Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs. DC
San Diego 58 44.96%
DC 71 55.04%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM

466 posts, read 1,625,456 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to DC soon, so I have no idea what it's like. But i LOVEEE San diego.. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Awww c'mon doesn't that just scream fun? All I see is a winter wonderland You better believe I enjoyed every minute of that. Snowball wars, sledding, ice hockey/skating (not that I can ice skate, street hockey for me ) canceled classes! I think it's worth a lil shovelling. But it's pretty clear no one else agrees with me so I'll just let it go.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Awww c'mon doesn't that just scream fun? All I see is a winter wonderland You better believe I enjoyed every minute of that. Snowball wars, sledding, ice hockey/skating (not that I can ice skate, street hockey for me ) canceled classes! I think it's worth a lil shovelling. But it's pretty clear no one else agrees with me so I'll just let it go.
I'll admit snow in a big city does look fun and it makes the city look really beautiful when it first falls. I remember watching those videos of the snowball fights in DC and Times Square after those storms, it was pretty cool and I was a little jealous. I like snow, just in small doses and prefer it stay in the mountains, haha. But plenty of people like 4 seasons and would hate the climate in San Diego.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,954 times
Quote:
If I were five again? Sure...fun.

But as an adult trying to get to work or the store or anywhere ?

As an adult that must shovel 2-3 feet of snow?

Yeah, right.

Year round 75° weather, sunny with a gentle sea breeze. That's the true nightmare!!

Old 05-03-2010, 03:13 PM

515 posts, read 986,156 times
Odd comparison... both are nice cities, however I find DC to be far more interesting and dynamic from an urban perspective - which appeals to me - therefore its my choice.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM

358 posts, read 754,731 times
Love both of them, but I'm going with San Diego for it's better active lifestyle, topography and weather.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
Two completely different cities, with pros and cons to each. Where would you rather live and why?
Sorry - this is far too vague. You need to list specific criteria for a "vs" thread. Please read the room sticky to see what is and is not allowed here: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

ADDED LATER BY OP:

Use the following criteria for further replies:

"Cost of living
Attractiveness (of the city/landscape, not the people)
Culture (theater, museums, etc.)
Things to do
Weather
Lifestyle
Food
Job opportunities

I'm just curious if people had the option to choose to live in either place, where would they rather live? They're such different cities and they both offer things the other doesn't."

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-04-2010 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
SD is nice for the palms, the beach and Mexican food , but is very republican and not diverse. DC is more diverse, liberal, and has the most beautiful springtime ever (magnolias and cherry blossoms)! Also, I felt more of a sense of community there than in San Diego. That said, the winters in DC sucks, and the summer humidity, heat and bugs annoy the crap out of me.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
SD is nice for the palms, the beach and Mexican food , but is very republican and not diverse. DC is more diverse, liberal, and has the most beautiful springtime ever (magnolias and cherry blossoms)! Also, I felt more of a sense of community there than in San Diego. That said, the winters in DC sucks, and the summer humidity, heat and bugs annoy the crap out of me.
Springtime in DC is great for allergy sufferers.

...and the crime rate is real low.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM

239 posts, read 509,132 times
Cost of living: Both have a very high COL. In DC there are many jobs that are high paying, therefore most residents can afford the high COL. The problem with San Diego is that most jobs don't pay appropriate to the COL. So I'd say DC wins.

Attractiveness (of the city/landscape, not the people): They are both beautiful cities. DC monuments and townhouses are gorgeous and it feels like a park in a city as someone once stated. San Diego is beautiful with its interesting topography, palm trees, and the ocean. IMO I prefer the natural beauty of San Diego over architecture and landscape beauty of DC. But it can be a toss up.

Culture (theater, museums, etc.): I'd have to go with DC on this one because it is a more "world-class" city when compared to San Diego.

Things to do: Tie. In DC there are the monuments, museums, rallys. San Diego there is Balbola Park, world class zoo, the beach, hiking. Both cities have areas with good nightlife. It really depends on what one prefers to do in their free time.

Weather: San Diego no doubt because of its Mediterranean, sunny climate. Although DC is good if you like four seasons with milder winters than the Northeast.

Lifestyle: San Diego because it's more laid back and outdoorsy.

Food: DC has more cultural variety, but San Diego has excellent Mexican food.

Job opportunities: DC has a more stable economy and higher wages because of the federal government. But it depends on one's field as well, as San Diego is probably better for biotech industries.

My input. Both are my top favorite cities in the U.S. I think DC is better if your a (young), urban professional. San Diego is better if you want a more laid back lifestyle. I prefer the laid back lifestyle of San Diego, but everyone is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City