Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Florida: Atlantic or Gulf Coast?
Atlantic Coast 2 50.00%
Gulf Coast 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:09 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,726,495 times

Advertisements

If chosing one would you consider Florida an Atlantic Coast or Gulf Coast State?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,156,175 times
Atlantic Coast, Southeast Florida...love it there.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,956,487 times
This is a tough one.

Miami sits in the center of the divide for both, but their main shipping/exporting goes to countries in the Gulf Coast/Caribbean, thus furthering it's culture tighter with the Gulf over the Atlantic. I would say, Miami is one very special city because of this particular scenario, well I just saw your post from the other thread, Miami is Atlantic, but it operates a lot in the Gulf.

Cities like Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale are Atlantic, and Jacksonville handles large shipments for the Atlantic coast.

Then again there's always Tampa another large port on the Gulf region. Plus Miami's cruise line is one of the largest in the world, and most of it's destinations are Caribbean/Gulf Countries and Cancun, Mexico.

Plus there's the Hurricane season which gets large viewers and the focus is mostly in the Gulf region over the Atlantic. Not saying it doesn't happen there, but not as often.

It's more on the Atlantic and if officially on the Atlantic side, but I can see it operating extensively on the Gulf side as well, I mean Miami-Dade county of course.

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-15-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 01:27 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,035,136 times
Its on both. Larger percentage of the population lives on the Atlantic side mostly because of I-95 and U.S. 1 but the actual coastline is much greater on the Gulf side. To consider it only one is silly. But if you were to consider it just one I'd have to go by coastline which makes it gulf.

But I'm refraining from voting.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
This is a tough one.

Miami sits in the center of the divide for both, but their main shipping/exporting goes to countries in the Gulf Coast/Caribbean, thus furthering it's culture tighter with the Gulf over the Atlantic. I would say, Miami is one very special city because of this particular scenario, well I just saw your post from the other thread, Miami is Atlantic, but it operates a lot in the Gulf.

Cities like Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale are Atlantic, and Jacksonville handles large shipments for the Atlantic coast.

Then again there's always Tampa another large port on the Gulf region. Plus Miami's cruise line is one of the largest in the world, and most of it's destinations are Caribbean/Gulf Countries and Cancun, Mexico.

Plus there's the Hurricane season which gets large viewers and the focus is mostly in the Gulf region over the Atlantic. Not saying it doesn't happen there, but not as often.

It's more on the Atlantic and if officially on the Atlantic side, but I can see it operating extensively on the Gulf side as well, I mean Miami-Dade county of course.

That is false the Atlantic Coast of Florida and the US gets hit more frequently than the Gulf

Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,796,221 times
It's both, but I typically think of it as an Atlantic coast city. Not too long ago, I read something that mentioned Tampa as a Gulf coast city, and I was struck by that. I mean I know it's true, but I guess I never really classified it like that--among the likes of Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans, and Galveston (and by extension, Houston).

Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,918,059 times
The Atlantic side has Florida's best city (Miami), but the Gulf has the prettier coast by far...this won't last for long unfortunately...

http://www.pensacolarealestatenews.c...-resize400.jpg

http://www.destin-florida-mls.com/images/destin12.jpg

Old 05-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The Atlantic side has Florida's best city (Miami), but the Gulf is the better ocean by far...for now unfortunately...

Technically it is not an ocean

but either way get your point - but personally I prefer the larger waves of the Atlantic; though not quite as warm (but hey I am used to the Jersey Shore so ocean temp is relative)

and more importantly i hope they get that rig closed off - the gulf is too precious to allow this contamination to continue

Old 05-15-2010, 09:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,785,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
If chosing one would you consider Florida an Atlantic Coast or Gulf Coast State?
If choosing one for what? This is far too vague.

Please brush up on the posting guidelines for the room, folks. We need some specifics if you want to do a this-vs-that topic. Thank you

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City