Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
Memphis is underrated.
Yep, as is Bellingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 AM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,163 times
Portland, Oregon is also underrated.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,612 times
14andyou, just said that to make these bloggers happy.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
14andyou, just said that to make these bloggers happy.
Gotcha. I thought you were actually serious for a moment. I was having a hard time believing you honestly thought that New York City was superior to San Jose. I mean, NYC might compare favorably with places like London, Paris and Tokyo...but San Jose's clearly in a different league.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,612 times
I'm abivelent.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
I'm abivelent.
Not the word I was searching for.......

Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
I don't know about Portlant being underrated where I'm coming from. All you hear about in urban design and transportation classes is Portland Portland Portland.

I would have to say that the highest concentration of underrated cities is in the South, followed by cities in the rust belt. The cities in the South are growing by leaps and bounds for a reason you guys, and they get knocked down so much simply because they are in the South, which is supposedly the backwards land of the Confederacy still. Rust belt cities are actually doing ok by rustbelt standards in this economy and some of them are pulling out of this bad economy and leading the way, so props. I also think smaller cities in large states with 2-3 large popular cities are overshadowed and underappreciated/underrated. My overall top 10 list:

1) Pittsburgh (land of the Carnegies and the Mellons, awesome neighborhoods everywhere, great museums and universities, recently diversified economy and can't be considered "rust belt" anymore...think Biotech)
2) Philadelphia (as Seth Myers said recently, Charleston = most friendly, Portland = most intelligent, and Philadelphis = also a city, LoL)
3) Annapolis (Williamsburg can suck a D, Annapolis is awesome and stunningly beautiful, too bad it's nestled between DC and Baltimore and gets overshadowed)
4) Richmond (heavily overshadowed by DC, but it has the Fan! and lots of companies HQ'd there, though my hometown did steal CSX )
5) Jacksonville (completely overshadowed by Miami and Orlando, but Jax is growing, has a great economy by FL standards, and is not nearly as boring as people who have never even been say it is...and most people who have been don't know where to go)
6) St. Louis (friendliest town I have been to and one of the coolest, lots of STL pride!)
7) Nashville (beautiful areas like Belle Meade, Vandy is there, and downtown is actually awesome...and not everybody listens to country, there is actually a diverse music scene there and Limelight is a lot of fun)
8) Providence (though I hate everyone I know that goes to Brown and it shouldn't even be an Ivy, and I hate Prov. politics, the city is downright cool and easily overshadowed by Boston and NYC, and Newport is nearby!)
9) Indianapolis (wow, it hits you with surprise like a frying pan to the face, this city has one of the coolest and most well done downtown areas in the country, and the Canal district, there is a lot to learn here)
10) Cleveland (my favorite Ohio city, built around Standard Oil, this city used to be one of the greats and still has some of the best bones in the country, lots of beautiful buildings downtown and some nice areas around the lake, which doesn't catch on fire anymore! )

I have to include 1 more:

11) Kansas City MO (another MO city that just hits you with a frying pan like Indy does, lots to learn from KCMO and Country Club Plaza is literally one of the coolest areas in the country, also downtown has like 10 different restored and vibrant warehouse districts)

Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,509,300 times
I agree,a lots cities of Midwest

Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM

25 posts, read 140,043 times
It's funny because Houston has a better skyline that Los Angeles ..
the city is huuuuge and offers much more than local cities and any southeastern city..
I mean not even Atlanta would come close to Houston

Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 AM

254 posts, read 369,740 times
Quote:
Manhattan248, yeah, San Francisco is a suburb of San Jose, according to the U.S. census. Manhattan is vertical suburb, and San Jose is a city with a real downtown. Sorry. I don't like suburbs! I'm a downtown person.
I don't understand how durf can compare the downtowns(not including other areas) of cities like this:

New York:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...n-skyline.html

Philly:
http://www.eesolutions.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Philadelphia_skyline_from_south_street_bridge.jpg (broken link)
http://www.eesolutions.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Philadelphia_skyline_from_south_street_bridge.jpg (broken link)

San Francisco:

File:Sf-skyline-twin-peaks.30jun2004.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Atlanta(still obviously not in the same league as the others):

Taken by me - S5000568.jpg picture by gtjared - Photobucket

with...

French Creole | Creole Slang

Obviously these are just skyline shots but they usually area a pretty good indicator of the overall city.

And the Target and grocery stores bragged about in San Jose are things located in any suburb or these cities, honestly not something that should even be located in a downtown... Anyone that has any sense at all can see that durf's posts have been completely ridiculous and I just hope he has been joking the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City