Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 AM

153 posts, read 381,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermolas View Post
san francisco is probably the most beautiful city in the us
+1. Although globally, I'm intending to visit Switzerland. Heard Zurich and Geneva were fanatastic (best quality of life in the world?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:35 AM

289 posts, read 1,025,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
+1. Although globally, I'm intending to visit Switzerland. Heard Zurich and Geneva were fanatastic (best quality of life in the world?)
Oh, yes I've been to Zurich its beautiful and the quality of life is the best in the world but I would never consider living there. Nothing really happens.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
I've been to Zurich. So far, it's the only European city I've been disappointed with. Maybe because everything was so outrageously expensive.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 AM

I wasnt Dissapointed with is, its very beautiful on the lake and all but it is expensive and too perfect.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I tend to prefer cities with a lot of culture and history. Just being "scenic" with little else to offer doesn't seem to do much for me. I don't get what the big deal with that is. I'd rather the city just get out of the way, become a small town, or not be there at that point.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I've been to Zurich. So far, it's the only European city I've been disappointed with. Maybe because everything was so outrageously expensive.
It is very expensive, but it is still a very nice city. Great transport, clean, compact, attractive in a "perfect" type of sense. With that being said I never felt a connection to it at all as a city, there is no wow factor to it at all.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
I haven't traveled much, but I have explored in depth most of the areas I've traveled to.

non-urban

farms of Salem, Sussex, and Cumberland Counties. The farms out in Salem remind me of the mid-west with the vast expanses of flat farm land, silos, and bright red farms. The farms here in Cumberland remind me of Europe with the all of the hedge rows that surround many of the farms in East Vineland. Sussex County=Norman Rockwell painting + ghost stories. I also LOVE driving though the marshes in Southern Cumberland county, and small towns such as Vincentown in Burlington County (again, Norman Rockewellian)

Other's include the Delaware Water Gap, the Blue Ridge Mountains (the first time I ever saw a mountain), and almost all of the Pine Barrens

urban
Alexandria VA is one of my favorite cities and was amazingly walkable
Old City Philly
The view of Newark, NJ from my studio (especially at night). It looks like this great small city in some other country with it's art-deco sky scrapers dominating the skyline. I almost feel that if I were to go there I would find a thriving nightlife just below some of them, but won't because I know it's not there and don't want to get mugged.
the view of Philly from Camden (I've grown to feel that the NYC skyline is over rated, it's too busy)
the view of NYC from Eagle Rock in Verona (think that classic mountain view that teenagers go to, to do you know what in the back seat of their cars)

sub-urban
Highlands, NJ. Full of great beautiful homes, mountain side views, the twin-lights of Navasink, and great views of the ocean.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
South Florida -> Flat, Palm Trees, Green, Water, Swamp
South Louisiana/Southeas Texas -> Flat, Palm Trees, Live Oaks, Green, Water, Swamp, Oil Refineries
South California -> Extreme elevation changes, Palm trees, Unique flora, Water

Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM

Antelope Canyon in Arizona is one of the most beautiful places I've been to.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM

153 posts, read 381,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post
Oh, yes I've been to Zurich its beautiful and the quality of life is the best in the world but I would never consider living there. Nothing really happens.
"Most Beautiful city/region you've been to?" is the thread's name, not most beautiful city you wished you lived in. A trip to Zurich would probably just be some R&R for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City