Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:42 AM

287 posts, read 1,028,236 times

Advertisements

Internet trolls have collectively decided to act like everyone who enters Chicago is shot on sight. Chicago's bad reputation is a bit overblown in general, but I've seen event postings for movie screenings a mag mile hotels where half the comments are some variation of "I'm too afraid to be shot to go". I suspect it has much less to do with actual violence in Chicago and more to do with how some people feel about Barack Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 12:41 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,311 times
I would say Columbus OH has a more crime than people would generally expect (homicides, rapes, etc):

Columbus homicides, 2014 | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 AM

591 posts, read 782,044 times
"CHICAGO — It was seen as a moment of hope for this blood-soaked city."[LEFT]from: nydailynews.com

This is what sends out bad vibes regarding our city. Really? Blood Soaked?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Can I just say that while I think the discussion has tilted the right way, the way the OP (years ago) asked the question is kinda odd.

I mean, he asked people to use their own personal anecdote to explain why certain cities had crime rates higher or lower than they were officially tallied.

Instead, we're discussing cities which have better/worse reputations than the stats would suggest, which involves way less speculation.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM

79 posts, read 140,087 times
hands down its chicago people overblown the crime here to death!

People would even make up crime stories (also fake reports) about crap that didn't even happened!!

People sworn that it's much worst now than in 90s when it's MUCH better!

I would even hear from out of towners that it's "death trap" thinks citizens in chicago enjoy shooting kids and so on.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
Well if you can't trust that guy then who can you trust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollapalooza773 View Post
people overblown the crime here to death!
lol how apropos

Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
Huh, I hear a lot more "overblown crime stories" from outsiders than Chicago locals. It's true that people in suburbs around pretty much every city in the country are often the most hysterical about crime in their local city, though.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Huh, I hear a lot more "overblown crime stories" from outsiders than Chicago locals. It's true that people in suburbs around pretty much every city in the country are often the most hysterical about crime in their local city, though.
Oh yeah...or from other parts of the state or region. When I'd visit my relatives in Milwaukee suburbs and rural Wisconsin never shut up about "Watch out if you go to Milwaukee, it's too dangerous these days", "Watch out if you go to Chicago, you'll take a wrong turn and end up dead." My favorite was the cousin who would never shut up about getting lost and ending up by Cabrini Green--constantly warning us that any trip to anywhere from Old Town to Lincoln Park would possibly end with us somehow walking into Cabrini Green accidentally--which would apparently be akin to walking into Mogadishu circa 1993.

The West Coast is the same way though. People from the suburbs warn about going to cities and neighborhoods they hardly or never visit. People in Portland suburbs still talk about inner NE based on how it was in the 1980s--while at this point it's so gentrified, that the biggest danger is bike riders and high rents. People will talk about all of Oakland being dangerous, though you have people from the suburbs who don't even seem to be able to name an actual neighborhood in Oakland. It's the same everywhere.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
Haha, I actually did get lost and drove past Cabrini Green in the middle of the night years back with a rental car (long story!), and I definitely wouldn't have recommended it! But that was driving past literally the worst development in America during its peak-ish time with a brand-new car with out-of-state plates, and I obviously made it. Crazy to see things to a degree I've yet to see before or since (burning barrels on many blocks, more boarded up than Detroit or ESL, hookers in unbelievably skimpy outfits in 10 degree winter, you name it).

Great point on crime peaking decades ago in pretty much every major inner city - when you talk to people who lived through those years and are natives/locals, they'll tell horror stories about how much worse it was back then. If you talk to suburbans, they'll tell you it's way worse now in the face of any and all hard statistics to the contrary

Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Haha, I actually did get lost and drove past Cabrini Green in the middle of the night years back with a rental car (long story!), and I definitely wouldn't have recommended it! But that was driving past literally the worst development in America during its peak-ish time with a brand-new car with out-of-state plates, and I obviously made it. Crazy to see things to a degree I've yet to see before or since (burning barrels on many blocks, more boarded up than Detroit or ESL, hookers in unbelievably skimpy outfits in 10 degree winter, you name it).

Great point on crime peaking decades ago in pretty much every major inner city - when you talk to people who lived through those years and are natives/locals, they'll tell horror stories about how much worse it was back then. If you talk to suburbans, they'll tell you it's way worse now in the face of any and all hard statistics to the contrary
This is true and very frightening. It seems like ignoring facts has become the norm all over the US now. Very scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City