011 and the completion of the project in 2015.

a few renders that came with the news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Södermalm View Post
http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/"][/URL]
Friday, January 8, 2010
Under Miami 21 program, Banco Santander plans a taller tower

South Florida Business Journal - by Oscar"]http://www.bizjournals.com/search/results.html?Ntt=%22Oscar%20Pedro%20Musibay%22&Ntk =All&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial"]Oscar Pedro Musibay[/url]

http://assets.bizjournals.com/story_image/622931-0-0-1.jpg"][/URL] Banco Santander plans to build an 840-foot tower on Brickell Avenue.
http://assets.bizjournals.com/story_image/622931-0-0-1.jpg"]View Larger[/url]

In 2010, developers of buildings like the new Banco"]http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southflorida/related_content.html?topic=Banco%20Santander"]Banco Santander[/url] tower will need to get creative to build taller and more dense projects under Miami’s still-pending zoning code, Miami 21.
Banco Santander is considering paying for a transfer of development rights from other property owners to build an 840-foot tower on Brickell Avenue. The possible development strategy was part of a December briefing a bank official made to city commission Chairman Marc Sarnoff, his staffers and the city’s planning director.
Calls and e-mails to Antonio Julio Covas, the Miami representative for Banco Santander affiliate Santander Global Property, were not returned.
Paying for development rights is just one way that property owners might be able to develop more on properties and, in some cases, return to rights that existed under the city’s old code, which is in effect until May.

Banco Santander, europe's biggest bank and one of the 10 largest banks in the world, have acquired the building on Brickell Avenue where their LatAm headquarters are located, which they intend to demolish and build a new tower. It should be noted that Banco Santander is developing the property themselves, therefore it can be assumed that they will need no outside financing.

We might still see Met3 at 828 feet and Brickell Financial Center II at 903 feet tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:47 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
I like Miami but I don't see it experiencing any significant economic growth. Its MSA is larger than Atlanta yet Atlanta's GDP is larger. That tells me, even though Miami may have a significant concentration of international trade and banks, most of its economy is geared towards low paying service economy.

This is even more prevalent if you compare Orlando and Charlotte. Orlando's MSA is larger than Charlottes, yet Charlotte's GDP is larger.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
Reasons I said Orlando, Tampa, San Antonio, Charlotte, and Oklahoma City

Orlando: Light rail going in, Heavy rail going in, New Arena, New Concert Hall, Avalon keeps growing, Lake Nona is growing, UCF has gotten huge, UCF just opened a new medical school, more medical facilities are in construction.

Tampa: Heavy rail connecting Tampa and Orlando will quickly close the gap between the two. For a very long time there's been a sign on Interstate-4 between the two that says Orlampa at the halfway point. Once that Heavy Rail goes in Lakeland is going to blow up with residential property.

Oklahoma City: Has been growing for a while now and I don't see it stopping. I see it becoming slightly less conservative as more venues open. They also just became a contender in the NBA. Plus as people leave the meccas of Texas and California, OKC seems like a great option.

San Antonio: Somewhat the same reason as Oklahoma City, a clean city surrounded by overpopulated ones. I couldn't find any jobs to apply to in San Antonio but would've if I could.

Charlotte: I just voted for Charlotte because of the Mid-Atlantic cities I see Charlotte growing the most.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Wow Miami is beating Houston now as well. Given how much people complain about it on these boards, I never would have dreamed this scenario...
As you can see, the scenario has changed. I knew it was too good to be true, especially on City-Data. You end up with the third largest skyline in the country out of the blue, and people just love to hate you it seems.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Ok I would understand you saying Miami if most of the buildings that have went up the past 10 years were office buildings. But it's not. It's mostly residential. That does not speak to the economic power that you see in the other three Southern powerhouses. I think Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta will continue to become more prominent economically.

Now the smaller cities I can see will be Charlotte, Nashville, San Antonio, and maybe Oklahoma City.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:51 PM

BTW, alot of the cities that the OP named are not Southern. Such as every city in California and Arizona in the poll.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Dallas-Fort Worth will lead the way.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok I would understand you saying Miami if most of the buildings that have went up the past 10 years were office buildings. But it's not. It's mostly residential. That does not speak to the economic power that you see in the other three Southern powerhouses. I think Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta will continue to become more prominent economically.

Now the smaller cities I can see will be Charlotte, Nashville, San Antonio, and maybe Oklahoma City.
Well, Miami just put up two new office towers over 500 feet tall that I posted, whereas Dallas hasn't put up one single building over 500 feet tall since 1987.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumx View Post
Well, Miami just put up two new office towers over 500 feet tall that I posted, whereas Dallas hasn't put up one single building over 500 feet tall since 1987.
So you believe a skyline makes a city prominent economically? Miami GDP doesn't even compare to DFW GDP.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumx View Post
Ok and? Dallas still has more office space than Miami and still has a much more diverse and larger economy than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City