U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,159 times

Advertisements

Which city is better?
Rate this post positively

Old 05-09-2010, 03:44 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,920,120 times
Well, San Diego has better weather and the ocean, of course. My brother lived in Downtown San Diego in the Gaslight District and also in La Jolla. He loved both and thought San Diego to be a great city. The cost of living was high. Yet, as much as he loved it he still moved back to Pittsburgh because, it "was no Pittsburgh' to use his words. To someone who has lived in an established city in the northeast and moves away while in your thirties, it is hard to get used to that lifestyle on the west coast unless you have very deep pockets so you can enjoy yachting to Hawaii or hob nobbing with the jet set. I guess having money can make anyplace more enjoyable, but the average joe can enjoy Pittsburgh more than in other places. If someone is still fairly young, say in their mid twenties or younger, I say "Go West young man" (or woman) See what is out there. You can always come home again.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 PM

21 posts, read 71,978 times
Well in my opinion I can say that I like Pittsburgh better mainly because I actually like having all four seasons. There's something about being nice and warm on the inside while its blustering cold on the outside. And the cost of living in Pittsburgh is much better.

So yeah Pittsburgh for me.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:48 PM

16,255 posts, read 40,179,262 times
Obviously San Diego.

But you pay for San Diego...enormously.

I tried to make a go of California...San Francisco first, and finished it off with San Diego. Quality of life goes way way way down when most of your income goes to rent and gas. Achieving home ownership is equally unrealistic for most people as well.

It really comes down to your priorities. If you want to have a family and buy a house, and have some spending money or money for emergencies...than a city like Pittsburgh makes a lot of sense.

If you are a recent college graduate...with little interest in home ownership for quite awhile...and don't mind roommate situations...hey, it's just an extension of college, right? Then San Diego makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 PM

13,775 posts, read 20,645,229 times
Honestly, I thought San Diego was kind of overrated. It felt cut off from the rest of California, and it didn't give me a good vibe the way Los Angeles did. (If I had to move to California, I'd live in Los Angeles.) Sure, the weather is nice in San Diego, But I just didn't see what was so special about the place. (On that note, what makes Pittsburgh special is more nuanced.)

Old 05-09-2010, 10:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 31,151,468 times
I've liked San Diego the couple times I visited. The climate isn't to my tastes and the housing is very expensive, but I could see why others would aspire to live there.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,940,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Honestly, I thought San Diego was kind of overrated. It felt cut off from the rest of California, and it didn't give me a good vibe the way Los Angeles did. (If I had to move to California, I'd live in Los Angeles.) Sure, the weather is nice in San Diego, But I just didn't see what was so special about the place. (On that note, what makes Pittsburgh special is more nuanced.)
Funny, I had the exact opposite experience. My sister has lived in SD for 25 years or so, so I visit once in a while, and I always enjoy it. I lived a couple years in Orange County right out of high school. OC/LA has more culture, for sure, but also is just completely overwhelming. I always thought that if I wanted to live the SoCal life style (which I don't!), I would chose SD over LA. As for SoCal weather, I HATED it. So sunny, hot, and monotonous. TOTAL barforama...Like, gag me with a spoon dude!

That everpresent malevolent orb in the sky would apparently NOT be a problem in the Burgh! In any case, give me a midlatitude seasonal city with hills and woods and rain and snow and charm any day. And of course a sister who lives in SD so I can crash on the sofa and live the Babewatch Dream every year or so.

Yea, right.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 PM

14,925 posts, read 23,957,647 times
Hmmmmmm, San Diego or Pittsburg.

I think the question is -- which Pittsburg?

Pittsburg, California? Pittsburg, Kansas? Pittsburg, Texas? Pittsburg, Kentucky? Anyone else come up with anymore?

Because if you can't spell Pittsburgh -- you can't ask the question, troll....

Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 AM

10,171 posts, read 14,591,999 times
It bothers me that Pittsburgh is spelled wrong in the title.

Anyways, I would have to go with San Deigo, as much as I love Pittsburgh, it's just not at San Deigo's level yet.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 AM

118 posts, read 126,951 times
Pittsburgh surprised me when I visited (to see a friend). As a city I like it a lot more than San Diego but it is smaller and doesn't have the advantage of being on the California coast.... It's a hard one but pound for pound and bang for your buck (not including natural scenery and weather) I'd go with Pittsburgh hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>