Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
North of Virginia(which is North of the Carolinas), South of New York, and South of the Mason-Dixon Line.......

Maryland is the South.......

Sorry if you can't accept the truth...........
seriously though, youve yet to explain why. youve yet to do this a single time. you have just posted "maryland is the south, sorry you cant accept that" over and over again. go ahead and lay it down. say what defines that south, and why maryland fits that description
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Maryland is a mid-Atlantic state with much closer ties to the states to the north. Baltimore and DC have much more in common with the northeast than the south. the eastern shore of Maryland would be more southern but that's about it. Maryland=north.

Now for the most liberal southern state: Puerto Rico.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
One. Every southern state is conservative. IN fact, every STATE in the nation is conservative. The only reason many states went blue is becasue they have large urban areas in them such as Illinois, and New York.

Texas is predicted to become blue within the next two election cycles because of it's changing demographic and the Republicans have already stated so. Also, culturally, Texas is Southern. Not Southeastern but in no way is the majority of the state Midwestern. Texas is Texas above all things though. Al Green is also correct. There is a great chance that Texas elects it's first democratic governor comes November.

Democrats Stage a Revival in Texas | The Nation
The Nation said that?? LOL! The Nation is one of the most liberal magazines out there. The only way Texas is ever going to go blue again is because of illegal alien amnesty which Obama is working on so he can get more votes for his party. I have never seen a real liberal before, most of whom I have seen are nutjobs and out of the mainstream of America.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you're embarassing yourself...

what does bush have to do with anything? that one man does not represent the entire state. what a silly comment to make

yes mccain won texas, but that was then and this is now. the elections are this year and texas finally has a realistic chance of having a democratic governor (ex-houston mayor bill white). in the second most recent poll showings, republican rick perry (who is becoming increasingly less popular) only had a 49%-43% lead over white...AND let's not forget that houston, TEXAS is the largest city in the nation to ever elect an openly gay/lesbian mayor. 2010 could potentially be the year that texas makes history

and texas more midwestern than southern? what were you doing when everyone else was paying attention in geography class?
Yes, but nationwide the Democrats are not doing so hot thanks to Josef Stalin Obama and Nancy Mao Zedong Pelosi.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
seriously though, youve yet to explain why. youve yet to do this a single time. you have just posted "maryland is the south, sorry you cant accept that" over and over again. go ahead and lay it down. say what defines that south, and why maryland fits that description
I've posted information already to back up my statements....

Its not my Fault you missed it or intentionally ignored it...........

Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Maryland is a mid-Atlantic state with much closer ties to the states to the north. Baltimore and DC have much more in common with the northeast than the south. the eastern shore of Maryland would be more southern but that's about it. Maryland=north.

Now for the most liberal southern state: Puerto Rico.
Opinions which does not remove the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State and the most Liberal Southern State...................

Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I've posted information already to back up my statements....

Its not my Fault you missed it or intentionally ignored it...........
ok wheres it at then

Old 06-11-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
ok wheres it at then
Look for it start by searching the key words: the South, DC, or Miami......

I posted some pictures of the Mason/Dixon Line........

Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Look for it start by searching the key words: the South, DC, or Miami......

I posted some pictures of the Mason/Dixon Line........
so thats it, mason dixon line.

you arent arguing that DC is culturally southern, but simply part of the south by the traditional definition. if thats the case, then you are correct, and missouri and Delaware are southern by that definition as well

Old 09-29-2010, 10:53 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I would say Florida, since proportionally there are a lot more transplants and outsiders in Florida than in Virginia. Northern Virginia is very populous but still has only 30% of the population, and of these only SOME are Northeast transplants. Plus some are immigrants and while Hispanics tend to vote liberal due to illegal immigration, many Asian Americans, especially those who are Christian, vote Republican. The rest of Virginia has relatively few transplants and basically is the real South.

Florida is overrun with transplants from northern states in ALL of its major cities....Miami, Orlando, Palm Beach, Tampa and even Jacksonville now I've heard. Many of these, especially those from areas like New York and Chicago, are liberals. Especially the retirees since older people tend to vote the most and many are retired folks from the Northeast who vote for Democrats. Also culturally Florida has a more permissive culture especially around the beach cities obviously. Virginia outside of NOVA is very conservative. North Carolina is also seeing more and more transplants that are making some areas more liberal as native SOutherners are overrun but that is still a small portion of the state and most of NC is still natives, thank God for that. Same with Georgia. Outside of Atlanta, even in many Atlanta suburbs, most people are conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City