Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 PM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Same can be said for St. Louis, but most people don't consider it Southern. Just because the South it nearby doesn't mean it's Southern.
The Ozarks cultural elements lean more Southern than Midwestern. Rural areas of southern and south-central MO strongly resemble rural areas of KY, TN, and VA. Many of the roads are called hollows as well which is quite common in the Mountain South. If you look at the quickfacts census website most of those counties have double the amount of poverty compared to a Midwest core state like Iowa along with far worse educational attainment levels as well. Mobility in terms of in and out migration tends to be much slower in MO compared to the solid Midwest states as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Ozarks cultural elements lean more Southern than Midwestern. Rural areas of southern and south-central MO strongly resemble rural areas of KY, TN, and VA. Many of the roads are called hollows as well which is quite common in the Mountain South. If you look at the quickfacts census website most of those counties have double the amount of poverty compared to a Midwest core state like Iowa along with far worse educational attainment levels as well. Mobility in terms of in and out migration tends to be much slower in MO compared to the solid Midwest states as well.
Yea but what does rural southern MO have to do with Kansas City and St. Louis? Two totally different worlds.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 6,952 times
Pittsburgh did not seem like the Midwest to me at all. I visited earlier this month for about 2 weeks and got a good feel for the city. It was a dense, diverse and vibrant place. The only "Midwest" vibe I got was from how generally friendly/chatty the locals were. Much more urbane and real "big city" than say, Omaha or Indianapolis. From working in both, I'd say those places are so much more white washed, conservative and bland.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterA View Post
Pittsburgh did not seem like the Midwest to me at all. I visited earlier this month for about 2 weeks and got a good feel for the city. It was a dense, diverse and vibrant place. The only "Midwest" vibe I got was from how generally friendly/chatty the locals were. Much more urbane and real "big city" than say, Omaha or Indianapolis. From working in both, I'd say those places are so much more white washed, conservative and bland.
What of Chicago? It has similar qualities as to the things you described for Pittsburgh.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,952 times
got me there. Wouldn't you say Chicago is the exception rather than the rule in the Midwest?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterA View Post
got me there. Wouldn't you say Chicago is the exception rather than the rule in the Midwest?
Yeah, Chicago is so different from other Midwestern cities. Milwaukee feels so different and it's only a few hours away. I think it's the benefit of Chicago being such a large cosmopolitan city.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 PM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Yea but what does rural southern MO have to do with Kansas City and St. Louis? Two totally different worlds.
The larger cities in MO are more Midwestern overall (STL, KC, Columbia) while the rural areas are more Southern- particularly starting a few tiers of counties south of I-70. Much of MO north of I-70 is fairly Midwestern with some Southern influences.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Being a NYer that has lived in both Pittsburgh and the Midwest (St. Louis): PIttsburgh is an (Appalachian) Northeastern City. There is nothing midwestern about it.

KC is midwestern.

Don't know enough about Louisville to comment

Old 05-15-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
True.

I never thought any of Pennsylvania was in the Midwest. To me, the Midwest starts almost immediately over the Ohio border.

But I think there are some midwestern elements in the area, but not enough to make it a Midwestern city. It's more of a northeastern city set in the Allegheny Plateau (a part of the Appalachians...just thought I would call it the precise term..lol).
Not true. I would consider NY state cities such as Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse as more midwestern than east coast

Old 05-15-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The larger cities in MO are more Midwestern overall (STL, KC, Columbia) while the rural areas are more Southern- particularly starting a few tiers of counties south of I-70. Much of MO north of I-70 is fairly Midwestern with some Southern influences.
Only 15 miles outside of St. Louis I-70 turns into redneck land real fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City