Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The lakes may be great but I don't see Duluth and Rochester being on the same "coast."
Why not? Culturally, Rochester has more in common with Duluth than with NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
Who cares? I think the "picture test" is beside the point. Nobody ever said lakes can't look like oceans. Nobody said lakes aren't good. We're just saying they aren't a coast .
And we're saying your wrong. Apparently Google Maps and Dictionary.com disagree with you as well.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The lakes may be great but I don't see Duluth and Rochester being on the same "coast."
Its academic but it could be argured there are 5 separate Great Lake coasts. The lakes are separated by straits, rivers, lakes and a waterfall, which means the argument that it is a single coastline is a bit odd.

For example, in order for Lake Ontario and Lake Erie to be a single coast, we have to consider the connecting Niagara River and NIAGARA FALLS, as part of the same coast.

A river and a waterfall is a coast? It is kind of awkward.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Nobody is really referring the Great Lakes as the 3rd Coast. I live on the shores of Lake Superior and I have never heard the term 'coast' in reference to the giant lake. I'm sure the same is for Milwaukee, Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland...
Actually, Chicago has a neighborhood known as the Gold Coast and Milwaukee's Lower East Side is sometimes referred to as the Gold Coast as well.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,971 times
I think Alaska takes the 3rd coast title

Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
^ Thats not Continental US though.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
The Gulf Coast is the 3rd coast.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 PM

128 posts, read 273,328 times
Has the OP never heard the term "Gulf Coast"?

I know there are some nice beaches along the great lakes and it has some very pretty coast. However, there really is no contest here. I can't imagine why anyone voted for the great lakes unless they live in that region, hate the gulf coast, or a combination of the two.

I don't know why niceness of beaches is somehow the determining factor to some people here, but even then, have you ever heard of panama city, florida or south padre, texas? They're major spring break destinations.

As for which one is an oceanic border of the country and continent, have you ever seen a map? There's an ocean to the east of us, one to the west of us, and half of the south of us is the gulf. I mean, it's obviously the "third" one I don't know how I can spell it out if it isn't obvious enough already.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its academic but it could be argured there are 5 separate Great Lake coasts. The lakes are separated by straits, rivers, lakes and a waterfall, which means the argument that it is a single coastline is a bit odd.

For example, in order for Lake Ontario and Lake Erie to be a single coast, we have to consider the connecting Niagara River and NIAGARA FALLS, as part of the same coast.

A river and a waterfall is a coast? It is kind of awkward.
This was my point form the beginning. If the Great Lake has a coast; than every lake in this country does. I wasn't trying to talk down on the Great Lakes (Which looks amazing from the pictures posted); but it's nothing more than an area with big lakes; completely different from the ocean or a gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City