Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 94 59.49%
Houston 64 40.51%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times

Advertisements

Houston: Watch it before you knock it! Watch the first two videos at least!! The rest, it's optional!!

YouTube - One Day in Houston
^^ That one is a MUST see for everyone. By the way, I never knew we had a ferris wheel in downtown? Lol @ Yao Ming in the video.

YouTube - Get to Know Houston
^^ Keep in mind this one is 6 years old, a lot has changed since then, haha, thanks Oprah! LOL at the last 20 seconds..

YouTube - Houston Skyline

This is part of our Chinatown- it's connected:

YouTube - Chinatown Houston
Hong Kong Mall: Yes a whole mall with nothing but Chinese clothing stores, electronic stores, and jewelry stores.

YouTube - Hong Kong Mall 06

YouTube - Houston's New Chinatown
^^ Okay, so people have the wrong impression of Chinatown Houston, they think it looks like some strip mall, it's not, well it is, but that's only from the front, the back side looks like any other Chinatown. It's got a few different looks to it. The first video is Jade temple which is in the backside of the so called "strip mall chinatown" everyone else see's... and there are some stores back there too. But yes, it's nor really like some authentic and traditional chinatown like SF or NYC.
Also these videos are for the new Chinatown in Houston, I can't find any for the Old Chinatown in Houston that's located in downtown...

Our Vietnam Town:

YouTube - A day in Viet Nam town (Houston, Texas)

Texas Medical Center- Houston:

YouTube - Texas Medical Center

Reliant Stadium:

YouTube - MATTHEWS MEGASTRUCTURES: RELIANT PARK Trailer

This was on the news in India about new newly named "Mahatma Gandhi District in Houston":

YouTube - Mahatma Gandhi District in Houston

We have 4 new lines coming into our Rail Transit:

YouTube - METRO Solutions Light Rail Expansion Project Video

YouTube - Houston Light Rail Transit

Jazz is pretty big here (I am Lucky, because it's my favorite genre):

YouTube - Sax`Pack at Houston Jazz Festival

House of Blues- Downtown:

YouTube - Paul Potts at House of Blues Houston 7/7/9

YouTube - Snoop Dogg House of Blues Houston, TX

YouTube - Jay-Z at the house of blues houston
^^ Then again his wife Beyonce has a nice house in Sugar Land for when she comes to visit her family here in Houston.

Moody Gardens:

YouTube - Moody Gardens, Galveston, Texas

YouTube - Moody Gardens

Galveston the history of it:

YouTube - Galveston Storm of 1900

Galveston Island/Beach:

YouTube - Galveston Beach
Spring Break Footage: (I find the Miami music kind of distracting from Houston Metro!)

YouTube - Galveston Beach
Galveston Overview (If you want to see what Galveston looks like- watch the video):

YouTube - GALVESTON.COM: Galveston Island Tourism

Minute Maid Park (Houston Astros):

YouTube - MINUTE MAID PARK

Houston Dynamo Stadium (Under construction as of March 20th!!):

YouTube - Dynamo Stadium

YouTube - Houston Dynamo Stadium story on channel 39

Toyota Center:

YouTube - Toyota Center

Houston Astrodome (First domed stadium ever- Historical sports site now, still exists):

YouTube - Astrodome Scoreboard Goes Dark 09/06/1988

Kemah Boardwalk:

YouTube - Kemah Boardwalk: Have Fun on the Job!

YouTube - Kemah Boardwalk

YouTube - Kemah Boardwalk i Kemah Texas

Kemah Boardwalk Aquarium: (Just one segment of it, it's got more)

YouTube - Kemah Boardwalk Aquarium

Houston Water Wall & Transco Tower (Both former names):

YouTube - Water Wall - Houston, TX Near the Williams Tower, Uptown Galleria

YouTube - Water Wall Fountain-Houston
^^ As you can see, there's people of different culture literally everywhere...

Houston Zoo (Baby Giraffe born!!!):

YouTube - Masai Giraffe Born at the Houston Zoo - Jan. 30, 2009
Zoo in general:

YouTube - Coquerel's Sifaka newborn

YouTube - Have you heard a cheetah purr?

Rice University:

YouTube - Rice University: A Campus Tour

University of Houston:

YouTube - University of Houston - main campus - 01

The Galleria:

YouTube - Galleria Mall Houston by OFFICIALBESTOF.COM TV & TRAVEL

Houston Uptown:
(Fireworks)
YouTube - Thanksgiving Fireworks In Uptown Houston,Texas
(General)
YouTube - 23rd Annual 2008 Uptown Lighting in Houston Texas on Thanksgiving night

Houston Ship Channel:

YouTube - The Houston Ship Channel

San Jacinto Monument:

YouTube - San Jacinto Monument

Alright that's just for starters... I'm getting tired now, I'll put the other stuff later.

Good Night!!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:47 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Ouch. Bit of an overload there.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
- Education Ha! Boston trumps Houston on this one.

- Diversity (economy) Boston

- Diversity (culture/people) Houston, but Boston has a large presence of students from all the colleges

- Diversity (languages) Houston

- Cost of living Houston

- Skyline Houston has a bigger skyline, but I do find the waterfront setting of Boston's to enhance it's skyline.

- Shopping Boston, believe it or not. Newbury Street, Copley Place, Prudential Center, Natick Collection, etc.

- Port/Trade Houston

- Food Houston

- Ethnic enclaves
Boston. Houston is less segregated than Boston

- Overall economy Houston. Though Boston has fared decently during the recession

- Population (City proper & Metro) Houston has a larger MSA, but Boston being the largest city in New England has a much larger area of dominant influence that stretches from Rhode Island to New Hampshire and even southern Maine.

- Public transportation Boston. The T is old and creaky, but it gets you around.

- Airport Houston. Logan in Boston is a clusterf*ck of the highest order.

- Roads Houston. Much easier to get around, and their freeways are pretty damn fun to drive when there is no traffic. You couldn't pay me to drive around Boston

- Sports (College)
Boston

- Professional sports (and their venues)
Boston for it's fans and Houston for venues. Although I like Fenway better than Minute Maid due to the history and ambiance. When I was in Boston last week, I was in a bar when the Sox were playing the Detroit Tigers. Needless to say, the Sox lost and I thought there would be an outright riot in there, LOL.

Regarding earlier commentary, I'm a southerner, and I voted for Boston. I like Houston, but I like Boston better for many reasons, particularly for the culture and vibrancy. However, I don't know if I could deal with their winters though. Also, if you're young and single, you may like Boston better, whereas if you're a part of the Minivan Majority, Houston may be a better place for you.

Last edited by grindin; 05-24-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
I just voted Phoneix over Philly, but now I'm going with Boston over Houston. Maybe I'm confused?

Houston has just never done anything for me yet has the traffic congestion and other annoyances of a very large metro area. Boston on the other hand has one of the best and most vibrant urban cores in the country, it has less crime and blight issues than many northeastern cities have yet is so close to NYC as well as the recreation areas of the upper northeast corridor including Canada and Maine.

Houston has better weather and Galveston is nice. But the 100 mile radius of texas sprawl surrounding the rather un-impressive downtown area is depressing and there are few places to go nearby other than New Orleans or South Padre, neither of which are close.

So Boston by a landslide.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post
- Overall economy: Houston. Apparently this is what more top investment banks and consulting firms think, too, because slightly more have opened offices in Houston than in Boston. Half of the jobs created in the US in 2009 were created in Texas for good reason.
I don't see how that really shows Houston is doing better though...it would make sense why consulting firms wouldn't be moving to Boston...four of the top ten management consulting firms on the planet--The Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Co, L.E.K. Consulting, and Monitor--are already based out of Boston...with BCG & Bain ranking #2 and #3. There doesn't seem to be much incentive for many new, lesser-known (and lesser-connected to local businesses) consulting firms to move here.

In terms of investment banks opening more offices in Houston...Boston already has an enormous presence in financial services. We're behind only New York City and Chicago in the United States...Boston is ranked the #14 financial center on the planet (Houston doesn't rank in the Top 75). I'm not sure about the investment banking presence...but Boston is third in the world behind only New York and London in terms of hedge funds & private equity. Not to mention that there's already a very strong investment banking presence in our region already, with New York City & Fairfield County being far and away the most dominant investment banking area on the planet.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-24-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Think about it, in a hot and humid city, do you want to show outdoors? That's why there aren't really stores like that here.
I know you said you've been having a rough day, but I have to call BS on this. For as uncomfortably warm it may get in Houston, it gets just as bitterly cold in Boston. We seem to survive just fine...

Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I know you said you've been having a rough day, but I have to call BS on this. For as uncomfortably warm it may get in Houston, it gets just as bitterly cold in Boston. We seem to survive just fine...
I agree and the climate here in Houston hasn't stopped thousands of people from shopping at all of the new lifestyle centers around the metropolitan area. It's just an excuse if you ask me. If people are worried about sweating; there are plenty of ways to prevent it. Drinking lots of water for starters.

I suffer for Hyperhidrosis (look it up) and that doesn't stop me from getting out and enjoying life.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I only find it unbearably humid a few days out of the year in Houston. It's actually really nice outside right now. Maybe I should get off the computer and go outside. haha! Honestly, I find the constant rain to be more of a spoiler then humidity.

But we do have several very nice parks around Houston. Hermann Park probably the nicest urban setting park I've seen. It even tops anything I've seen in Austin or San Antonio which is saying a lot.

YouTube - Hermann Park, Houston Texas

I don't know how our parks would compare to Boston though, as I've never been to the city. My assumption would be that Boston has some very nice parks but they're vastly different from Houston's.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree and the climate here in Houston hasn't stopped thousands of people from shopping at all of the new lifestyle centers around the metropolitan area. It's just an excuse if you ask me.
weather is always an excuse. Not only is it an excuse. It's lame.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I only find it unbearably humid a few days out of the year in Houston. It's actually really nice outside right now. Maybe I should get off the computer and go outside. haha! Honestly, I find the constant rain to be more of a spoiler then humidity.

But we do have several very nice parks around Houston. Hermann Park probably the nicest urban setting park I've seen. It even tops anything I've seen in Austin or San Antonio which is saying a lot.

YouTube - Hermann Park, Houston Texas

I don't know how our parks would compare to Boston though, as I've never been to the city. My assumption would be that Boston has some very nice parks but their vastly different from Houston's.
Actually, Houston is slowly but surely turning into a very nice park city. Hermann Park is beautiful but the best urban setting is Discovery Green. If towers continue to build around the park along with the close proximity of stadiums nearby, it could easily become one of the best urban parks in teh nation. I'm sure Houston didn't know that Disco green would become that popular that fast as many other cities throughout the nation is giving Houston kudos for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City