Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Newark,NJ - very bad crime is confined to 2 neighborhoods
New Haven,CT
Baltimore,MD
Wow. You'd think Newark was a complete dump too just off hearsay. I've been there and honestly thought the same thing, but I probably just happened to be in one of the bad areas (bordering East Orange).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 AM

195 posts, read 395,964 times
King_x Newark has many great neighborhoods were crime is little or nil. Newark gets a bad rap because of the New York media which loves to pound the city in the ground, Newark itself does not have many media outlets to spread the good news.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Newark- Most of the Crime is concentrated in its Western section. Ironbound-Society Hill-Downtown-Forest Hill are all very livable. I actually believe a lot is happening around Society Hill. A lot of new townhomes are up for sale, and people are snatching them up... Nice hard working crowds too!

Forest Hill- http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...,174.85,,0,6.2
Society Hill- http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...21.31,,0,-2.71
Ironbound- http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,142.52,,0,5.6
Downtown- http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=12,28.32,,0,1

Last edited by BPerone201; 05-03-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
I agree, I grew up in Forest Hill, Newark and it was always very safe.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
I would say a lot of cities in the south didn't seem nearly as bad as the stats show, especially the city-data crime index/crime rates. A lot of the cities in the south, especially many of the smaller cities, show crimes rates near or even above places like Camden, NJ, which is just ridiculous if you've actually been to these areas. Others are tourist destination and party cities, they're crime rates are higher because for part of the year the city has many more people (2-4 times higher) than the actual number of residents who live there all the time.

As far as cities with crimes rates worse than the stats suggest, it's more rare and mainly because of cities misreporting/under-reporting crime or not reporting this at all. I'm 100% sure and have proof for several cities, even big cities like Atlanta and Detroit have openly admitted to lying about the crime rate to the FBI and public/media. Cleveland under-reported the number of homicides by 44, and 45 for 2006 and 2007 respectively.

You probably haven't heard much about a small Cleveland suburb/city called East Cleveland but it's real crime rate is just below that of Camden, NJ. For the years that East Cleveland reported crime it wasn't collected and entered to the FBI accurately, and they haven't reported their crime stats period for the past 4 years. Another city you probably haven't heard much about with crime is Lorain, Ohio. Check on it's city-data page and it shows the crime rate is around to just above the average, when it's actually 2-3 times the US average. This is because the police department has been lying about the crime rate for years now, the actual rate is not 400 but actually closer to 800.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Many people think LA has a significant crime problem when to the contrary it is one of the safest major cities in the U.S.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,886 times
I'd throw Pittsburgh into this mix. Most people from other areas of the country don't view Pittsburgh as a very dangerous area. Although some of Pittsburgh's neighborhoods would be considered almost a suburb, some could be classified as extremely dangerous areas. Some even amoung the most dangerous in the nation (ex Homewood, Bedford Dwellings, East Hills, etc).

Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM

65 posts, read 164,914 times
I think the police in DC are shaving numbers....

Old 04-03-2011, 02:33 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,456 times
San Francisco is inaccurately portrayed to be a pristine city that is a playground for the rich and the liberal. This national assumption is pretty true for about a little bit more than half of the city. The remaining tucked away neighborhoods in southeast and central SF are easily some of the worst places to live in the United States. Social stratification along racial lines in SF has to be the worst in the nation. Blacks disproportionately represent the face of the extremely poor and downtrodden in SF more than any other city I can think of. Even Baltimore and DC have rich and upper middle class Blacks running the city. The predominantly Black district of Hunter's Point San Francisco is located on the most toxic waste dump in California. Non-coincidentally, Hunter's Point also has the highest infant mortality rate in California. Also, SF has one of the highest homicide rates for Blacks in the nation that is even higher than across the water in the notorious nearby Oakland, which is the fifth most dangerous city in America. Sadly, the projects in SF also have been ranked as the worst in the nation year after year. Many of these shoddy barracks built specifically for Black ship builders from the deep South during the WWII era are still standing. I think it is a little weird that the national media refuses to let the world know that what is quite possibly the roughest enclave on the West Coast is hidden away in the liberal faux-utopia perfect picture-esque jewel of the city of San Francisco.

A History of Bayview-Hunters Point, Part 2: Crime, Contamination, and Crisis | 21st Century Urban Solutions

Hunters View - not Sunnydale - ranks as S.F.'s worst complex - SFGate

S.F. more deadly than Oakland for blacks? - SFGate

Many corners of gritty SF neighborhoods like The Mission are also thoroughly unsafe and plagued with gang violence.

SF police respond to Mission gang violence surge - SFGate

Last edited by goldenchild08; 04-03-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 02:45 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,456 times
San Jose is also supposedly one of the safest big cities in the nation. However, scenes like this speak otherwise If you aren't familiar with the territory stumbling on a neighborhood like this would not be a good look:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City