Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
whatever. i'll take my NNJ a** anywhere I damn please in my own state thankyouverymuch you shoobie. LOL
Lol @ Shoobie, I haven't heard that in a while. Since Rocket Power (Nickelodeon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 06:04 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Greater Tokyo:
"A 2007 UN estimate puts the population at 35,676,000,[4] making it the world's most populous metropolitan area. It covers an area of approximately 13,500sq km
That's crazy, the Dallas CSA covers almost twice as much land as the Tokyo metro, but the Tokyo metro has almost 6 times as many people!

Tokyo is damn compact - and our cities are damn spread out. If Dallas was that dense over the entire CSA land area, it would have over 70,000,000 people!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Exactly. How is someone from PA going to tell someone from NJ to stay out of NJ?
Why don't you stay out of NJ & spend your summer weekends sunbathing in Amish country.
Ha very amusing although somewhat misguided.

South Jersey and its barrier islands are a creation of Philadelphia not necessarily New Jersey who is preoccupied with the state N of the 7A exit. If it werent for Philly and PA. South jersey would resemble remote wilderness seemingly forgotten by its own state.

In todays 2 Philly newspapers The Inquirer and Daily news there is a 30 page Summer Shore guide that will help turn the forgotten 5,000 person barrier islands into 100,000 person vacation destinations.

Yep Cape May,Wildwood Crest,Stone Harbor,Seas Isle,Ocean City,Avalon you know the whos who of best beaches in NJ? They are all in South Jersey and They owe much of their fortune to the Philly area. Those condos and beach front houses? Most of them are second homes from people who live in the Philly area.

And of course the Multi millions in GDP generated does not get counted in Phillys economic statistics for whatever reason. NYC probably gets credit for that too, somehow.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
I would imagine Tokyo is a very uncomfortable place to live with that type of density.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I would imagine Tokyo is a very uncomfortable place to live with that type of density.
I agree, I couldn't live somewhere like that.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:49 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
we? you don't even live at the shore!
Ehhh, close enough to be angry at some of the shoobies, and far enough to also be one (also, I was waiting for someone to bring this up). We're really not a part of the Philly Suburbs and not close enough to the shore either. We're kinda inbetween and spend most of our time in the shore area. The nearest major U.S. city to me is Atlantic City (it takes me 1/2 an hour from my driveway to get to the Trop), I go to the Hamilton Mall (lets be honest, the Cumberland Mall sucks), I've gone shopping on Asbury Ave (Grass Roots is 90% of my reason for going), when we're bored we usually go to the beach, I remember going to the Cape May Zoo as a kid, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. As entertaining as Snookie is, it's just plain moronic to stereotype the entire Jersey Shore (including NNJ) as teeming with guidos. While SH is loving the publicity, I can imagine everyone in the rest of NJ's shore towns are banging their heads against a wall.
She's not even from Jersey, nor is she Italian! That's what really bugs me. That, and the rumor that the show would be shot in Sea Isle. I'm also sick of people not from the area asking me if I go fist pumping, know Snookie, why I'm not a guido, and if I go to Sea Side.

Quote:
am I welcomed if I'm a respectful guido?
Ehhh, you'll still get funny looks I'm willing to bet.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Ha very amusing although somewhat misguided.

South Jersey and its barrier islands are a creation of Philadelphia not necessarily New Jersey who is preoccupied with the state N of the 7A exit. If it werent for Philly and PA. South jersey would resemble remote wilderness seemingly forgotten by its own state.

In todays 2 Philly newspapers The Inquirer and Daily news there is a 30 page Summer Shore guide that will help turn the forgotten 5,000 person barrier islands into 100,000 person vacation destinations.

Yep Cape May,Wildwood Crest,Stone Harbor,Seas Isle,Ocean City,Avalon you know the whos who of best beaches in NJ? They are all in South Jersey and They owe much of their fortune to the Philly area. Those condos and beach front houses? Most of them are second homes from people who live in the Philly area.

And of course the Multi millions in GDP generated does not get counted in Phillys economic statistics for whatever reason. NYC probably gets credit for that too, somehow.
This is very true. The South Jersey Shore, as well as many parts of South Jersey, was mostly developed by people from Philly as a means of escaping the summer heat(or as a stop on the way there). Examples range from Dr. Pitney(did I get it right?) who founded A.C. and the railroad for Philly (via ferry transfer in Camden) that made it boom to Sea Breeze (now an almost defunct bay town) spurred on by the use of steam boats as an easy means to get to an area with clean air and open water.

P.S. Sorry for the double post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City