Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami (South FL) energy or Los Angeles energy
Miami 49 54.44%
Los Angeles 41 45.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,408,918 times

Advertisements

I recently spent two weeks in Miami and my best friend who's a native of Los Angeles had nothing but negative things to say about Miami when I told her how beautiful I found it to be. I enjoyed LA, but it seemed to lack the energy of Miami/South FL. It's unexplainable, but Miami just seemed to have the extra "something" that I didn't get in LA. If you've experienced both, which did you find the most appealing/lively?

-Miami
-Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 12:04 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,504,951 times
Miami is just more vibrant to me. They have many similarities to me, one just seems wet and the other seems dry. Miami just has this colorful energetic vibe about it and I've always felt that hispanic culture from the Caribbean and South America have more vibrancy than that of Mexico and Central America so that might influence it as well.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,260,305 times
I find Miami to be more vibrant and energetic than LA. LA is more laid-back. Miami can be downright exhausting and chaotic sometimes.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,091,641 times
I always imagined both to be a lively place but Miami really is most fast paced and party styled (Vibrant). Proof is in the construction boom, happened soooo fast....

But LA is definitely not a slouch, this thread just compares to Energy Power Houses at their best.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,740,692 times
I want to spend more time in Miami, I was only there for about 4 days back in November. But I expected it to be more chaotic and vibrant than what I experianced, maybe b/c it was at the very beginning of their high season or something I dunno. But I do get what people are saying about that colorful, vibrant Latin/Caribbean culture it has. I remember going to the Bayside Marketplace after the Nets/Heat game and these bands playing and people dancing to Cuban music, it was pretty cool. Cuban music seems more vibrant/upbeat than Mexican/mariachi type stuff.

But overall I feel LA has more going on, seems more chaotic and crazy to me, and is so much larger. But I've also spent much more time there than in Miami and for being a much smaller metro, it does pack quite a punch.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,408,918 times
Thanks so much! I argued my point up/down because my friend's opinion seemed to be based almost on rivalry as opposed to objectivity.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,165,654 times
Lived in Miami...live in LA now...definitely here, but that's just my opinion...

Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM

353 posts, read 818,155 times
Miami,

Los Angeles is way bigger and also with obviously more people and it offers a few more things, however here is the problem due to the size that LA metro takes it brings down a lot of the vibrancy and its just to scattered and at times a bit dissapointing (the places the the vibrant atmostphere has)
Los Angeles hispanic population is most mexicans and it is quite arguable that Latins always add that extra push on the vibrant atmostphere, Miami mostly has cubans/Caribbeans which in my opinion they add more than the over populating mexicans. (no offence to anyone that is mexican)

and in all, who ever says LA is more vibrant than Miami is a completely fool and its just trying to show off, LA and Miami can share vibrancy about in the same stage or if not (in my opinon) Miami does it a bit better.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 PM

353 posts, read 818,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Lived in Miami...live in LA now...definitely here, but that's just my opinion...
why definitively in LA? like whats the deal in LA? celebrities, Hollywood... not the LA that regular people are shown, besides Miami offers plenty of celebrities and better beaches/ better nightlife

Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM

370 posts, read 373,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
Miami,

Los Angeles is way bigger and also with obviously more people and it offers a few more things, however here is the problem due to the size that LA metro takes it brings down a lot of the vibrancy and its just to scattered and at times a bit dissapointing (the places the the vibrant atmostphere has)
Los Angeles hispanic population is most mexicans and it is quite arguable that Latins always add that extra push on the vibrant atmostphere, Miami mostly has cubans/Caribbeans which in my opinion they add more than the over populating mexicans. (no offence to anyone that is mexican)

and in all, who ever says LA is more vibrant than Miami is a completely fool and its just trying to show off, LA and Miami can share vibrancy about in the same stage or if not (in my opinon) Miami does it a bit better.
Crazy talk. Miami is a suburb compared to LA. LA is the epitome of vibrancy and diversity. Miami can't compare.

LA doesn't have to show off. Especially versus Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City