Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:33 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I agree with him on that too, if it just me or are Chicago drivers very aggressive for no reason?
I think that Chicago has aggressive drivers because there are fewer expressways that serve the city than LA has, and people become frustrated. In LA, if you are coming from Orange County and one expressway is congested, such as the Riverside Fwy, than you can switch to another that might be less congested, such as the Santa Ana, or take routes such as Imperial Hwy into the city. You can't do that in Chicago. Chicago roads and expressways, particularly the Eisenhower and Kennedy, are heart wrenching.

But the worst traffic I can ever remember was in NYC, where 6 lanes in the city merge into 2 in order to get through tunnels to and from NJ. Holy cow, how do people do this daily if they do it at all? I remember chaos on the Manhattan side, and then peace and tranquility when we finally reached Hoboken. Just brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 08:25 AM

796 posts, read 930,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That sounds like DC, the only difference is had 6-point intersections.
UGH, I have only been to DC once, but I HATED using those 6 point intersections as a driver while there.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:49 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
But the worst traffic I can ever remember was in NYC, where 6 lanes in the city merge into 2 in order to get through tunnels to and from NJ. Holy cow, how do people do this daily if they do it at all? I remember chaos on the Manhattan side, and then peace and tranquility when we finally reached Hoboken. Just brutal.
Since Manhattan is an island there are only so many ways in/out by car, which creates a bottleneck effect. A large majority of Manhattan commuters don't do this everyday though because there is a really simple way to avoid this: just take the subway. Or PATH (NJ subway), LIRR, MetroNorth, or New Jersey Transit.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:51 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
UGH, I have only been to DC once, but I HATED using those 6 point intersections as a driver while there.
D.C. And Richmond Virginia traffic is really brutal too. I took a few road trips with some people down South before and they always plan to leave at a specific time to avoid DC rush hour

Old 06-14-2017, 10:45 PM

73 posts, read 93,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Been to both. Lived in nyc and nyc hands down. You can go downtown l.a 1am and cruise. Cant say the same about Manhattan where i was stuck in traffic 2am
Haha, its empty in Downtown LA. In NY, people are all around, keeping you away from loneliness.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008user View Post
Haha, its empty in Downtown LA. In NY, people are all around, keeping you away from loneliness.
Downtow LA has 50,000-60,000 people living there. Not manhattab, but it is certainly not empty.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
D.C. And Richmond Virginia traffic is really brutal too. I took a few road trips with some people down South before and they always plan to leave at a specific time to avoid DC rush hour
This is false. I will assume that you are not from Richmond and saw road signs heading "towards" Richmond. The traffic you hit was likely between Woodbridge and Fredericksburg which is san hour away from the city but still the suburbs/exurbs of DC

Old 08-16-2017, 05:59 PM

398 posts, read 382,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
This is the stupideat thing I have read all week. Venice is not even close to the top LA walkable hoods. And there is a huge need for people living in NYC to drive cars.
LOL, sounds like a person who has never visited NYC a day in their life...

https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Los_Angeles

Venice is 16th among nearly 100 LA neighborhoods in walkability. I used Venice since it's the rare walkable neighborhood in Los Mangeles and a neighborhood that people here would get since it's a tourist destination in LA.

NYC is the #1 walkable city in North America with the #1 public transit of any city in North America. Anyone driving a car in NYC (unless they're an Uber driver) is a colossal dope who is throwing thousands of dollars/year down the drain. You have world class public transit that costs a little over $1,000/year if you use the subway monthly pass.

https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

Before you call others stupid, feel free to take a look in the mirror, bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
There's not really a huge need at all. It's usually way more efficient to take transit in NYC. This goes for people getting around the city and also people coming into NYC from surrounding areas. More often than not, driving would be a huge inconvenience.

Less than 50% of households in NYC have a single car. Not individuals, entire households. And many that do share a single car + don't use it in their everyday lives, but instead to go places outside of NYC. Driving a car in NYC is really only the norm for the places on the outskirts like Staten Island and Eastern Queens.
Yeah, that guy has no idea what he's talking about. There is ZERO need to ever drive in NYC. #1 city in North America IN BOTH walkability and public transit. LOL at spending $6,000/year on car/insurance/gas (and I haven't even included parking fees, lol!) when taking the subway costs a little over $1,000/year. You might as well just flush money down the toilet bowl.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:05 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
LOL, sounds like a person who has never visited NYC a day in their life...

https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Los_Angeles

Venice is 16th among nearly 100 LA neighborhoods in walkability. I used Venice since it's the rare walkable neighborhood in Los Mangeles and a neighborhood that people here would get since it's a tourist destination in LA.

NYC is the #1 walkable city in North America with the #1 public transit of any city in North America. Anyone driving a car in NYC (unless they're an Uber driver) is a colossal dope who is throwing thousands of dollars/year down the drain. You have world class public transit that costs a little over $1,000/year if you use the subway monthly pass.

https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

Before you call others stupid, feel free to take a look in the mirror, bud.

Yeah, that guy has no idea what he's talking about. There is ZERO need to ever drive in NYC. #1 city in North America IN BOTH walkability and public transit. LOL at spending $6,000/year on car/insurance/gas (and I haven't even included parking fees, lol!) when taking the subway costs a little over $1,000/year. You might as well just flush money down the toilet bowl.
Venice has a walk score of 82. Not bad, but not really impressive. It lacks rail transit that even suburbs of LA have.

There is plenty of need to drive in NYC. The entire city does not function like Manhattan, and there is a crap tone of traffic there too.Not sure why people like to pretend NYC has Paris level transit.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:29 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Venice has a walk score of 82. Not bad, but not really impressive. It lacks rail transit that even suburbs of LA have.

There is plenty of need to drive in NYC. The entire city does not function like Manhattan, and there is a crap tone of traffic there too.Not sure why people like to pretend NYC has Paris level transit.
It's not the best in the world but it's tremendously better then what LA has. Traffic is bad in both cities but you have more options in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City