Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

[quote=Stephen1110;16924752]Oakland is one of the most underrated cities.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/...4610ba2f75.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dIMqzMBeF6...ke+merritt.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/...0c201c.jpg?v=0

You'll be amazed of what Oakland has to offer
I agree 100 percent!When first vsited about 8years ago,i was so suprised!Jack London Square wa neat!My friend I stayed with lived in a middle class neighborhood that was extremely diverse.The transits system from Oakland into San Fran was very easy to use.You would think Oakland was some unsafe whole in the ground the way people talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
afonega1, wrong? What do you mean? I said Philadelphia has been improving, but it still has ways to go. More people HAVE BEEN MOVING to PHILLY for the last few years. I also awknowledge that they got Target and some more stores in the area. However, the Liberty tower Galleria mall is struggling with high turnovers. I'm not talking about the loss cause E. Market St. Galleria. There are alot of vacancies on Chestnut/Walnut Streets. It can be worst, but there is still some decent retail/restaurants in Center City. I still think the city is overrated.
Every city in America has week points,but Philly's strong points should never be discounted.Well you are entitled to your opinion.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So of all the stuff said on this post you came at me with this crap?All the untrue crap that he said about Philly and Atlanta but yet you come like you always do after me?I thought you claim to be fair?Or is it you just want to TRY and "SHOW ME UP"?
Ok I'll bite.I could be wrong.I have admitted mistakes before.But you know exactly what I am talking about just as Durf dooes.
If you can honestly tell me that San Jose outshines San Fracisco in every measure of a city then so be it.Thats your answer then Ill wait to see what others will say.
Is San Jose economy is bigger than Philly and Atlanta ?Why is it not listed anywhere as such that I can find?

I never said it was unnkown.Go back and read how this started and get back with me before you pick a sentence out like a "hawk" ready because you apparently have some angst toward me.
What are you talking about. I just pointed out the obvious. When I see somebody say San Jose doesn't have a CSA (and it is a CSA I have lived in, and it is the 6th largest CSA in the U.S.), yes it is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

Again your post:

Quote:
LOL.Blah blah blah!Shoulda,coulda woulda!Its usually MSA or CSA is how GDP is measured.If it is a consolidated county then the whole county and its surrounding lesser metro areas are included for ALL CITIES.Why dont you put Phillys CSA up against San Jose?Oh thats right San Jose does not have a CSA.Why?Because it never will as long as San Francisco is around,thats why!Hence a real city with real economic might.
Of course you didn't say it was unknown, you flat out said it doesn't have one, when in fact it is the largest populated city of the CSA it is in (higher populated than San Francisco and Oakland)

San Jose is a real city, sorry to break it to you, and it is in a CSA. By pure metrics it is actually a larger populated city than Atlanta, as well as a more densely populated city than Atlanta. It doesn't have the history of Atlanta, or the institutions but all other indicators point to it being a real city.

It has nothing to do with you, but if you don't like me quoting you maybe you should just fact check a bit because that is an obvious blunder. I would have corrected anybody and do so frequently.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,297 times
Kansas City is America's most underrated city. The area is incredibly dynamic and absolutely distinguishes itself from most other midwestern cities. It's in a good position geographically, is not in terrible shape economically (I think), and is much more cosmopolitan than people think it is.

Louisville is definitely one of my favorite cities. It's easy to appreciate the way it melds midwestern and southern culture, the beautiful bluegrass country surrounding the city, its history, its funkiness, the Ohio river, the downtown revitalization, the Derby, etc. It's a great place and one that too many people don't know about.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:
Ohio248 or Manhattan248, ofcourse I know that Soho and Tribeca are not near WTC. That's the problem with so called "downtown" of New york. It's only on the edge of downtown or Lower Manhattan, no impact on the financial district. Are Soho and Tribeca all that? Like I said, it's like Greektown for Manhattan. Soho and Tribeca got some stores but those districts shut down after 9:45 every night, and I'm the only one walking in those areas, a Big Disappointment!
I owe you an apology for calling you delusional in another thread for saying that San Jose had a better downtown than San Diego and Seattle. I see that you've moved from the West Coast to take on Philly and NYC, which makes you nothing short of BRILLIANT!

No other poster would dare take on NYC, and then there's you. When you are done trashing Manhattan, maybe you can take on London and Tokyo for not having a Target or Ross in their downtowns. And speaking of the Target you keep referring to in Downtown San Jose, you are right, NYC has nothing on this:

target - Google Maps

But you should have told us in the beginning that there was a Panera Bread and Marshall's nearby, because that would have shut us all up early on.

Go Team Durf!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,612 times
sdurbanite, there's so much to San Jose that I couldn't possibly list all the things San Jose has. I apologize. There's so much going on in San Jose and so many pluses that it makes it difficult to go over everything. That's why I said bloggers please visit San Jose before going off that San Jose ain't all that. As for European and Asian cities, I would not dare to take them on. They're truly world class and not to be mess with.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What are you talking about. I just pointed out the obvious. When I see somebody say San Jose doesn't have a CSA (and it is a CSA I have lived in, and it is the 6th largest CSA in the U.S.), yes it is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

Again your post:

Of course you didn't say it was unknown, you flat out said it doesn't have one, when in fact it is the largest populated city of the CSA it is in (higher populated than San Francisco and Oakland)

San Jose is a real city, sorry to break it to you, and it is in a CSA. By pure metrics it is actually a larger populated city than Atlanta, as well as a more densely populated city than Atlanta. It doesn't have the history of Atlanta, or the institutions but all other indicators point to it being a real city.

It has nothing to do with you, but if you don't like me quoting you maybe you should just fact check a bit because that is an obvious blunder. I would have corrected anybody and do so frequently.
I NEVER SAID San Jose was not a REAL city!!I would never say that because I dont even think like that about places.I do think that some cities are laid out better than others.
I have no problem being corrected(even if it happens to be you)but I find it amazing that you pass through all that crap some posters were inaccurately saying about Philly,bt quick to once on a minor detail.

Charlotte is more populated than Atlanta so what your point?We were talking about GDP because Durf did not like the response with the listing of GDP rankings.

Once it was not I who was saying Philly is not a real city that should get recognition.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
sdurbanite, there's so much to San Jose that I couldn't possibly list all the things San Jose has. I apologize. There's so much going on in San Jose and so many pluses that it makes it difficult to go over everything. That's why I said bloggers please visit San Jose before going off that San Jose ain't all that. As for European and Asian cities, I would not dare to take them on. They're truly world class and not to be mess with.
So is San Jose better than San Francisco in your "BAZARO" world?
Lets do a list!
San Jose vs Chicago
San Jose vs Miami
San Jose vs Montreal
San Jose vs New Orleans
San Jose vs Seattle
San Jose vs Savannah
San Jose vs???????

Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
Quote:
So is San Jose better than San Francisco in your "BAZARO" world?
In Durfworld, NYC has no city center, and San Jose is MUCH more urban than Manhattan!

He actually claimed this on another thread.

So, yeah, he will probably say SF is a sleepy suburb of San Jose or something.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,612 times
Manhattan248, yeah, San Francisco is a suburb of San Jose, according to the U.S. census. Manhattan is vertical suburb, and San Jose is a city with a real downtown. Sorry. I don't like suburbs! I'm a downtown person.

afonega1, San Jose is better than Savannah, Miami, and Atlanta. Chicago, New Orleans, Montreal and San Francisco are better than San Jose. Even New York, without a downtown, is better than San Jose only because the media feels this way and its 8,400,000 population. I also like its energy and different neighborhoods. People in New york are nice and helpful. By the way, New York is much more urban with its 8,246 highrises. It just that San Jose has a nice, defined downtown which New York doesn't. The food is only ok. Seattle is a tie with San Jose. LA, with its crappy downtown, is better than San Jose because of its population, climate, beaches, attractions and Hollywood. If I had to choose between New York and LA, I'd definitely choose LA for sure because LA has better weather, more fun things to to and more cool neighborhoods like Melrose, Silverlake, Grove, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica's 3rd st, walk. Rodeo Drive and Robertson Blvd. I didn't even touch base about Disneyland and Universal Studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City