Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:24 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Only 15 miles outside of St. Louis I-70 turns into redneck land real fast.
yeah Midwestern redneck, but not really Southern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 12:53 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Only 15 miles outside of St. Louis I-70 turns into redneck land real fast.
Actually, from what I remember, there's plenty of development for a good 40 miles or so west on I-70 from downtown St. Louis. Basically, it's built up all the way out to Wentzville. Beyond Wentzville is where it gets more rural.

As for the degrees of Southernness in Missouri, Kansas City, St. Louis, and areas north of I-70 don't feel Southern at all to me. I've never been to southeastern Missouri, but I didn't get even a remotely Southern vibe until I went south of Bagnell Dam -- and even then, it's just a little bit. I imagine the real "Southern" parts of Missouri are south of roughly a Cape Girardeau-to-Joplin line.

I've noticed that a lot of people have an inflated sense of what the South's territory is. For example, I've seen Baltimore, Cincinnati and St. Louis (and now Kansas City) described as cities with Southern flavor, which isn't true at all, as far as I'm concerned. You want an idea of what the South's territory is? Draw a line from Beaumont, TX to Paris, TX to Muskogee, OK to Joplin, MO to Cairo, IL to Louisville, KY to Lexington, KY to Charleston, WV to Charlottesville, VA to Salisbury, MD. Everything south and east of that line is the South.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,448 times
Quote:
Not true. I would consider NY state cities such as Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse as more midwestern than east coast
They do have that Chicago-sounding/upper midwestern accent in those areas. Good point.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Pittsburgh = Northeastern
Louisville = Southern
Kansas City = Southern, with a little Midwest influence
Southern? You gotta be joking...

KC is midwest...

Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Yea but what does rural southern MO have to do with Kansas City and St. Louis? Two totally different worlds.

THIS...

KC and STL are both solid midwest cities.... far from being southern

Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

I've noticed that a lot of people have an inflated sense of what the South's territory is. For example, I've seen Baltimore, Cincinnati and St. Louis (and now Kansas City) described as cities with Southern flavor, which isn't true at all, as far as I'm concerned. You want an idea of what the South's territory is? Draw a line from Beaumont, TX to Paris, TX to Muskogee, OK to Joplin, MO to Cairo, IL to Louisville, KY to Lexington, KY to Charleston, WV to Charlottesville, VA to Salisbury, MD. Everything south and east of that line is the South.
why split the bluegrass region in half? cynthiana is not a different cultural region from richmond and is certainly southern culturally. id say go louisville to owenton and then on to charleston wv. although if one is going to including joplin and cairo i think youve got to include maysville ky as well

but i agree with it for the most part and only disagree with it by about 40 or 50 miles in the bluegrass region but the rest is right, assuming you are describing the south-east. when talking about the south as a cultural region its usually good to include the western/plains south as well, the area west of what youve described in TX and OK, ending near new mexico. its southern culturally but not climactically or in appearance.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
THIS...

KC and STL are both solid midwest cities.... far from being southern
Not northern at all compared to the Upper Midwest.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
There is NOTHING southern about KC GraniteStater. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I would say places like StLouis and Baltimore have more "southern" influence than KC and I would hardly call those towns southern.

I think all of these cities are midwestern.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 AM

404 posts, read 595,801 times
If KC is Southern, then why is it classified as the North Central region? Please direct me to what you are smoking saying it's southern.....please.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 PM

75 posts, read 172,271 times
Beleive it or not I've spent a great deal of time in all 3 cities, so I feel qualified to judge.

Louisville- 60% midwestern, 40% southern.

Kansas City- 80% midwestern, 20% Ozarkian.

Pittsburgh- 100% Yinzer (come on man. pittsburgh's claim to fame, is it's an island of culture unto
its own.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City