Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 07:06 PM

43 posts, read 151,707 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Brief history...

25 y/o single male
Job = Physical Therapist
Hobbies: Being outdoors, Sports, Cars
Love to Golf
Love the night life
Will be looking to rent at first
Fresh out of college so not much in the bank for a rainy day

Looking to move to either Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota/Orlando, FL or Austin, TX. Employed as a physical therapist and the job market is pretty good so should not have a problem finding a job wherever I choose. Problem is, can't decide where to call home? Economy is better in TX. Golf is better in FL. Closer to the beaches in FL. No sure about nightlife? Austin is home to the University of Texas = plenty of young people around my age. FL surely has a nice mix of night life. Just interested in what you guys would recommend? I know it's limited info so please ask questions if you think it would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Based on what you've said, Austin hands down. It's a VERY outdoorsy city, hiking, biking (Lance Armstrong lives Austin), canoeing, etc. It's a HUGE sports town. It's a great place for people of your age group, and yes, the night life is FANTASTIC! I have a hard time seeing Tampa or Orlando having a better nightlife then Austin.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Austin.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
TEXAS all the way man!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
More old people who need PT in Florida. BTW its not really fun to hang around college students after youve been out a few years.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM

96 posts, read 245,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
More old people who need PT in Florida. BTW its not really fun to hang around college students after youve been out a few years.
Agreed. At first I would have recommended Texas, because personally I think it's overall the better state, but after looking at your hobbies and your profession I would have to say go with Florida.

Austin has an over-abundance of college grads, who still have no idea on what they want to do in life, as well as a large influx of out-of-staters competing for entry-level retail jobs. There aren't too many offerings in the Physical Therapy field out there. Also, Florida does have the better golf courses.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by determined0331 View Post
Hello all,

Brief history...

25 y/o single male
Job = Physical Therapist
Hobbies: Being outdoors, Sports, Cars
Love to Golf
Love the night life

Will be looking to rent at first
Fresh out of college so not much in the bank for a rainy day

Looking to move to either Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota/Orlando, FL or Austin, TX. Employed as a physical therapist and the job market is pretty good so should not have a problem finding a job wherever I choose. Problem is, can't decide where to call home? Economy is better in TX. Golf is better in FL. Closer to the beaches in FL. No sure about nightlife? Austin is home to the University of Texas = plenty of young people around my age. FL surely has a nice mix of night life. Just interested in what you guys would recommend? I know it's limited info so please ask questions if you think it would help. Thanks.
A lot of things you've said seems to be the Miami department. In fact that was the first city that came to my mind. But I can see you didn't list it as one of your options.

In that case; Austin is the place you want to be at. It's got everything you described minus the beaches.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
A lot of things you've said seems to be the Miami department. In fact that was the first city that came to my mind. But I can see you didn't list it as one of your options.

In that case; Austin is the place you want to be at. It's got everything you described minus the beaches.
The lake is pretty cool.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM

43 posts, read 151,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

Miami just doesn't seem like a practical choice for some reason. I like nightlife but probably not as much as the folks in South Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
Agreed. At first I would have recommended Texas, because personally I think it's overall the better state, but after looking at your hobbies and your profession I would have to say go with Florida.

Austin has an over-abundance of college grads, who still have no idea on what they want to do in life, as well as a large influx of out-of-staters competing for entry-level retail jobs. There aren't too many offerings in the Physical Therapy field out there. Also, Florida does have the better golf courses.
There are actually plenty of PT opportunities in both places. Just ask the million recruiters I get emails from daily lol. FL does have the golf but it seems like Austin is a decent contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Doubt I'll be going to many keggers that is for sure but having young beautiful women all around me in TX doesn't sound half bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
TEXAS all the way man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Austin.
Polo and Metro. Thanks for the input. Curious as to why you chose TX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Based on what you've said, Austin hands down. It's a VERY outdoorsy city, hiking, biking (Lance Armstrong lives Austin), canoeing, etc. It's a HUGE sports town. It's a great place for people of your age group, and yes, the night life is FANTASTIC! I have a hard time seeing Tampa or Orlando having a better nightlife then Austin.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I know Austin has plenty of outdoor activities to offer. Only lacking the beaches. Would be really nice to hike through hill country though.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by determined0331 View Post
Miami just doesn't seem like a practical choice for some reason. I like nightlife but probably not as much as the folks in South Beach.

There are actually plenty of PT opportunities in both places. Just ask the million recruiters I get emails from daily lol. FL does have the golf but it seems like Austin is a decent contender.

Doubt I'll be going to many keggers that is for sure but having young beautiful women all around me in TX doesn't sound half bad!

Polo and Metro. Thanks for the input. Curious as to why you chose TX?

That's kind of what I was thinking. I know Austin has plenty of outdoor activities to offer. Only lacking the beaches. Would be really nice to hike through hill country though.
Unlike all the others my age, I actually adore playing golf, one of my favorite things to do when I'm super stressed. Austin is pretty good when it comes to this. Not the best, but you can find some great places here to play Golf.

Austin doesn't have any beaches, but Lake Travis is more than entertaining, a lot of fun activities go on around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City