Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami (South FL) energy or Los Angeles energy
Miami 49 54.44%
Los Angeles 41 45.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

DT Miami is a GREAT place for locals to congregate after work. There's plenty of markets, restuarants, clubs, bars, etc in Downtown. And then the surrounding communities are all gentrified artsy, fashion, districts. Wynwood, and the Design District come to mind. Tourist may visit Wynwood, especially around art basel. But overall, LA is just bigger and just has more to offer overall than Miami. Miami doesn't have a district on the level of the downtown LA fashion district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM

696 posts, read 1,169,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
and who the hell visits Downtown Miami when visiting and for what? Bayside Marketplace? Generic condos in Brickell?
You've never been to Miami I can tell, nice job pointing out the obvious you haven't. Kudos to you.

And on a whole other note.. Anybody else watch the Heat take apart the poor Leakers. ?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
You've never been to Miami I can tell, nice job pointing out the obvious you haven't. Kudos to you.

And on a whole other note.. Anybody else watch the Heat take apart the poor Leakers. ?
Good I hate the Lakers.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:

I have visited before actually and Downtown Miami is nothing special like you try to make it out to be. And I can tell you don't actually live in Miami but just like to pretend you do. It's really bizarre actually. I'm sure it will be only a matter of time before you're banned again for creating another account.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I have visited before actually and Downtown Miami is nothing special like you try to make it out to be.
You have visited before, but yet you don't have a single clue what you are talking about... Hm.. Ok..

Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It's just kind of funny because if anything, Miami's development looks almost exactly the same as Los Angeles'. Seriously Long Beach and Miami could be the same city from a development standpoint.
I agree. Architecturally wise, Coastal LA County and Dade County are very similar to each other with the Mediterrnean style housing found throughout both cities.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Good I hate the Lakers.
We're gonna have to ask you to leave.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I recently spent two weeks in Miami and my best friend who's a native of Los Angeles had nothing but negative things to say about Miami when I told her how beautiful I found it to be. I enjoyed LA, but it seemed to lack the energy of Miami/South FL. It's unexplainable, but Miami just seemed to have the extra "something" that I didn't get in LA. If you've experienced both, which did you find the most appealing/lively?

-Miami
-Los Angeles
It's tough to say. The thing about Miami is that there's an intense, laser-like focus on Miami Beach in terms of tourism and entertainment. So of course it's going to seem more jumping than L.A. during MTV Spring Break/Biker Weekend/Memorial Day, etc. In L.A., there are more destinations in total, so you don't have every single visitor to the Metro area swarming to one place all at once.

They should really consider renaming Miami Beach "Miami" and just calling the actual city of Miami something different altogether. That way people would actually be accurate when they say "I'm going to Miami this weekend."

Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
It's just kind of funny because if anything, Miami's development looks almost exactly the same as Los Angeles'. Seriously Long Beach and Miami could be the same city from a development standpoint.
True, I do like Long Beach , but Miami is a city much more on steroids.

It's towers are taller.
It's downtown is more vibrant and happening.
The beach bay view and the beaches nearby are better.
the women are better
the whole latin/caribbean vibe is better
the whole lifestyle is better
the types of foreign cars being driven around in Miami are better
The nightlife is better
NFL / NBA pro sports
None stop entertainment and fun.

I can go on and on..

That is not to say I don't like Long Beach, because I really love Long Beach, but Miami offers so much more on a much bigger scale.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times
Quote:

Hey, maybe if the Heat win 14 more NBA championships they will have a slight clue as to what it's like to be considered in the same sentence as the Lakers. Once Bron and Wade finish not living up to the hype it's back to the cellar you go

Anyway, I voted Los Angeles. This thread is a joke. Miami's "urbanity" is the most overrated phenomenon in the country. Century City is more walkable and interesting than that lame condo fest you call a downtown. And really, the difference in scale between LA and Miami is EPIC. LONG BEACH is a bigger city than Miami. THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES EVERYDAY THAN THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF MIAMI. This isn't exactly an apples to apples ocmparison here. Honestly, LA is so massive and entertaining. Just because some tourist from Atlanta got lost in the Valley doesn't make LA overrated. It makes that trourist a retard. Also, LA's metro isn't the only great thing about LA. If fact, it's the other way around. Miami is a small muggy little town without it's metro.

Los Angeles is more well rounded, it's more polished. It's not JUST a party town full of spring breakers who never grow up. It's a world class city with millions of things to keep you entertained and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City