Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Which pictures? If you could post them again it would be appreciated.
Page 18 of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Page 18 of this thread.
Thanks, and I think the main difference is that the lake doesn't have waves that crash down on the sand, maybe I'm wrong. If you think about it though, not even including the rest of the states in the gulf coast, Florida alone has it's own coast that goes all the way from South Florida up to North Florida. Florida actually has 2 coasts by itself, so if the eastside of Florida is the Atlantic Coast, then what would the westside be? Gulf Coast aka the 3rd coast .

Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,921,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Awesomeness

I was just out in LA last Summer. How could I forget? I referenced Long Beach because it is to LA what Galveston is to Houston. Should I have used Kemah or Clear Lake as a better/closer example?
I was talking about how close this "Ocean or Lake" was to the downtown and densely populated areas. Downtown Houston is 50-60 miles from the gulf of mexico and pretty much none of the densely populated areas touch it, it's not even really a coastal setting while LA, Chicago, Cleveland, etc are.

You chose Long Beach apparently because you didn't know the pacific ocean was also west of downtown, but really it was because you were looking for an area further away and are now trying to explain it away by "ports" or some BS that has no logic. Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, LA airport, etc etc etc all on the Pacific Ocean. And Houston? Galveston? lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I sure don't see a coast.
I doubt you can add and subtract so you're opinion doesn't mean much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
Who cares? I think the "picture test" is beside the point. Nobody ever said lakes can't look like oceans. Nobody said lakes aren't good. We're just saying they aren't a coast .
As we've seen the definition of a "Coast" definitely isn't the same thing depending on what source you use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Nobody is really referring the Great Lakes as the 3rd Coast. I live on the shores of Lake Superior and I have never heard the term 'coast' in reference to the giant lake. I'm sure the same is for Milwaukee, Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland...

What I don't get is this crazy complex that people keep carrying around like, "It's just a lake" and "That's exactly what they are, a lake", like there is something disgustingly wrong with a 'lake'.

I think it's safe to say that the US has an East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast. The Rocky Mountains. The Appalachian Mountains. The Grand Canyon. The Great Lakes. (dont see any 3rd coast in there)
I've personally heard it called "Coast" many of times. People have been calling Cleveland/Northern Ohio (and to a lesser extent the entire Great Lakes Region) as the "North Coast" for at least 30-40 years now. I've also heard "3rd Coast" and "Fresh Coast" plenty of times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
It's funny, earlier in this thread someone claimed the great lakes couldn't be a Coast because they weren't considered Seas, yet this link you gave clearly says they're seas, hmmm. The definition of "Coast" they gave was when the land meets an Ocean or a Sea, apparently not a lake.
Quote:
Actually, Chicago has a neighborhood known as the Gold Coast and Milwaukee's Lower East Side is sometimes referred to as the Gold Coast as well.
Don't forget the Cleveland/Lakewood "Gold Coast". It's just like a smaller version of Chicagos Northside Gold Coast, complete with many high-rises and great density: Lakewood Gold Coast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, notice on the link they also call it the "Lake Erie Coast" hmmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
The Gulf Coast is the 3rd coast.
Wow, what an intelligent post. Says who? You?
Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post
Has the OP never heard the term "Gulf Coast"?

I know there are some nice beaches along the great lakes and it has some very pretty coast. However, there really is no contest here. I can't imagine why anyone voted for the great lakes unless they live in that region, hate the gulf coast, or a combination of the two.

I don't know why niceness of beaches is somehow the determining factor to some people here, but even then, have you ever heard of panama city, florida or south padre, texas? They're major spring break destinations.

As for which one is an oceanic border of the country and continent, have you ever seen a map? There's an ocean to the east of us, one to the west of us, and half of the south of us is the gulf. I mean, it's obviously the "third" one I don't know how I can spell it out if it isn't obvious enough already.
I could say the same thing about people picking the Gulf Coast.

Have you heard some of the determining factors from the other side? urbandictionary, wikipedia pages they themselves edited that same day, the salt in the water giving you a sunburn faster, palm trees, different definitions of "Seas" and "Coasts" given by the same side of the argument which contradict themselves, a poll on city-data, and their own opinions. Lol what a joke.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 PM

164 posts, read 334,657 times
Quote:
Thanks, and I think the main difference is that the lake doesn't have waves that crash down on the sand, maybe I'm wrong.
I've lived in Duluth my entire life and I assure you there isn't a second without a wave from Lake Superior crashing down on the beach.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
I'm wondering if people think the Edmund Fitzgerald sunk in calm waters (with no waves).

Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM

Ok ok, lol the lakes do have waves that crash down on the beaches. I am just basing my opinion off the fact that the Gulf Coast looks more like a coast than all of those scattered lakes. The Gulf Coast is just 1 long entire coast.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Highly Doubt it

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Quote:
Ok ok, lol the lakes do have waves that crash down on the beaches. I am just basing my opinion off the fact that the Gulf Coast looks more like a coast than all of those scattered lakes. The Gulf Coast is just 1 long entire coast.
No, it isn't. It's broken up by estuaries and swamps, it's not one big continuous beach.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times
Quote:
Exactly. In orlando we could take all of our lakes and say we are on a coast. Lake Apopka sure feels like it and they have artificial beaches around it but we know, it is a LAKE.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't. It's broken up by estuaries and swamps, it's not one big continuous beach.
I'm basically talking about Florida which can pretty much hold it's own ground when talking about a 3rd coast. It already has 2 coasts out of the 3, Atlantic and Gulf, if some how half of the US fell into the water Florida could possibly have all 3 coasts combined, but then the Gulf and Pacific would just be 1 coast lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City