Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:58 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It was about the same. Houston had 701 with 1.5 million. Miami-Dade county had 621 with 1.6 million.
Not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
It's declined. In fact, Memphis, New Orleans, Little Rock are worse than Houston to me.
Yes today but not back then.houston still has more shootings than the cities you mentioned.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Yes today but not back then.houston still has more shootings than the cities you mentioned.
These cities today are rougher than Houston and they have been for a while. There's really no debating it. I find Houston safer than New Orleans, Memphis, and Little Rock. Look at it per capita. These three have higher crime rates than Houston.

And I don't understand your not really comment. Both Miami and Houston were at their heights around the early 80s. Miami city was the murder capital in 1980.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
These cities today are rougher than Houston and they have been for a while. There's really no debating it. I find Houston safer than New Orleans, Memphis, and Little Rock. Look at it per capita. These three have higher crime rates than Houston.

And I don't understand your not really comment. Both Miami and Houston were at their heights around the early 80s. Miami city was the murder capital in 1980.
I agree that those cities you named are worse than houston today overall. But houston still has more shootings due to higher population.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 AM

922 posts, read 1,698,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Just admit your wrong. Anybody on this thread can easily look up houston was the murder capital with 701 murders in 1981. Several sites prove my case. Even the houston chronicle says the same regardless of your factless ucr data.

I guess you can't read, can you? I've posted the UCR tables - which is done by the FBI - and you you still ignore them.

No mater what Houston had in 1981, Atlanta still had a HIGHER Rate then Houston.
All those sties you're talking about are using the Chronicle as their source. Using your logic
Minneapolis had to be the murder capital in the 90's, because the New York times did that one
article that said it was.

Houston UCR Numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Wasn't Miami's murder rate in 1981 the highest in history? I think it was in the 200's per 100,000 k due mostly to the cocaine drug wars.
That was the Miami METRO area.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
I guess you can't read, can you? I've posted the UCR tables - which is done by the FBI - and you you still ignore them.

No mater what Houston had in 1981, Atlanta still had a HIGHER Rate then Houston.
All those sties you're talking about are using the Chronicle as their source. Using your logic
Minneapolis had to be the murder capital in the 90's, because the New York times did that one

Houston UCR Numbers.

It's over it's already been established that Houston as the murder capital that year not atl

Old 07-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post

Houston UCR Numbers.

You should also know the fbi known to change data

Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, someone from Indy was ragging on Chicago and how dangerous it was....until someone quietly pointed out that Indianapolis has a higher murder rate than Chicago.

Rates as of today for the year:

Indianapolis: 8.3/100,000
Chicago: 5.5/100,000

Indianapolis is up 19% from last year and 71% from two years ago. Not sure what's going on there.
New York City always has worse crime than what is reported. Newport News, VA and Portsmouth, VA are never as bad as they claim. Cities like New York always have a few horrific neighborhoods that are underreported nationally, but if you've lived there, you know what those neighborhoods are. Same with the Virginia cities I've mentioned, they have some great areas, but you would have to pay attention to WHERE and WHICH NEIGHBORHOOD the crimes are occurring (when they actually are reported in the news) and not so much attention to the fact that they have occurred in a particular town.

When I lived in Ohio Dayton was such a town. Never had any issues in that town. But I was never on the East side, lol. And when I was on the West side, I stuck with the neighborhoods I knew well, and I was never anywhere but downtown or in suburbia at night. So no issues, and that was over a 10 year period when that city was considered to be one of the worst in the state.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:41 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
New York City always has worse crime than what is reported. Newport News, VA and Portsmouth, VA are never as bad as they claim. Cities like New York always have a few horrific neighborhoods that are underreported nationally, but if you've lived there, you know what those neighborhoods are. Same with the Virginia cities I've mentioned, they have some great areas, but you would have to pay attention to WHERE and WHICH NEIGHBORHOOD the crimes are occurring (when they actually are reported in the news) and not so much attention to the fact that they have occurred in a particular town.

When I lived in Ohio Dayton was such a town. Never had any issues in that town. But I was never on the East side, lol. And when I was on the West side, I stuck with the neighborhoods I knew well, and I was never anywhere but downtown or in suburbia at night. So no issues, and that was over a 10 year period when that city was considered to be one of the worst in the state.
Yes I also believe NYC has a higher rate then reported. But even that is rising.
Murders up 20% in 2015 in year-to-year comparison, NYPD says - NY Daily News

Old 03-09-2015, 10:12 AM

192 posts, read 248,703 times
WOW. From those stats Chi has a higher murder rate than NYC/LA/Houston COMBINED wtf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City