Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I find Colorado in a media juxtaposition where it does not have a big media obsession yet some of the most tragic and bizarre stories have come out of that state.

-Columbine High School 1999
This story hurt me as I know how hard kids in high school can have it.

-The Ramsey's in Boulder 1996
Still unsolved to this day, what happend to the 6 year old beauty queen?

-Ted Haggard-2006
yes I am exploiting him with his picture, matching hypocacy with monumental hypocracy. This is the former leader of a 10,000 member church congregation in Colorado Springs got caught tweaking out with a gay hooker in Denver. Sad.

-The Baloon hoax-2009
Is this what happens to reality TV stars when their 15 minutes of fame (in their case 5 minutes) is over? They are that desperate for attention that they get the whole country worried about a 6 year old boy spinning and blowing away out of control on a baloon at unhealthy altitudes, and then it all became a hoax?

Of course the state gets noteriety. Denver and Colorado are at the front of the line for green energy because they have the resources to sustain it. Aspen is Hollywoods darling ski resort town. Colorado offers a lot to redeem itself, but it's not too overhyped in spite of it's bizzare media past.

And last but not least, South Park. SP is the most equal oppurtunity show on the planet and pushes the limits with the 1st ammendment.
You could also add the Kobe Brayant Colorado snow bunny (rape) affair to the bad press list. I remember hearing jokes that Black atheletes should stay away from Colorado women.

And then there was the pro football player that got shot and killed by Denver gang members after leaving a club there.

My home of Atlanta though probably has more violence in one day than all of Colorado has in a week so really it's rep doesn't deserve to be that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Everything portrayed in the media is grossly exaggerated, whether there is some truth to it or not.
Unfortunately a large % of Americans believe everything they hear or see on t.v. or the radio or they at least see it as an accurate portrayal.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Everything portrayed in the media is grossly exaggerated, whether there is some truth to it or not.
Unfortunately a large % of Americans believe everything they hear or see on t.v. or the radio or they at least see it as an accurate portrayal.
Fortunately, actually visiting a particular city or place will greatly broaden one's view of it, almost without fail.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Even some of the people who say "the media isn't always portraying the truth" fall victim to the media sometime or another... it's sad really.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Even some of the people who say "the media isn't always portraying the truth" fall victim to the media sometime or another... it's sad really.
True.
I love when people come to a place full of misconceptions and then look stupid when it really isn't that way. I hate it though when they still force the stereotype even when the truth is in their faces.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
True.
I love when people come to a place full of misconceptions and then look stupid when it really isn't that way. I hate it though when they still force the stereotype even when the truth is in their faces.
I hate stereotypes. The way people outside of USA see Texans (I'm from Texas) is just stupid. I went to Hong Kong, and had brief conversations with the hotel staff, airport staff, and etc they asked me where I'm from, I said Texas, and they said, "You not sound like hillbilly".
Same thing in London, and Frankfurt.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Texans wear spurs and 10-gallon hats.
Atlantans are straight fromf gone with the wind or a lot of black people
New Orleanians are filthy drunks who switch between cajun and southern every other movie
Miamians are Latinas and metrosexuals
New Yorkers are either dirty and rude or rich
Mississippians don't wear shoes
Californians are made of plastic or they are grass eating health freaks

Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Cleveland and Detroit have been very damaged by the media. Cleveland especially unfairly.

Austin, Boston, LA, NYC have been glorified. Sure they're nice, even LA to an extent, but aren't "Heaven on earth" like a lot of media would like you to believe.
Maybe you guys should step up your promotional tourism videos...

"Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video" - AdGabber

Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Texans wear spurs and 10-gallon hats.
Atlantans are straight fromf gone with the wind or a lot of black people
New Orleanians are filthy drunks who switch between cajun and southern every other movie
Miamians are Latinas and metrosexuals

New Yorkers are either dirty and rude or rich
Mississippians don't wear shoes
Californians are made of plastic or they are grass eating health freaks
The one's for the south areas sound so much more harsher though, I'd rather people think I'm a grass eating health freak or made of plastic than thinking I'm a metrosexual or a filthy drunk.

But I see what you're saying, all this stuff projected via media completely ruins our image, it's not just in the USA, people outside think we're all idiots.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Yah well the media makes it sound like Austin is the only spot in Texas that is civilized..when Dallas and Houston are really the progressive futuristic cities..which elect gay and lesbian mayors, city council persons and sheriffs and county judges, have black police chiefs, mayors and school supers, etc..when Austin really doesn't do that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City