Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Southern Tiers;

Washington DC automatically in a class by itself (If it's included as southern)

Tier 1:
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Miami
(No particular order)

Tier 2A:
Nashville
New Orleans
Austin
Orlando

Tier 2B: (It is nothing less than 2A, just a different sort-These are also noticeably small cities)
Savannah
Charleston

Tier 3:
Jacksonville
San Antonio
Fort Worth
Tampa
Charlotte
Louisville
Memphis

Tier 4:
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Knoxville
Raleigh
Fort Lauderdale

Tier 5:
Mobile
Corpus Christi
Birmingham
Little Rock

El Paso is omitted from the list because it is not southern, it is southwestern/western.
This is darn close IMO.

I would make a few small amendments:

I would put Louisville and Jacksonville in Tier 4, moving OK City/Tulsa into Tier 3. Also, I would would move Charleston into Tier 2 under Orlando and move Savannah into Tier 5.

Overall you did a great job IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What is your tier 2b reasoning especially over Charlotte, San Antonio, and Tampa?
Historic tourism and significance to colonization. Lol.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
HMM...exactly!
Oh gosh! I just looked at my post, I must have made it right after commenting on the "Live Music Capital cities" thread, which is why I placed Austin, Nashville, and New Orleans together. Charlotte should be in tier 2A as well, and Tampa too.

Lol, it was a basic mistake of mine.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:54 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
If there's going to be a sub tier 1A, it would have to include Charlotte and Austin, in that order followed by the next cities. Charlotte is just too much of an economic engine in the region to have it behind Nashville or NOLA. It has the 21st largest GAP in the nation, compared to Nashville(38), NOLA(41), but Austin's is 37th, so you could put it behind these 2 cities for other reasons.

Putting Nashville/NOLA over Charlotte would be like putting Miami over Houston. Also San Antonio should be much higher, it has the 36th largest GAP, ahead of Nashville, NOLA, Austin, etc.

Of course, if this wasn't in any order, then never mind my comments, except about including Charlotte in tier 1-A.
I first want to say that I am indeed a Charlotte booster. Now that my bias is out there I do agree with this statement based on facts. Charlotte is indeed an economic engine in the South. In the Southeast it is arguably the number 2 city (Houston is Deep South Gulf Coast, DFW is Southcentral, Miami is in a league of south of South and al eague on its own, these are not necessarily Southeastern). It's MSA population is 35th I believe, but its MSA GDP is 21st. I think those facts alone are astounding. Today, we just opened up our NASCAR HOF so our tourism and convention industry is starting to pick up.

If you base your tier on something else other than population and GDP it gets a little bit more hard to separate the tiers. Cultural facilities and all that jazz is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Southern Tiers;

Washington DC automatically in a class by itself (If it's included as southern)

Tier 1:
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Miami
(No particular order)

Tier 2A:
Nashville
New Orleans
Austin
Orlando

Tier 2B: (It is nothing less than 2A, just a different sort-These are also noticeably small cities)
Savannah
Charleston

Tier 3:
Jacksonville
San Antonio
Fort Worth
Tampa
Charlotte
Louisville
Memphis

Tier 4:
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Knoxville
Raleigh
Fort Lauderdale

Tier 5:
Mobile
Corpus Christi
Birmingham
Little Rock

El Paso is omitted from the list because it is not southern, it is southwestern/western.
You know you my cousin and normally I agree with you. But I have some issues with your list. How is Charlotte ranked behind Nashville, New Orleans, and Austin? Especially considering that its GDP is behind them and is continuing to outgrow them. You've seen me post this data before. Same thing with Raleigh. Charlotte should move up, and so should Raleigh. Not to mention, if you were to combine Raleigh and Durham back into one MSA, which they really are, its GDP would only be behind all of the tier 1 cities and Charlotte. It's GDP is around $85 billion. Go RTP!

You could also add New Orleans with Savannah and Charleston. Truly unique and wonderful Southern cities.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
You know you my cousin and normally I agree with you. But I have some issues with your list. How is Charlotte ranked behind Nashville, New Orleans, and Austin? Especially considering that its GDP is behind them and is continuing to outgrow them. You've seen me post this data before. Same thing with Raleigh. Charlotte should move up, and so should Raleigh. Not to mention, if you were to combine Raleigh and Durham back into one MSA, which they really are, its GDP would only be behind all of the tier 1 cities and Charlotte. It's GDP is around $85 billion. Go RTP!

You could also add New Orleans with Savannah and Charleston. Truly unique and wonderful Southern cities.
LOL! I addressed this issue myself just yesterday I believe!

Quote:
Oh gosh! I just looked at my post, I must have made it right after commenting on the "Live Music Capital cities" thread, which is why I placed Austin, Nashville, and New Orleans together. Charlotte should be in tier 2A as well, and Tampa too.

Lol, it was a basic mistake of mine.
^^ Made a common mistake lol. I didn't even realize it until after I posted it. Then it hit me and I was like "Oh goshhhh wrong thread!!!" I thought this was the thread for "Live Music Capitals" and I got confused because it was really late/or I was tired and haha, this big blunder ended up occurring.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
LOL! I addressed this issue myself just yesterday I believe!

^^ Made a common mistake lol. I didn't even realize it until after I posted it. Then it hit me and I was like "Oh goshhhh wrong thread!!!" I thought this was the thread for "Live Music Capitals" and I got confused because it was really late/or I was tired and haha, this big blunder ended up occurring.
I got you cuzzo. We cool. But did you notice what I said about Raleigh-Durham? Overall, your list was good. Now concerning live music, you would be right, but we're getting better here in the Queen City.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I got you cuzzo. We cool. But did you notice what I said about Raleigh-Durham? Overall, your list was good. Now concerning live music, you would be right, but we're getting better here in the Queen City.
Yeah I remember what you said about Raleigh!
Research Triangle is giving cities 20X larger than itself a lot of trouble these days!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
I first want to say that I am indeed a Charlotte booster. Now that my bias is out there I do agree with this statement based on facts. Charlotte is indeed an economic engine in the South. In the Southeast it is arguably the number 2 city (Houston is Deep South Gulf Coast, DFW is Southcentral, Miami is in a league of south of South and al eague on its own, these are not necessarily Southeastern). It's MSA population is 35th I believe, but its MSA GDP is 21st. I think those facts alone are astounding. Today, we just opened up our NASCAR HOF so our tourism and convention industry is starting to pick up.

If you base your tier on something else other than population and GDP it gets a little bit more hard to separate the tiers. Cultural facilities and all that jazz is in the eye of the beholder.
Yep, today was the grand opening of the NASCAR HOF. I heard it on the radio listening to Frank and Buck. Charlotte is coming up.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yep, today was the grand opening of the NASCAR HOF. I heard it on the radio listening to Frank and Buck. Charlotte is coming up.
Yeah, I hear it was nice. There is also an article in the Charlotte forum that discusses how Charlotte has the highest percentage of people moving in versus people moving out. We definitely coming up. We gonna take over Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta one day. LOL! (and then sets in reality.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City