Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's common among most racial groups in my experience. They always talk crap about each other behind closed doors.

Im 36 now, but I remember 13 years ago, one day I babysat my then 5 year old sister while my parents went to a church function. I was already living out of town but was visiting. Anyway, my sister was a kindergartener at the time and she was playing with her toys while I was working on the computer when I heard her say to one of her dolls "no, we can't hang around black people cause Inkham(her best friend) said we're not supposed to!". Something to that affect.

Well, I immediately put down what I was doing and called her over(gently of course) and I picked her up and put her on my lap. Now as a person of color(Polynesian), I felt very disturbed by what I had just heard. So I ask my sister to repeat to me what she just said and she said "My friend Inkham said that we shouldnt play with black kids".

I told her to look directly into my eyes and listen carefully to what I was about to tell her. I asked her "Do you think that God loves everybody?", "Yes" she replied. "Do you think he cares if they are black or white or whatever?". "No, he loves all of us" she said.

So I told her, "If God loves all of us, then shouldnt we love all people no matter what color they are?" and she said "Yeah, I think that makes sense".

I then said, "You have to promise me that from now on, you will be fair to all people and be kind to all people no matter how they may be different from us, okay?"--she said "I promise" and we hugged and I let her go back to playing with her toys.

Well, time went on and I totally forgot about it until I attended her high school graduation this last June. She was one of the speakers and she talked about lifes lessons learned and she shared our experience with the crowd and I started crying because I was brought back to that moment so many years ago.

I guess my point is, if we want to see change and if we want to make a difference, the best way we can do that is by being a good example to those around us and help them to see that underneath our differences, we are all basically the same inside.

PS. Her friend Inkham is now engaged to a Black man. LOL
Damn, great story! +1 I can't rep you.

Unfortunately, I didn't have older siblings who were that much older than I was (my oldest sister is only 5 years older than me), so there wasn't anyone with wisdom who could impart such great advice to me.

I have a much more blunt way of seeing things. Whatever goes behind closed doors is common in almost every single place. I grew up in a mostly Latino area here in Los Angeles, with my closest friends being Latino and a lone White guy. At the end of the day, we are do the same things; we all wake up, we all go to work or go to school (or in my case, both), we all love our pets, we all love our kids (not that I have any, but its to illustrate a point), we all eat, and we all go to sleep. When we get cut, we all shed the same red blood. When we die, God/Allah (I'm Muslim, so hear me out) doesn't discriminate in how you will rot in the ground.

People are people, at the end of the day. Despite our preconceived notions of different groups of people, we are all trying to survive on this rock that we all call home. At the very base of it, we are all just trying to survive. Sure, I LOVE to learn all about different cultures, eat different foods (YUM!), date different ethnicities, but I never forget to always judge a person not by what their group does, but what the person does.

I always tell other people that if you value some sort of honor, honor people by giving everyone a chance. Don't shoot down someone before you get to know what they really are about. If you do, you may be shooting down future opportunities that you wish you could have gotten in on. Also, at the end of the day, don't blame everyone else for your problems BEFORE looking at what you could have done yourself to change the situation you're in.

I want to echo your statements by saying: be a good example. Sure, we all may jest about other people, but it becomes something else when you begin to act on those misplaced feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:36 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
They basically live on stereotypes in the southern cal area and people are superficial. In many cases they will let their racism show if you do some things to provoke.
+10. The SoCal area is easily among the most racially conscious areas of the US. You could cut through the racial tension with a machete, it is that thick here...

The animosity (often hidden) between the races is just insane at times it is almost unbelievable at times...

Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ive heard that Metro Detroit is the most or at least one of the most segregated areas in the nation. Other midwest cities are also segregated like that. Chicago, Milwaulkee, Grand Rapids, Indianapolis are all very segregated. Rural Michigan and Indiana have a long history of klan activity, and militia too. There are far more tense race relations in the midwest than there are in the South or Northeast.
Indianapolis and Milwaukee are two of the most racially integrated cities in the country. Maybe you should do some research before making comments that you know nothing about.

Scroll down until you see the list of cities:
Racial Integration in 100 Largest Metro Areas

Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 PM

803 posts, read 1,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
+10. The SoCal area is easily among the most racially conscious areas of the US. You could cut through the racial tension with a machete, it is that thick here...

The animosity (often hidden) between the races is just insane at times it is almost unbelievable at times...
Funny thing is this though. When you go online and ask them about why what is what they ATTACK you. They call you a bigoted redneck and everything for even thinking that way and they truly believe that racism does not exist in their area. Two users on here in particular are examples of that.

I sound bitter because I just imagine myself in those shoes ya know. I imagine myself being the Indian guy living in SoCal who wants to be with a Latina but can't because he knows the whole society there hates his type. Fortunately down south I got that opportunity but I know out west I would not have had that opportunity.

They say the south is racist, the ONLY racism I have encountered here was from Hispanic guys who migrated here. They were from Long Beach, threw a fit and tried to jump me because I was with a Latina they didn't even know. I mean they were STUCK on the belief that all Indians date and marry by arranged process. I am glad I don't live in that rathole.

That is the thing about Liberal areas, people are SOOOOOOO RACIST but they deny it to no ends and try to defend their racism with "facts".

Old 12-04-2010, 05:07 PM

803 posts, read 1,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Damn, great story! +1 I can't rep you.

Unfortunately, I didn't have older siblings who were that much older than I was (my oldest sister is only 5 years older than me), so there wasn't anyone with wisdom who could impart such great advice to me.

I have a much more blunt way of seeing things. Whatever goes behind closed doors is common in almost every single place. I grew up in a mostly Latino area here in Los Angeles, with my closest friends being Latino and a lone White guy. At the end of the day, we are do the same things; we all wake up, we all go to work or go to school (or in my case, both), we all love our pets, we all love our kids (not that I have any, but its to illustrate a point), we all eat, and we all go to sleep. When we get cut, we all shed the same red blood. When we die, God/Allah (I'm Muslim, so hear me out) doesn't discriminate in how you will rot in the ground.

People are people, at the end of the day. Despite our preconceived notions of different groups of people, we are all trying to survive on this rock that we all call home. At the very base of it, we are all just trying to survive. Sure, I LOVE to learn all about different cultures, eat different foods (YUM!), date different ethnicities, but I never forget to always judge a person not by what their group does, but what the person does.

I always tell other people that if you value some sort of honor, honor people by giving everyone a chance. Don't shoot down someone before you get to know what they really are about. If you do, you may be shooting down future opportunities that you wish you could have gotten in on. Also, at the end of the day, don't blame everyone else for your problems BEFORE looking at what you could have done yourself to change the situation you're in.

I want to echo your statements by saying: be a good example. Sure, we all may jest about other people, but it becomes something else when you begin to act on those misplaced feelings.

If you are a Black or White guy you can do that in Southern Cal without any animosity. Then again I am speaking from personal experience.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:06 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Indianapolis and Milwaukee are two of the most racially integrated cities in the country. Maybe you should do some research before making comments that you know nothing about.

Scroll down until you see the list of cities:
Racial Integration in 100 Largest Metro Areas
NYC and Miami look to be pretty high in segregated living, while having a sizable minority population, in both measures they list.

The Republican-leaning cities vary. Jacksonville, Florida looks fairly integrated according to it. Oklahoma City looks to be in the top 40 for integration in both measures, but not as high in either as Jacksonville. Tulsa, Knoxville, and Mobile maybe don't do so hot.

The idea that NYC or Miami is more racist, or "closeted racist", than OKC or Jacksonville is intriguing. Although data like this doesn't really prove such a thing as I don't know if I think you can prove such a thing.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:35 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Funny thing is this though. When you go online and ask them about why what is what they ATTACK you. They call you a bigoted redneck and everything for even thinking that way and they truly believe that racism does not exist in their area. Two users on here in particular are examples of that.

I sound bitter because I just imagine myself in those shoes ya know. I imagine myself being the Indian guy living in SoCal who wants to be with a Latina but can't because he knows the whole society there hates his type. Fortunately down south I got that opportunity but I know out west I would not have had that opportunity.

They say the south is racist, the ONLY racism I have encountered here was from Hispanic guys who migrated here. They were from Long Beach, threw a fit and tried to jump me because I was with a Latina they didn't even know. I mean they were STUCK on the belief that all Indians date and marry by arranged process. I am glad I don't live in that rathole.

That is the thing about Liberal areas, people are SOOOOOOO RACIST but they deny it to no ends and try to defend their racism with "facts".
I grew up in the South myself so I feel what you're sayin'. I felt like I was treated more as an individual as a kid there much more than I do living in the supposedly "tolerant", diverse multicultural mecca that is the state of California. And as a liberal/progressive, it does pain me to acknowledge that what you said about supposedly "liberal" areas does often true more often not unfortunately...

Old 12-05-2010, 03:58 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
There isn't a city that is without closet racists and the term is odd, as people's actions speak for themselves in some way, shape or form.

Also, it is tough to use the integration/segregation thing, because it varies by region and ethnicity within races still could be a basis for a neighborhood. That is the case many times in the NE and MW. That also doesn't mean that there isn't interaction in other facets of life in those cities and proximity can sometimes be as good as the "integration" or bad as "segregation" itself depending upon access. I think that is the key(access).

Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 AM

42 posts, read 108,581 times
I would say Atlanta one time at school some boy hit me called me mean name's and kept hitting me so i hit him back and i got blamed for the whole thing the boy was white and the teacher was taking his side because she is white and he is white and i'm black and i got in trouble even for the stuff he did and i herd about something that only white people was allowed to this certent event

Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 AM

42 posts, read 108,581 times
You are right Miami and NYC are segrgated in Miami you have area's were white's live only jew's live only cuban's live only hatian's live only black's live only and were your Indan's live only miami is really not that integation city like many people think same thing with NYC everybody is sepret every body in miami talk bad about the cuban's and Haties and pretend they are not part of the city I just don't get why people juge other's by there race it's stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City