Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 PM

24 posts, read 214,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Living in both NC and FL, I can tell you that, as a state, Florida is more conservative than North Carolina. There are some parts of Florida that are quite liberal but a very large part of the state is VERY conservative.
As for South Florida, its transplants aren't just Northeasterners. For that matter, a huge number aren't even US citizens. And, as a whole, the Cubans that control Miami politics are far from liberal.
Likewise, in NC, there are parts that are much more conservative than others. But, unlike Florida, NC doesn't have a large right-leaning metro area like Jacksonville. In the end, one only has to look at the state government in place and the laws on the books to see that Florida is not very liberal at all.
True. The Gulf side of Florida is made up mostly of people from backwards, uneducated states such as Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Living in both NC and FL, I can tell you that, as a state, Florida is more conservative than North Carolina. There are some parts of Florida that are quite liberal but a very large part of the state is VERY conservative.
As for South Florida, its transplants aren't just Northeasterners. For that matter, a huge number aren't even US citizens. And, as a whole, the Cubans that control Miami politics are far from liberal.
Likewise, in NC, there are parts that are much more conservative than others. But, unlike Florida, NC doesn't have a large right-leaning metro area like Jacksonville. In the end, one only has to look at the state government in place and the laws on the books to see that Florida is not very liberal at all.
While what alot of what you say is true, on the flip-side, NC doesn't have a LARGE metro(non-college influenced) in which every county is reliably Democrat on the scale of South Florida. Broward County in particular is one of the most reliably Democrat voting large counties in the South..Florida has more of a purple hue, rather than a red one. Miami-Dade even with it's large Conservative Cuban population, still manages to pull out a majority Democrat vote every election. And with NC, once you travel a small ways outside of Charlotte city-limits, and Raleigh, it starts to get pretty Conservative.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,373 times
Default Liberal South?

I totally agree! I can tell you that contrary to disinformation out there, there are educated, southern founder-related, spiritually-minded, and liberal southerners out there, such as myself, who are equally frustrated with the disrespect that has taken hold of our nation as a whole. What we seem to have now is so much dissimilarity to what our immigrant, radical forefathers represented, literally and figuratively. Lets be honest, the modern day conservative mirrors the founding fathers only by their grip on a politically endorsed brand of religious fervor, whereas, paradoxically seem to dismiss their acceptive, open-minded attitudes that founded our nation. Hmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
I understand we all have our own opinions, but this part sounds very.... almost on the verge of wrong to me. What is the problem with becoming more liberal on certain topics? I'm not saying that being a left wing liberal is right or wrong, nor is being a right wing conservative(both have their downfalls).... Why can't people make their own decisions about what they choose to be right or wrong, instead of using their backgrounds as the only substantial justification of their beliefs? Im not attacking you, I just don't understand why I can't be a native southerner, and at the same time have more liberal(sometimes much more liberal) beliefs than my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City