Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 PM

31 posts, read 28,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
That's just plain silly. You don't know me at all. As I stated before, NYC doesn't enter my thought process unless I'm reading about it on this forum. Do you sit around thinking about cities you don't live in?
I guess you don't read or watch television if New York City never enters your thought process.

Living in Podunk, surely you must be bombarded by images of NY daily via the media. Right?

If you answered "no" you need to stop lying to yourself.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
That's just plain silly. You don't know me at all. As I stated before, NYC doesn't enter my thought process unless I'm reading about it on this forum. Do you sit around thinking about cities you don't live in?
I don't know if your jealous but I see you as Anti-NY most of the time.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:04 PM

31 posts, read 28,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I'm almost certain he's jealous.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:18 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Anti-NY? Really? Or just sticking up for another city that's getting bashed. Show me anti-NY comments.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 PM

[quote=RR85;14205703]I'm almost certain he's jealous.[/quote

Your assumption that I'm a he is wrong. The assumption that I'm jealous is wrong. That there are people assuming I'm jealous says something - not about me, but about them. You know what assuming does.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Most people in NYC don't live in Manhattan, and most citizens aren't investment bankers, models, celebrities or CEOs. Many, many more people live in a combination of the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and Brooklyn than live in Manhattan. You don't hear about these people when New Yorkers are talking about their city. NYC is made up of people from all walks of life. Why don't New York boosters talk about the Bronx, etc?
well as far as the bronx is concerned. Being a resident myself im proud that it

1. Host americas most successful most internationally recognized sports team. With one of the most recognized logos-the new york yankees

2. The biggest metropolitan zoo in the united states-Bronx Zoo

3. Birthplace of hip hop and latin cultures. Which have had an enormous impact on global "pop" culture

5. Natives to be proud of Sonya sotomayor,colin powell,ralph lauren etc

And much more.

Add that too the other three staten,brooklyn and queens. And you get an impressive list of things outside manhattan

One does not truly understand the new york city greatness as a whole till they combine manhattans greatness with the quirks of the other four boroughs. New york city when viewd as a whole, not just manhattan, is potent

Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Anti-NY? Really? Or just sticking up for another city that's getting bashed. Show me anti-NY comments.
You and I have been on this forum for long enough to know the other posters by now.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
You and I have been on this forum for long enough to know the other posters by now.
I've never bashed a city. Never. I've said some things that I feel are true (high prices, etc.), but I've never bashed.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Everyone here needs to relax. We're stirring off topic here.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
I am very proud of NYC. It has SO MUCH history, and it's regions have housed changing groups of people over time (as Harlem did), and it manages a dense population and offers endless culture. It's a "tall city" built by those brave souls who had no fear of heights (I've seen some awesome early photos of NYC skyscaper workers, which is why I thought of this).

It is also a city not afraid to hire leaders who make changes when it may not make them popular. Crime dropped almost dramatically in the last 15 years or so due to a few Mayors that had balls. Quite frankly, I cannot imagine this occurring anywhere in California ~ they have escalated "political correctness" into a mental illness.

I spent 10 days in Manhattan two years ago and, yes, it's very crowded. And it certainly isn't for everybody (I, personally, wouldn't want to live there). But the city has such energy that I almost felt like I was in a vortex. People are "alive". They move fast. Time isn't wasted.

And I hate to be the breaker to their reputation, but I didn't find New Yorkers rude at all. They're not sugar-coaters by any means ~ they get to the point. But I found them charming in their own ways and very helpful whenever I've asked for it.

I do not know why there should be "jealousy", other than the fact the NYC takes excellent care in governing its city. They're a hardy lot, and quite frankly I don't think any of them really give a hoot how others view them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City