Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times

Advertisements

I personally love things about New York City. I was born and raised in New York.

However, one thing I truly dont like about New York is some of the snobby, arrogant, condescending urban attitudes someone can find there. The kind of attitude where people put down other places that may not be like New York and think other places cant also offer lots of excitement, culture, and stimulation like New York City. To see some people have that kind of attitude truly hurts in so many ways. There are plenty of people who dont have attitudes like that about New York while loving New York, but there seems to be too many people who live and/or visited there that sort of have this nasty attitude/perception about places in general.

Personally, I notice many great places in America that offer great things, even if it may be expressed a little bit differently from New York, but still can offer some of the same things as New York in some ways. I have lived in Seattle for the past 3 months and love Seattle equally as New York.

Im so glad I was able to live someplace else than New York and to travel to many places outside New York and think there are lots of great places out there in America and the world. Pretty much every place has its pros and cons and New York even has some cons itself.

After college, and for the rest of my life, I might move back to New York City, but might also stay in Seattle, or go to San Francisco.

Last edited by ; 05-16-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR85 View Post
Hint: Because all the action happens in Manhattan. It is the center point for the entire metro and the city revolves around Manhattan (as lovely as many neighborhoods in the outer boroughs are).

Furthermore, do LA boosters talk about East LA? Why don't Chicago boosters talk about the Southside? Why don't SF boosters ever boost the EastBay? Do Miami boosters boost Liberty City? Why do Houston boosters ignore East Houston?

Also, nobody has mentioned CEOs, models, or celebrities. Ever. Part of what makes New York great is its huge diversity (which is promoted to death on this forum). If you've never heard a New Yorker hailing the city's diversity, you must be clueless.

I think you're just jealous

Did you really just use the east bay as an example? all parts of the bay are completely independent from each other... San Francisco might be the most iconic city but if you live in the south bay or the east bay, SF isn't the be all end all... each part of the bay has its own major hub (Oakland & Berkeley in the east bay and San Jose & Palo Alto in the south bay). I'm in the east bay and I haven't been in SF since last year. Have no reason to go there.

IDK if you were trying to say that the other boroughs are like that but somehow I don't think you were...

Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
Well executed city, not a fan of the people I've met from there.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
Definetly proud to have what is considered by many the best city on Earth in the Country I reside, the USA. But definetly not envious, many places I would live before NYC. I'd love to visit though.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 PM

31 posts, read 28,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Did you really just use the east bay as an example? all parts of the bay are completely independent from each other... San Francisco might be the most iconic city but if you live in the south bay or the east bay, SF isn't the be all end all... each part of the bay has its own major hub (Oakland & Berkeley in the east bay and San Jose & Palo Alto in the south bay). I'm in the east bay and I haven't been in SF since last year. Have no reason to go there.

IDK if you were trying to say that the other boroughs are like that but somehow I don't think you were...
According to the Bay Area boosters on city data, city lines are meaninglessness. You must be new.

If being associated with SF offends you that much, replace the Eastbay with Tenderloin, Hunters Point, SOMA, Excelsior, etc.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
I think most Americans are proud of NYC, but they would not want to live there, just visit

Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You don't hear about these people when New Yorkers are talking about their city. NYC is made up of people from all walks of life. Why don't New York boosters talk about the Bronx, etc?
thats not true at all. i talk about queens to others on here all of the time. i also mention bk and the bronx.

queens has a lot to offer and so do the other boroughs.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Neither

Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR85 View Post
According to the Bay Area boosters on city data, city lines are meaninglessness. You must be new.

If being associated with SF offends you that much, replace the Eastbay with Tenderloin, Hunters Point, SOMA, Excelsior, etc.

No, it's the fact that you equated the east bay to being the economically depressed no man's land of the SF bay area when that's FAR from the truth. Most of the $$$ in the bay area isn't even in SF... that honor would go to Silicon Valley in the south.

However, if you're talking about the bay area, Then SF would be the heart of the bay and city lines wouldn't matter. you, however, said San Francisco, not the bay area. And even if you said the bay area, the east bay still wouldn't function as the Hunter's Point of the bay area. I guess the bay area boosters you're talking about also tell you that Oakland is one giant ghetto and everything south of Oakland/north of Berkeley is the sticks

Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
I think the problem is NY is talked about so much, people just get tired of hearing about, especially on this site. Another issue is too many people making NY out to be too many things: The Best this, the tallest this, the densest that, the most that, is it any possible that there is a city better than NY at something? Also, people on this site pretty much despise LA and cities in the south because there not "Dense" enough or public transportation isnt 24hrs. So if your city isnt crowded, and you cant take a train everywhere, your city is pathetic.... it becomes redundant after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City