Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Gary's Miller/Miller Beach area is actually pretty solid for much of that neighborhood. Here is a census tract in that area: Census Tract 010100 in Lake County, Indiana
Here are some streetviews: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6199...EB-oGgiiuA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...ab45e6f1d613e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6203...9g!2e0!6m1!1e1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:07 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
You tried to post Google Street Views showing how Flint might have "nice pockets". I also showed that Gary and ESTL are going to have some nice pockets. That's all I did.

That's all good to know. I'm just saying that some places don't automatically gain the upper hand just because of diversity. Flint's White population doesn't make it a better place, especially when it's White population seems to be struggling as well.

2012 poverty rate for Whites

United States - 11%

Michigan - 13.1%

Flint - 26.4%

I would post more like Median Family Income, but American Factfinder keeps freezing.
OF THE DOWNTOWNS of those cities. Of course all those cities have the crappiest looking streets of all, but Flint has more middle class and lower-middle class sections than Gary and East St Louis, not to mention easily hands down takes the cake for the best looking downtown of the three. PERIOD. I refer you to East Village as something that looks almost suburban.

Last edited by CCrest182; 07-02-2014 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Gary's Miller/Miller Beach area is actually pretty solid for much of that neighborhood. Here is a census tract in that area: Census Tract 010100 in Lake County, Indiana
Did you miss where I said "downtown"?

Old 07-02-2014, 03:16 PM

465 posts, read 658,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It is. Unfortunately Flint may fall out of the ranking for the most deadly cities from here on out, because most of these studies require the city to be over 100,000, and Flint was at 102k in 2010, probably under 100k by now. I know Gary fell out of rotation since its population lost over 20k in the 2000-2010 Census.

I'll reenforce what cities I think don't get a reputation for being as dangerous as what they really are.

New Orleans Louisiana
Jackson Mississippi
Atlanta Georgia
Memphis Tennessee
Oakland California
St. Louis Missouri
Phoenix Arizona (especially in burglaries and car theft)
Birmingham Alabama

Some cities that are criticized too harshly

Chicago Illinois
Washington D.C.
Cincinnati Ohio
Indianapolis Indiana

I'm not sure why you think that DC is criticized too harshly. But there are many of us who live here that think that it's new reputation for being this completely gentrified, safe city is nothing but hype.

http://www.spotcrime.com/dc/washington

D.C. police probe latest spike in killings; number of female victims worries chief - The Washington Post

Local Digest: Fatal stabbing is District

Police say victims shot outside National Zoo were targeted - The Washington Post

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2013 | Infoplease.com

In D.C., pandas elicit more concern than the poor - The Washington Post

Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
It is. Unfortunately Flint may fall out of the ranking for the most deadly cities from here on out, because most of these studies require the city to be over 100,000, and Flint was at 102k in 2010, probably under 100k by now. I know Gary fell out of rotation since its population lost over 20k in the 2000-2010 Census.

I'll reenforce what cities I think don't get a reputation for being as dangerous as what they really are.

New Orleans Louisiana
Jackson Mississippi
Atlanta Georgia
Memphis Tennessee
Oakland California
St. Louis Missouri
Phoenix Arizona (especially in burglaries and car theft)
Birmingham Alabama

Some cities that are criticized too harshly

Chicago Illinois
Washington D.C.
Cincinnati Ohio
Indianapolis Indiana
Also, that list is messed up. D.C. has a deservedly high crime rate and attention, Chicago's rate isn't high, but they do have the highest # of shootings and murders and all over crime out of any U.S. city, and Indianapolis hardly gets mentioned, despite it having a very violent crime rate in recent years. Oakland, St Louis and Atlanta get tons of attention, even though some of those (especially Atlanta) has many nice parts. Phoenix isn't that bad.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
You tried to post Google Street Views showing how Flint might have "nice pockets". I also showed that Gary and ESTL are going to have some nice pockets. That's all I did.

That's all good to know. I'm just saying that some places don't automatically gain the upper hand just because of diversity. Flint's White population doesn't make it a better place, especially when it's White population seems to be struggling as well.

2012 poverty rate for Whites

United States - 11%

Michigan - 13.1%

Flint - 26.4%

I would post more like Median Family Income, but American Factfinder keeps freezing.
My original post was referring to the DOWNTOWNS of these cities. And Flint has the best downtown out of them all (Gary, East STL, ), and it is. You'd be insane to say otherwise.

Also, again, both cities have ****ty and better areas. But here's a little perspective and my whole point here.

This is a "better" part of East St Louis (in your opinion)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+...2,,0,4.65&z=21

Now, this is a "better" part of Flint

1125 Woodside Dr, Flint, MI @ https://maps.google.com/

Need I explain further?

Old 07-02-2014, 04:10 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,497 times
Quote:
It is. Unfortunately Flint may fall out of the ranking for the most deadly cities from here on out, because most of these studies require the city to be over 100,000, and Flint was at 102k in 2010, probably under 100k by now.

The FBI just collects offense numbers from participating agencies with a cut-off of 10,000.
The only real study would be working on the national report, they don't usually does ones
other than that.

All these stories that people pull from various news sources are just posting what the FBI publishes.

Last edited by DtX4415; 07-02-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 05:12 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Did you miss where I said "downtown"?
No, I was just showing that there are nice areas of Gary. Miller(Beach) is essentially a community that was annexed into the city decades ago. Miller Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
Quote:
No, I was just showing that there are nice areas of Gary. Miller(Beach) is essentially a community that was annexed into the city decades ago. Miller Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, our family just recently visited a beach in Gary. No problems there at all, and it was beautiful. Not all of Gary is bad, just the central area.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:31 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
My understanding of St. Louis is that it very much is criticized for its crime, and at a metro scale the crime there isn't nearly as bad as the city stats make it out to be. St. Louis has a dangerous rep, and the stats back this, but the metro area isn't that dangerous.

On the flipside, I don't think Indy is overly-criticized. Indy has a very high murder rate/tally and yet I almost never hear about Indy being mentioned when discussing dangerous cities.
Not even all of the city of St. Louis is dangerous either. Most of it is fine. The northern section of the city, past Delmar Blvd, is where you want to watch your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City