Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

These are four cities I plan to visit very soon. I have somehow missed these towns as I pay closer attention to bigger cities around them so even though I have driven though them, I have never taken the time to explore any of them. But now all four are on my "short list" to visit in the next few months.

What can people say about them?, how do they compare to each other?, what is there to do in them?, do they have vibrant urban cores or are they more run down?, what areas are high crime etc? Any secret amazing places to photograph these towns?

I'm just looking for basic info on these, what they have too offer tourists and residents and how they compare to each other, but I would really like to know if they are towns worth taking the family to for a couple of days vacation or if they really are just towns that I should visit on my own time (not much to see or do there).

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:34 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
They all have decent sized italian populations. You can throw a rock in any of those cities and get a good Italian meal. They are all in the same size category. I'd say Providence would have more of a vibrant urban core, though they all have things to do in the city limits. I recommend federal hill in Providence.
I live in Rochester and have worked in all 4 cities but am more familiar with Buff and Roch.
If you are looking for things to photograph, Rochester has high falls which is pretty cool. A waterfall right downtown. There are some cool areas of Mt Hope cemetary.The mansions along East Ave just outside of downtown are pretty cool looking. If you are into photography, you should visit the George Eastman house. The memorial art gallery has a good collection also. There are many festivals going on during the summer months that are worth going to (lilac festival, park ave festival, various ethnic festivals). Local cuisine includes Garbage plates, white hots and chicken french(an Italian dish).
In Buffalo you must go to Duffs or Anchor bar for wings. They have some great parks in the area. Take a stroll in Elmwood village. The Albright-Knox art gallery has a great collection.
Providence is fun but most of the things I've done there aren't too family friendly.
I've worked in Hartford a few times and had some good pizza in the area but never got to explore the downtown outside of working hours. It has a pretty big skyline for the size of the city.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
There's lottsa nice stuff to see in Hartford. Personally I think the architecture alone in the city is worth coming to see, I love it. You can see the world's 1st two sided building, the capital building is just beautiful, you have to see that, and St Cyril and Methodius, a beautiful 100 year old church that's amazing to see inside and out. Those are just a few. You can visit the largest stone arch bridge in the world, the country's oldest public park and art museum, among others. It's a city with tons of history and lots to see. Great lil places to eat and I'll stop myself before I write an essay lol. You might hear you need to watch your back on crime and stuff but as long as you're smart and avoid obviously sketchy areas you'll be ok.

Of course, you can't go wrong with Providence, Rochester, or Buffalo (especially with it's proximity to the amazing Niagara Falls).

But I had to shamelessly advertise my favorite city on the planet.

It's been too long since I've seen Rochester and Buffalo to judge them fairly, but I won't lie. Hartford may seem a lil rundown in parts but we've been working on revitalization for a while now. And Hartford is definitely more vibrant in comparison to Providence.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
They all have decent sized italian populations. You can throw a rock in any of those cities and get a good Italian meal. They are all in the same size category. I'd say Providence would have more of a vibrant urban core, though they all have things to do in the city limits. I recommend federal hill in Providence.
I live in Rochester and have worked in all 4 cities but am more familiar with Buff and Roch.
If you are looking for things to photograph, Rochester has high falls which is pretty cool. A waterfall right downtown. There are some cool areas of Mt Hope cemetary.The mansions along East Ave just outside of downtown are pretty cool looking. If you are into photography, you should visit the George Eastman house. The memorial art gallery has a good collection also. There are many festivals going on during the summer months that are worth going to (lilac festival, park ave festival, various ethnic festivals). Local cuisine includes Garbage plates, white hots and chicken french(an Italian dish).
In Buffalo you must go to Duffs or Anchor bar for wings. They have some great parks in the area. Take a stroll in Elmwood village. The Albright-Knox art gallery has a great collection.
Providence is fun but most of the things I've done there aren't too family friendly.
I've worked in Hartford a few times and had some good pizza in the area but never got to explore the downtown outside of working hours. It has a pretty big skyline for the size of the city.
Also, if he brings his family to Rochester, they can check out the Strong Museum of Play and Seabreeze. In between Buffalo and Rochester, there's Darien Lake Amusement Park. Then, they can do the Niagara Falls thing. Try the Maid of the Mist, the Aquarium and if you have a passport, check out the Canadian side too. This information might help as well:
Buffalo Accommodations and Activities for NY Family Vacations and Romantic Niagara Getaways - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau (http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/visitors/ - broken link)

VisitRochester

City of Providence - The Creative Capital (401) 421-7740

Hartford CT | Restaurants, Events, Hotels, Arts & Jobs

Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, if he brings his family to Rochester, they can check out the Strong Museum of Play and Seabreeze. In between Buffalo and Rochester, there's Darien Lake Amusement Park. Then, they can do the Niagara Falls thing. Try the Maid of the Mist, the Aquarium and if you have a passport, check out the Canadian side too. This information might help as well:
Buffalo Accommodations and Activities for NY Family Vacations and Romantic Niagara Getaways - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau (http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/visitors/ - broken link)

VisitRochester

City of Providence - The Creative Capital (401) 421-7740

Hartford CT | Restaurants, Events, Hotels, Arts & Jobs
Now that's an experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City