Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major city do you no DESIRE to visit.Why would I go there?
Indianapolis 27 14.52%
Dallas 7 3.76%
Nashville 5 2.69%
Tampa 3 1.61%
Houston 19 10.22%
Charlotte 19 10.22%
Phoenix AZ 22 11.83%
San Antonio 0 0%
Oklahoma City 51 27.42%
Baltimore 5 2.69%
Atlanta 14 7.53%
Portland OR 4 2.15%
Los Angeles 6 3.23%
Philadelphia 4 2.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I guess my attitude is the way it is, because I'm Haitian, so I was already BORN with a multi-cultural upbringing, as apposed to other Americans who were raised by American-born parents and were raised in an American-type upbringing so they're SUPER-fascinated with things OTHER than America to the point of obsession.
Yeah, I wasn't raised in the traditional "American" sense as well being from Hawaii, although Haiti is far different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
man, y'all are trippin. killeen goes hard (well it WENT hard, back in the early-mid 2000s)

it's a military town of only about 100,000 people so you can't expect it to be this great culture filled city, but it was pretty crunk for it to be as small as it was. and you gotta love the rugged hills

i hear its not as fun nowadays, but it's growing with more to do. the last time i visited they had built a new shopping center-type-place on the east side
It's got great nightlife, but it ends there. I'd take Waco or Tyler over it any day. I like the surrounding area of Killeen though; Killeen just felt stale and dull to me.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
For me it was between Dallas, LA, and Oklahoma City. I don't really like the south, and I don't believe LA is as awesome and fun and interesting and glamorous and everyone says it is. Well maybe it is glamorous, but that's not an attractive quality to me. *shrug*

Do you consider Dallas "the south"? Or for that matter, OK City?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:44 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's got great nightlife, but it ends there. I'd take Waco or Tyler over it any day. I like the surrounding area of Killeen though; Killeen just felt stale and dull to me.
well the difference is that waco and tyler are more "real cities/towns". killeen has always been kind of like a big suburb that wasn't attached to a major city. but it's way too transient of a town to have any real character or soul. killeen is your typical walmart-generic mall-chain diner-high school sports type town. the only real spirit of the city was of course the army, but also the football and basketball teams

it was still crunk though, regardless lol

Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Any major city. Yes, any. Cities do nothing for me. Give me a rugged pacific coastline or a high rocky mountain cirque and we're in business.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
I made a list and deleted it-- this is just an invitation to a stupid argument. There ARE a number of places that I have no desire to see, and while I'm sooooo tempted to list them, I also see how other people's lists tend to annoy me, because they towns they slam-- well, they don't know them like I know them. It's a big world and there's room enough for each of us to find what we want.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:00 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd like to see everywhere at least once. If I'm not having fun, then whatever...it's all apart of the experience.

I'm surprised people have mentioned Detroit as a place they'd never want to go. I mean, it was formerly one of the most powerful cities in the country. I'd definitely want to see it if for no other reason than to see the skeleton of a formerly amazing city. Where else can you get such an experience?

Hell I'd even go to Phoenix. Worse comes to worst, I'll go ride out into the desert and pretend I'm in Red Dead Redemption.
I'm with you on this one about Detroit. I've always wanted to visit Detroit because of it's history- who cares if everyone left. That means less traffic to deal with while site-seeing. Of the list named, I guess I have no desire to visit Oklahoma City but I'd go for free; why not. As long as it's a "larger" place I shouldn't have a problem finding something to get into. Now the rural areas are the ones I stay far away from!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Do you consider Dallas "the south"? Or for that matter, OK City?
Yes. Texas isn't southern? Maybe not OK city...but what is Texas considered then? I'm in northern Illinois so maybe that's why I think that? accents, country music, fried chicken?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
I voted OKC but honestly I'd like to even go there....I want to see everywhere! There were quite a few cities on the list that I was tempted to pick simply because outside of a 1.) tourist attraction, 2.) nice weather, or 3.) great economy/nationally recognized I have absolutely no interest in visiting. The ONLY reason I picked OKC out of the bunch is because I know NOTHING about it and didn't even register in my 1,2,3 approach above, so it "lost" by default.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Yes. Texas isn't southern? Maybe not OK city...but what is Texas considered then? I'm in northern Illinois so maybe that's why I think that? accents, country music, fried chicken?

Texas is Texas. Tejano, Creole, Cajun, Midwestern, Southern, Western, Mexico, and more all mixed into one state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City