Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah I think FL and VA are the most liberal, thanks to transplants. NC & GA would be next, followed by TX. This is mostly because of Northern transplants.
I can agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ After seeing what Bush did to the US Texas is probably last on the list for being liberal. Also I'd count Texas as more midwestern than southern. True there aren't any states in the south that are fully dominated by liberals but Florida comes the closest.
you're embarassing yourself...

what does bush have to do with anything? that one man does not represent the entire state. what a silly comment to make

yes mccain won texas, but that was then and this is now. the elections are this year and texas finally has a realistic chance of having a democratic governor (ex-houston mayor bill white). in the second most recent poll showings, republican rick perry (who is becoming increasingly less popular) only had a 49%-43% lead over white...AND let's not forget that houston, TEXAS is the largest city in the nation to ever elect an openly gay/lesbian mayor. 2010 could potentially be the year that texas makes history

and texas more midwestern than southern? what were you doing when everyone else was paying attention in geography class?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you're embarassing yourself...

what does bush have to do with anything? that one man does not represent the entire state. what a silly comment to make

yes mccain won texas, but that was then and this is now. the elections are this year and texas finally has a realistic chance of having a democratic governor (ex-houston mayor bill white). in the second most recent poll showings, republican rick perry (who is becoming increasingly less popular) only had a 49%-43% lead over white...AND let's not forget that houston, TEXAS is the largest city in the nation to ever elect an openly gay/lesbian mayor. 2010 could potentially be the year that texas makes history

and texas more midwestern than southern? what were you doing when everyone else was paying attention in geography class?
Lol @ just letting the fact that McCain won Texas override like that wasn't a big deal. "That was then this is now" Lol...that wasn't that long ago AT ALL. Ok Texas is located in the southern portion of the US but it's still midway to the west, more so than southeastern states. That's all good that Texas is making moves to become less Conservative even with all those millionaire's that get rich in their little "clubs full of oil" aka George Bush's boys...Texas will and was always known as a conservative state.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Florida is a formerly Spanish territory that wasn't settled much until Northerners came. Miami was largely founded by a woman from Cleveland. The parts of Florida that remain more Southern are highly conservative in voting pattern.

Looking through voting on issues I'd say Virginia then North Carolina or North Carolina then Virginia. Those two are also partly because of Northerners moving in, but I believe before the Civil War they had a relatively high percentage of free blacks and some parts of North Carolina had some notable abolitionist sentiment. The "Defense of Marriage Act" for Virginia passed, but by just 57%. Granted it was stricter than Florida's, but I think pretty strict amendments on gay issues do much better in several Southern states.
I had to rep you because you know Florida history! Miami was founded by a widow from Cleveland named Julia Tuttle ( we call her the mother of Miami) and she persuaded Henry Flagler who founded Standard Oil to bring his railroad down to Miami after a huge freeze in northern Florida where all the orange crops perished.
Flagler was a Yankee from Hyde Park, New York and he built all of the resorts along the east coast of Florida from St. Augustine to Palm Beach to Miami and unto the Keys with his overseas railroad. Miami is a city that was founded by Northerners.
Outside of northern Florida & the Panhandle (lower Alabama) which had a lot of southern influence and was involved with the Confederacy, Florida has very deep Yankee roots!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Lol @ just letting the fact that McCain won Texas override like that wasn't a big deal. "That was then this is now" Lol...that wasn't that long ago AT ALL. Ok Texas is located in the southern portion of the US but it's still midway to the west, more so than southeastern states. That's all good that Texas is making moves to become less Conservative even with all those millionaire's that get rich in their little "clubs full of oil" aka George Bush's boys...Texas will and was always known as a conservative state.
One. Every southern state is conservative. IN fact, every STATE in the nation is conservative. The only reason many states went blue is becasue they have large urban areas in them such as Illinois, and New York.

Texas is predicted to become blue within the next two election cycles because of it's changing demographic and the Republicans have already stated so. Also, culturally, Texas is Southern. Not Southeastern but in no way is the majority of the state Midwestern. Texas is Texas above all things though. Al Green is also correct. There is a great chance that Texas elects it's first democratic governor comes November.

http://www.thenation.com/article/dem...-revival-texas

Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah I think FL and VA are the most liberal, thanks to transplants. NC & GA would be next, followed by TX. This is mostly because of Northern transplants.
I disagree; Texas happens to be a very large state geographically; you have plenty of moderate to Liberal areas scattered around the state unlike Georgia.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
3 states come to mind:
North Carolina
Virginia
Florida

Politically:
All 3 states voted Democratic in 2008 election [all other Southern states went Republican]. The governors in North Carolina & Virginia are Democratic, Republican in Florida. North Carolina & Florida's senators are one Democratic & one Republican; both Virginia's senators are Democratic [but so is Arkansas also]. These are not necessarily good examples however, because other Southern states have voted Democratic in presidential elections [ie. Georgia] in the past 40 yrs. Also even liberal states have had Republican governors [New York\ Massachusetts\ California, etc.]. All 3 states also have large urban areas that consistently vote Democratic [Florida=Miami\ Virginia=Richmond\ North Carolina=Raleigh & Charlotte]. But large cities across the South tend to be liberal [Dallas\ Houston\ Austin\ Atlanta\ New Orleans\ Little Rock\ Charleston, etc].

Culturally:
Miami is very gay-friendly but so is Atlanta\ Houston\ Dallas\ Austin, etc. Ethnic\ racial diversity is high in Florida [less so in Virginia & North Carolina]. Only North Carolina has decriminalized marijuana compared to Virginia & Florida [but this info is dated].

This is a tough call but my inclination is to say Florida is the most liberal.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 PM

All this talk about what Texas will be like in the future, and don't get me wrong I hope Texas does what it says to do, but still, Texas is still conservative lol.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
One. Every southern state is conservative. IN fact, every STATE in the nation is conservative. The only reason many states went blue is becasue they have large urban areas in them such as Illinois, and New York.
What's your definition of conservative?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
All this talk about what Texas will be like in the future, and don't get me wrong I hope Texas does what it says to do, but still, Texas is still conservative lol.
Yes but every state at heart is conservative except for a couple states and every state in the South at heart is conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City