Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I agree, one reason why I have a hard time ranking Florida as third.
ok, but when talking about "liberal" places in the south, its all relative. florida is still the most liberal state in the census classified south (besides MD, DC and Delaware). florida does have SOME of the most socially conservative laws, and voters, but still less so than georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The thing with NC is, most of the Dems here are Bluedogs. NC has a stronger Liberal undercurrent than say MOST Southern states(I agree with this), BUT overall(outside of Asheville, Raleigh/Triangle Area, and Charlotte) NC is LARGELY Evangelical, Conservative, Bible Belt country, like the rest of the South, heck even Cabarrus County where I currently live, right outside of Charlotte isn't much different than what you will find, in say, maybe Ponte Vedra FL.
heres the thing, charlotte is liberal by southern standards, but not by national standards. people in kentucky think cincinatti is liberal, people in cleveland will laugh at that. it all depends on where you define the center. by european standards barack obama is a moderate conservative.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
As does the rest of the South.
I have homes in both NC and FL and can tell you that Florida's state laws are more conservative than NC's. To your assertion referenced above, don't count those chickens just yet. For instance, NC is the only state in the South that doesn't have a "marriage amendment" in its state constitution. This is because NC is completely controlled by Democrats. Florida is completely controlled by Republicans (well....almost, now that Crist has gone the big "I" to run for Senate). Florida is the state where its Republican AG recently hired George Rekers to testify on the behalf of the state to keep its gay adoption ban in place. For those who don't know, the married Rekers is a founder of the Family Research Council that eventually became Focus on the Family (conservative think tank/PAC) but was recently caught returning from a 10 day European vacation with a 20 year old "rent boy". This is the sort of disfunctional conservatism that seems to be all too typical in FL.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
This thread is getting tired now lol I hate politics.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I have homes in both NC and FL and can tell you that Florida's state laws are more conservative than NC's. To your assertion referenced above, don't count those chickens just yet. For instance, NC is the only state in the South that doesn't have a "marriage amendment" in its state constitution. This is because NC is completely controlled by Democrats. Florida is completely controlled by Republicans (well....almost, now that Crist has gone the big "I" to run for Senate). Florida is the state where its Republican AG recently hired George Rekers to testify on the behalf of the state to keep its gay adoption ban in place. For those who don't know, the married Rekers is a founder of the Family Research Council that eventually became Focus on the Family (conservative think tank/PAC) but was recently caught returning from a 10 day European vacation with a 20 year old "rent boy". This is the sort of disfunctional conservatism that seems to be all too typical in FL.
I have lived in FLorida and NC also. You're just picking and choosing laws, and examples. I mean, laws don't really determine everything, as far as a states political spectrum goes. I mean, look at Prop 8 in California. Most of Florida's conservative areas are north Florida, which completely skews and botches the liberal areas of points South of Orlando. And I don't think the party of the Gov. who runs the state is that big either, and again look to Cali for example(Arnold). I think NC has and undercurrent of Liberalism that is unseen in other Southern states, but I think because of places like SoFla, Florida gets the edge. South Florida's Liberalism extends to it's burbs.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM

^ Agreed.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
ok, but when talking about "liberal" places in the south, its all relative. florida is still the most liberal state in the census classified south (besides MD, DC and Delaware). florida does have SOME of the most socially conservative laws, and voters, but still less so than georgia.
Not quite. Gay adoption is not illegal in Georgia.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
People might as well cross out the Gay marriage bills. No large state will vote for that. If CA didn't do it; I doubt NY and especially TX and FL will.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:38 PM

^ Good point.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
The existance or non-existance of laws might not be a good indicator as well at least in present terms. It is more an idicator of the time the law was passed (also check and see how much support it had as well). Oftentimes changing a law can lag as well where it takes time for support to turn into action since legislative inertia is a big reason why many laws don't change even the status quo makes no sense or has support in changing it. Oftentimes it takes more than 60% approval for legislators to act on a particular issue since most hate touching legislation that has divided support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City