Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unique?
New Orleans 32 65.31%
Miami 17 34.69%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMO the latin american influence isn't that unique given other areas of the country that have a similar vibe...but the creole influence of n.o. is really unique considering only the surrounding areas are like that.

the whole creole culture is definitely rare.

*edit*
oh yeah, we're talking about just the south.

yeah...its probably a tie then.

I voted for New Orleans for about the same reasons. While you have some commonalities with a few other Southern cities---Mobile celebrates Mardi Gras and has some of the same French heritage for example---nowhere else in the country do you have the unique Creole culture of New Orleans. And the music (jazz, brass band funk, etc) and the food(gumbo, po'boys, etoufee, etc) that originated in New Orleans give it pretty idiosyncratic melting pot feel from the rest of the South--along with some of the architecture.

Miami on the other hand is very unique in that it's the most Latin/Caribbean city in the country. The Cuban dominance of politics is definitely different and the whole feel of walking in downtown and hearing the majority of people speaking Spanish. But much of Miami feels like other Florida cities, just in a much more interesting location. It's a world a way from the rest of the South---but New Orleans strikes me as more of an one-of-a-kind city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Tough one here but I give the edge to NOLA - I think there may be no place like it in the world. Although Miami definately is unique, just not quite to the same extent as NOLA

Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Miami all the way. There is no other place like it and it goes beyond the language, its the entire Miami lifestyle. I've been to other places with heavy latin influence but they are nothing at all like Miami. Its why I would compare Orlando to Los Angeles before Miami to either of them. Miami is just a vastly different lifestyle with the strong family ties, Catholic dominance, street vendors and Cafe Cubano, Flan, and Dulce Con Leche.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Miami all the way. There is no other place like it and it goes beyond the language, its the entire Miami lifestyle. I've been to other places with heavy latin influence but they are nothing at all like Miami. Its why I would compare Orlando to Los Angeles before Miami to either of them. Miami is just a vastly different lifestyle with the strong family ties, Catholic dominance, street vendors and Cafe Cubano, Flan, and Dulce Con Leche.
Three of those things you listed are easily found in San Antonio.

NO by a long shot.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

I've been to San Antonio the lifestyle is not the same even if they have some of the same stuff. My vote goes to Miami. Its a pretty opinionated topic and this is my opinion.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Miami is like a mix of every Latin American country being represented on a large scale all into one city.

I don't think there can ever be another American city like that. Then again, New Orleans cannot be replicated either.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Not only is NOLA the most unique city in the South, but it's also the most unique city in the US given its history and distinct local culture. Miami, on the other hand, is notable for the drastic demographic shift that has occurred there over the last thirty years.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM

Hialeah Race Track
Cuban Refugees
Scarface
Cuban Missile Crisis
Hurricane Andrew
Haitian Refugees
Art Deco movement

You guys act like Miami doesn't have history, its not civil war history but it certainly has a pretty rich history of its own not that different from New Orleans.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
This was a tough one, but I would have to go with Miami cause the NO did play a role in southern history and it's architecture is similar to Savannah.

I still fill like they are very similar though. It's like the NO is unique for the old south and Miami is unique for the new south.

So they are both really unique.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
NOLA, hands down. No other city in the world like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City