Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 01:32 AM

660 posts, read 1,081,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Even in Sacramento, blacks don't do a whole lot or have control over their communities. This is why I suggest to anyone black in CA, GTFO and go to Atlanta.
Sacramento has a Black Mayor (former NBA Star Kevin Johnson), and 3/8 of our city councilmembers are Black. WTF are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Haha, I actually did get lost and drove past Cabrini Green in the middle of the night years back with a rental car (long story!), and I definitely wouldn't have recommended it! But that was driving past literally the worst development in America during its peak-ish time with a brand-new car with out-of-state plates, and I obviously made it. Crazy to see things to a degree I've yet to see before or since (burning barrels on many blocks, more boarded up than Detroit or ESL, hookers in unbelievably skimpy outfits in 10 degree winter, you name it).

Great point on crime peaking decades ago in pretty much every major inner city - when you talk to people who lived through those years and are natives/locals, they'll tell horror stories about how much worse it was back then. If you talk to suburbans, they'll tell you it's way worse now in the face of any and all hard statistics to the contrary
I think it's because the suburbs have gotten worse in the last 20 or so years. Areas that were once considered suburbs 25yrs ago, have transformed into high crime ex-burbs. The inner-city has gotten safer, but the burbs have higher crime rates. And as far as Cabrini Green, I met a white Mormon dude who was doing missions there handing out pamphlets. It seems like Whites in the Midwest always have tales of driving or getting lost in some big Midwest city ghetto. This fear being played out on film like National Lampoons Family Vacation, when Chevy Chase and his family got lost in the ghetto of St.Louis.

Last edited by polo89; 06-20-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM

371 posts, read 454,596 times
Oakland.

You have your occasional really bad shooting, coupled with frequent break-ins and thieves running around, taking advantage of the gentrification. Its really over-exaggerated however, the murders have cooled off and usually happened in one area, and the break-ins are actually common but just lock your stuff up better and wait 10 years for all the criminals to get bored or move out. Meanwhile, half of Oakland is barely different from Berkeley and San Francisco, and yet Oakland as a whole gets this bad rep because of these incidents.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:21 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
Oakland.

You have your occasional really bad shooting, coupled with frequent break-ins and thieves running around, taking advantage of the gentrification. Its really over-exaggerated however, the murders have cooled off and usually happened in one area, and the break-ins are actually common but just lock your stuff up better and wait 10 years for all the criminals to get bored or move out. Meanwhile, half of Oakland is barely different from Berkeley and San Francisco, and yet Oakland as a whole gets this bad rep because of these incidents.
Oakland's bad areas really are BAD though and a lot of crime does happen in them, both violent and non-violent. I do agree also though that Oakland does get a negative reputation that it doesn't really deserve. There are large portions of the city that are perfectly fine and even quite a few that are completely upscale. I've always been pleasantly surprised with Oakland's nice areas. My wife and I actually had our engagement pictures taken at a park in the Oakland Hills before we got married...beautiful area with sweeping views of San Francisco and the bay!

Old 06-27-2014, 01:00 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
Oakland.

Quote:
There were an estimated 386.9 violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants in 2012, a rate that remained virtually unchanged when compared to the 2011 estimated rate. (See Tables 1 and 1A.) Aggravated assaults accounted for 62.6 percent of violent crimes reported to law enforcement in 2012.
Here's Oakland's numbers.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:16 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Many cities have high crime rates and horrible raw crime statistics on paper, but which of these type of cities do you believe gets a much worse reputation than it deserves (i.e. - Maybe the crime is just confined to a few VERY VERY bad areas, with much of the rest of the city being decent or very nice.

On the other hand, what cities do you believe are more crime infested than the "statistics" suggest?? (and which cities do you believe really does have widespread crime problems over much of the city?)
Overall crime stats don't make any sense because most cities live in two tales.

A good example of this is SF and Oakland. Oakland has the higher crime rate but a black man is in more danger living in SF.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I used to live in the New Orleans area and most of it is very safe, all the crime is concentrated in certain areas. Here in Baltimore the crime is everywhere and unavoidable. There is no place in this city where I feel safe walking at night alone or with others, and most people are afraid to use public transportation. In New Orleans that sense of danger was not as palpable. The key is that New Orleans like most cities is able to segregate its crime into specific neighborhoods while Baltimore unfortunately has crime everywhere, even in the nicest parts of the city.

Is St. Louis overhypaed for crime? It always ranks high on the national lists but I've never heard of it being a crime-ridden city at all.
I agree. I stayed at the harbor In Baltimore, and as soon as me and my friends left that area it was all ghetto from there. Nice people though.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM

266 posts, read 276,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Newark,NJ - very bad crime is confined to 2 neighborhoods
New Haven,CT
Baltimore,MD
I friend of mine did his masters degree at the University of New Haven. From his descriptions I doesn't sound like a very nice place. Granted this was about 12 years ago, and it could have improved since.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 PM

266 posts, read 276,803 times
There are lots of parts of NYC that don't have very high crime rates on paper, but "feel" like dangerous places just because of the appearance of the public realm. Things like roll-down security gates on storefronts, barb-wire fences around small empty lots (why does an empty lot need a fence period, let alone a barb-wire fence), metal bars on the ground floors of homes, etc.

They are at least phasing out the ugly non-see through roll-down security gates, but businesses have until 2026 I think to get rid of them, so you'll be seeing them for years to come.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
I friend of mine did his masters degree at the University of New Haven. From his descriptions I doesn't sound like a very nice place. Granted this was about 12 years ago, and it could have improved since.
Still a bad place and Hartford is rough to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City