Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major city do you no DESIRE to visit.Why would I go there?
Indianapolis 27 14.52%
Dallas 7 3.76%
Nashville 5 2.69%
Tampa 3 1.61%
Houston 19 10.22%
Charlotte 19 10.22%
Phoenix AZ 22 11.83%
San Antonio 0 0%
Oklahoma City 51 27.42%
Baltimore 5 2.69%
Atlanta 14 7.53%
Portland OR 4 2.15%
Los Angeles 6 3.23%
Philadelphia 4 2.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It might not mean he's well traveled, but I bet it means he knows a thing or two about geography.

I just returned from China and South Korea two days ago. Im overseas 4-6 times a year for my job and its taught me a thing or two. That is NEVER assume anything about any place until you have been there. For example, the people in Beijing are some of the nicest of any major city Ive ever been to. I never would have expected that there. Conversely, there are parts of Japan that are extremely slow. With Tokyo in mind, you wouldnt expect that there. Sao Paulo, Brazil is alive with Asian (particularly Japanese) culture. You wouldnt expect that in South America. I could go on and on.

North Korea was the real eye-opener of all my travels. My guide was making claims that I knew were absolutely stupid, yet I had to keep a straight face. He told me that Kim Il Sung invented the desk, that when Kim Il Sung died, 1 million cranes carried him to heaven, etc. I also learned that making eye contact with a foreigner for too long is punishable by years in a labor camp. At schools, they teach kids that they must not rest until all Americans are dead and South Korea is no more. The whole country is a facade based on showmanship. Yet, even with all of this said, I dont regret my trip at all. I had to go anyway for work to see if the consulate would allow some of my clients in for work.

If you havent been a place, the truth is, you know nothing about it. You can tell yourself you know about it, but you dont.
Excellent post, and what a fascinating trip that must have been!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd like to see everywhere at least once. If I'm not having fun, then whatever...it's all apart of the experience.

I'm surprised people have mentioned Detroit as a place they'd never want to go. I mean, it was formerly one of the most powerful cities in the country. I'd definitely want to see it if for no other reason than to see the skeleton of a formerly amazing city. Where else can you get such an experience?

Hell I'd even go to Phoenix. Worse comes to worst, I'll go ride out into the desert and pretend I'm in Red Dead Redemption.
I agree.Detroit truly interest me.I think people a lot of times let the reputation of a place proceed it prior to even someone visiting the place.I truly think some people dwell in ignorance.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Tell that to Johnatl, who has never been to Santorini, but yet says that CA is similar to it. Goes both ways.
Im not addressing that to anyone specifically, its just in principle.

You dont know a place (a city, country, or otherwise) until you have been there. Period.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Excellent post, and what a fascinating trip that must have been!
I dont regret the trip, but your couldnt pay me enough to go back to North Korea. South Korea on the other hand is a pretty awesome place.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
I would like to go anywhere, but places like Iowa, Wyoming, Washington (I've been there), the Dakotas, and a few other states just aren't on my radar.

One place I never want to see again though is Killeen, texas......that place just sucks so much.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I would like to go anywhere, but places like Iowa, Wyoming, Washington (I've been there), the Dakotas, and a few other states just aren't on my radar.

One place I never want to see again though is Killeen, texas......that place just sucks so much.
Isn't that where Fort Hood is?

If so, it looks kind of "blah" in pics.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Only place I have been to in the US that I want to see again is Las Vegas. I've always gone back to Boston and Philadelphia multiple times too. I don't get tired of being in those cities. The biggest reasons I go back to Philly is to go to concerts, see the Braves (it's cheaper to go to Philly than get tickets locally at Citifield, lol) and also get cheese steaks, lol.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Isn't that where Fort Hood is?

If so, it looks kind of "blah" in pics.
It's worse in person.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:29 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Only place I have been to in the US that I want to see again is Las Vegas. I've always gone back to Boston and Philadelphia multiple times too. I don't get tired of being in those cities. The biggest reasons I go back to Philly is to go to concerts, see the Braves (it's cheaper to go to Philly than get tickets locally at Citifield, lol) and also get cheese steaks, lol.
Las Vegas is pretty one-sided. Been there done that. Only reason I would go again is if I want to have a drink with friends who are otherwise blowing their money.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

My cousin was stationed in Ft. Hood, and he hated it. He was moved over to Ft. Bragg in NC and liked it much better.

The only reason why I'd go to South Dakota is to see Mt. Rushmore, the Corn Palace, and:

http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/5/5e/Wall_Drug_9333_Miles.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City