Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,574 times

Advertisements

My vote goes to Houston Tx. Its more dangerous than the stats show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:51 AM

372 posts, read 450,104 times
New Orleans definitely. It has its bad areas like an other place but they are easy to avoid. Most of New Orleans is very safe. Disregard the news about the two idiots on Bourbon St. this past week shooting at one another over a drunken(probably) argument.

This is why I have a problem with open carry laws especially in places with heavy alcohol. But that's another discussion...I have never felt in danger or anything in New Orleans.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:17 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Flint MI is all hype by that a hole Michael Moore. It doesn't even have that high of a crime rate. I'd also say Compton gets a much worse rep than it really is.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Flint MI is all hype by that a hole Michael Moore. It doesn't even have that high of a crime rate. I'd also say Compton gets a much worse rep than it really is.
I believe Flint has THE highest crime rate for any metro of any size >100K people. If it's not #1, it's top 3. It's a very dangerous and crime-ridden city, I don't know why you disagree.

Source: http://lawstreetmedia.com/fbi-unifor...e-report-2012/

Edit: from that list in the attached source, I'm a bit surprised by:

Minneapolis (higher crime rate than: Cincy, Dallas, Richmond Va, or Ft. Lauderdale, essentially tied with Houston)
Cleveland (top 10, ahead of Miami, DC, Little Rock, or Newark)
Hartford/Rockford (both top 15, both always shock me to hear they're dangerous cities)
CT Cities (Hartford, Bridgeport, and New Haven are all top 20, and I've heard nearly nothing about any of them in the news)
Stockton (Never hear anything else about Stockton other than its crime rate....why is it so high?)
Atlanta (for everything that people here on C-D say about the lack of crime in Atlanta, I wasn't expecting to see it ranked so high at #11)

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 07-01-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Right, Flint is just as bad as advertised.

Stockton and Cleveland, I believe, pop up quite a bit as high crime cities (and I know first-hand about Rockford). Atlanta has bad areas, and I think that's known. CT cities and Twin Cities are a good call, many TC boosters on here completely skip over the fact that there are lots of problems, and at one point it was commonly called "Murderapolis" due to high crime.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
This is mostly going to be a moot point as I'm talking about Utah, which compared to many of these places is essentially crime-free, but here we go:

West Valley City and Salt Lake City (the two biggest cities in Utah.)

West Valley City has this reputation of being the poor/rough part of town.
Salt Lake City has this reputation of being the rich quintessential capital city and LDS Church headquarters.

The reality is that Salt Lake City has the 2nd highest crime rate in Utah while West Valley City is like .. 8th (South Salt Lake is 1st). I've lived in both. In two years in Salt Lake my house received graffiti, my roommate had a bike stolen and two arrests were made at the bus stop outside my house, and I lived in an area of town with $400-600k homes. One year in West Valley City I've yet to have a single crime happen to me. This is an area with 150-250k homes.

SLC has a lot of well off residents and big names within their city limits (Mormon Church HQ, The University of Utah, Utah Jazz, Salt Lake Bees, City Creek Mall, Gallivan Center, Utah Symphony... I could go on). We don't want to think crime happens nearby those places, even though it does, so the police do not as readily report this to news stations and there's always something big to report from one of the big venues in SLC. West Valley City is essentially a middle class suburb with a minor league hockey team and a small suburban mall. There's no big names trying to suggest crime doesn't happen here, there are rarely big exciting "good news" events that happen in a sleepy suburb, and with a large population there is always a "bad news" story or two to show on the news instead of the 4 or 5 stories from Salt Lake that only make it if reported by residents.

So we get this image painted of a nearly crime-free capital and this ghetto-tastic suburb run by gang bangers and drug lords, when both are very far from the truth.

Does this happen in other metros?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
I think many people sleep on Atlanta as far as crime goes. It's known more of a rich black city or gay black Capitol than it is known for being crime ridden despite the stats. That city does a great job advertising itself.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM

922 posts, read 1,698,497 times
Quote:
Violent crime rate is seven times the national average.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:45 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Violent crime rate is seven times the national average.
There are nice pockets. It's a very large city. It's downtown doesn't even look that bad.

529 S Saginaw St, Flint, MI @ https://maps.google.com/

vs.

617 Broadway, Gary, IN @ https://maps.google.com/

and

404 Old Missouri Ave, East St Louis, IL @ https://maps.google.com/

Last edited by CCrest182; 07-01-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
There are nice pockets. It's a very large city. It's downtown doesn't even look that bad.

529 S Saginaw St, Flint, MI @ https://maps.google.com/

vs.

617 Broadway, Gary, IN @ https://maps.google.com/

and

404 Old Missouri Ave, East St Louis, IL @ https://maps.google.com/
Great, thanks for the links. Now address the fact that the violent crime rate is seven times the national average, please.

Quote:
Flint MI is all hype by that a hole Michael Moore. It doesn't even have that high of a crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City