Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times

Advertisements

If Long Island counted as a city maybe it. It's listed as about the most segregated place in America and the only people I knew from there went on about how Obama isn't really black and that his father abandoned him because "that's what black men do." Not that they necessarily represent Long Islanders, they were cops and I think cops are a bit more prejudiced on average, but rightly or wrongly I think LI has that image. Other possibilities going by segregated index: Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee.

Although really this is potentially inflammatory and most places have some racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
The unfortunate and sobering reality is that racism exists everywhere. And it's not just in the U.S. and some other countries, but everywhere in the world of humanity. It's not something you can fight once and be done with either. You have to fight racism like you have to fight for freedom - constantly and vigilantly.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:14 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci boydlin View Post
I was driving to work this morning listening to WGN radio out of Chicago. The radio host was talking about the libertarian party and what appears to be a veiled attempt at racism, by wanting to allow 1st amendment rights to overceed civil rights of the 1960s. For example the host of the radio program asked his audience if they thought it was OK for a white restaurant owner to deny entry to their restaurant based on the color of skin (black, Mexican) and also if the reverse should be allowed, a black owner denying entry to his restaurant based on someone being white. The entire topic seemed sort of, well, awkward and a bit silly. I thought to myself- are their really still people who think that is OK in this day and age. I expected people to call in and be outraged at such an idea. The responses from callers were jaw-dropping. Every single caller...10-15 callers in all...said they thought it should be up to the owner of a business whether to discriminate on the basis of race (even though it is outlawed) the idea being that it would eventually put the owner out of business. Many callers thought that the 1st amendment is far more important than peoples civil rights. Some thought that being black was somehow the same thing as being overintoxicated at a tavern.
I was stunned. The DJ host was stunned. I'm sure many listeners were stunned.

Chicago has always had a reputation for closet racism, and I have often defended Chicago on this board, but I can't defend the amount of hate I heard this morning. The host went on to say ...

"I cannot belive we have this many callers that think this would be OK, to hang a sign that says no blacks allowed in 2010..we'll be back in a moment on WGN Chicago..on what I think is still planet Earth"

Is this a common attitude in many big cities...New York, L.A. etc? Are people really living in the 50s?

Read this article. It addresses fully this libertarian "1st Amendment" idea--and what would really happen (and what actually did) when businesses engaged in discrimination:

A lesson for Rand Paul: Under Jim Crow, black folks’ money didn’t matter | Cynthia Tucker

Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Long Island, many Mid-west Cities, DC/Baltimore...

Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Any large city where the majority are Republican would fit the "most closet racism\ bigotry" criteria. But right off hand, I don't know of any large cities [500,000 or more] that vote Republican.
no, Republican cities are where they will be more openly racist people because they don't care who knows it. Democratic cities will be where there are more closet racists because people are trying to be politically correct.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Ive heard that Metro Detroit is the most or at least one of the most segregated areas in the nation. Other midwest cities are also segregated like that. Chicago, Milwaulkee, Grand Rapids, Indianapolis are all very segregated. Rural Michigan and Indiana have a long history of klan activity, and militia too. There are far more tense race relations in the midwest than there are in the South or Northeast.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
St. Louis seems very segregated. Whenever I'm there I hardly ever see black & white people interacting. They seem to keep their distance from each other. In Memphis, I see blacks & whites interacting all the time.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:37 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
Chicago, for one. While I didn't see much racism when I visited, in retrospect I thought that whites were the vast majority (when they really aren't). I didn't see many blacks where I was.

DC seems pretty segregated. It's diverse, but not necessarily 'integrated.' Birds of the same feather and whatnot.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,634 times
Pretty much anywhere. A more difficult question would be coming up with the least racist cities.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
St. Louis seems very segregated. Whenever I'm there I hardly ever see black & white people interacting. They seem to keep their distance from each other. In Memphis, I see blacks & whites interacting all the time.
Yeah St Louis is really bad. They seem to be one interracial crime away from an all-out race riot. Black-white relations in the south might be love-hate, but at least there is a long history of interaction. Can't say the same for many of the rustbelt cities. In fact, segregation was pretty much a direct response to black migration to the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City